NEWS

Is there still a community for this game?

• 34 Replies

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #15 on: <06-10-11/1307:25> »
Unbelievable . . that piece of junk software actually got somebody interested in the classic shadowrun universe enough to come here, post, and think about getting some of the books . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #16 on: <06-10-11/1341:02> »
Is it a decent team-based shooter?  A bit, yeah.

Is it Shadowrun (As in, the IP that's been around for over 20-years), no.  Which is sad, because there is a very rich and interesting history that M$ could have used legally and would not have ostracized a very vocal group of people (IE:  Us.).  There's also the fact that anyone who researched the game further than just the Video Game Wiki or Website would see all of this, and go, "Hey, why did they write all of this, well, garbage when all this great stuff is out there?".

And that's as pleasant I've been about it since it came out.  You're welcome.

Bull, one thing I'll point out:  That's just the main rulebook you're suggesting.  How many items have sold if you include all the suppliments, adventures, PDF Books (Now), and how many novels?  I'm willing to bet one or two more than 162,000.  (I've decided that's my sarcastic font, BTW.   :P ).

Well, yes.  But my point was, a "bad" video game that was not a good seller was still bought and played by more people than have bought and played Shadowrun.  That's what I meant by disproportionate. 

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #17 on: <06-10-11/1353:17> »
Unbelievable . . that piece of junk software actually got somebody interested in the classic shadowrun universe enough to come here, post, and think about getting some of the books . .

Also, this right here is one of the reasons I encouraged people not to simple lambaste the game (or anyone who wants to discuss it).  It used to happen back in the day with the SNES and Sega games too, even though they were a bit more faithful, and it happened with the Shadowrun Duels game even.  People play them, then they go online to see what else is out there and they end up in the IRC channel, on the Mailing List, or at the Forums (Depending on the time period) asking about it.

At that point, there are two options...

1)  Rant and rave about how what they liked enough to look for more sucked, and scare them off.  Keep in mind that they liked it enough to go online and search for a source of more of this game.  That's a huge thing right there.

or

2)  Discuss it with them.  Be friendly.  Accept that they liked something you weren't a fan of, and use that to encourage them to give the Tabletop game and the "real" Shadowrun world a shot.

We need all the players and fans we can get.  Tabletop Roleplaying Games have always been fighting an uphill battle, and these days it's even tougher with the sheer volume of easily accessible recreational material out there (Video Games, MMOs, Card and Board games, not to mention the fact that there are hundreds, if not thousands of RPGS now, as opposed to the dozens that existed when Shadowrun started off). 

This is the same argument I had 15 years ago with Magic: The Gathering when it started to "invade" the local game shops and the local gaming club.  Besides the fact that I enjoyed it, it was also a gateway for new players.  Make friends with the CCGers, and then teach them RPGs.  Some of our most die-hard Shadowrun players back in the day started off as kids who came up looking for people to play Magic with. 

<shrug>

Embrace them.  Bring them into the fold.  Hrmmm...  ANd no I sound like a cult leader. :)

Heh.  Let's try this...

Show them why the Roleplaying Game and the RPG world is awesome, don't simply attack them for liking what you do not.  I know, this is the internet, and that goes against all modern internet "rules of conduct" for some dumbass reason, but still... 

Bull

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #18 on: <06-10-11/1449:19> »
Damnit Bull!  You're accusing me of suffering from the Eternal September myself!

OK, some part of that is true...   :-[
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheBigD

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <06-10-11/1737:35> »
The most frustrating thing about the latest SR video game is how much more it could have been.  I think Microsoft did it a huge disservice.  And the SR IP could make for such an awesome mmo.  The older Sega and SNES versions of the game were a blast to play, especially good when you consider the state of video game technology at that point.

To the OP, the game is better than what the video games make it out to be.  I hope you get into it, and bring some friends. :)

Yorick

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <06-10-11/1756:08> »
a GTA:seattle style shadowrun game would be fantastic. it really is unfortunate about the IP getting stuck where it isnt appreciated. but then FASA never was that great with keeping control of their own IPs.

heck, a shadowrun total conversion mod for one of the GTA games would be awesome.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <06-11-11/0512:24> »
Gaaah . . . GTA with Citymasters and Trolls with road rage? T'anks for the nightmares . . .

Cadco96

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <06-12-11/1210:35> »
It is great to see a community that is so supportive of it's game. Honestly, I have never even seen a tabletop rpg. Still yet, I do have friends that I know would be immediately interested when I bring it up. Of course I want to dive into some novels and the genesis game first so I can get a feel for the universe. This is not at all what I was expecting when I showed up to these forums. I am still going to go out and buy Shadowrun for my Xbox 360 later today. From what I can tell, Shadowrun did not actually mess anything up. It took the title that Shadowrun fans love and turned it into something that they don't care about, then put it in a genre where people who do not care about Shadowrun would play it. The only reason that this would make any sense is that the developers hoped the game would sell to actual Shadowrun fans and FPS fans. Now it seems to have hurt the game more, because if you don't actually dive in to the Shadowrun FPS community, there is a lot of negative feedback which is coming from real Shadowrun fans. I understand though. It must have been really hard to swallow for you guys when the new game stripped everything that you knew about the universe and made a FPS out of it. You must admit that the game is deeper than your typical FPS, and it uses some cool ideas with the whole "magic" idea, but I doubt that it really helps. Anyway, thanks for getting me into something new!

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #23 on: <06-12-11/1304:02> »
No Problem, you are nice enough ^^
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

EmperorPenguin

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <06-13-11/2210:10> »
This is the same argument I had 15 years ago with Magic: The Gathering when it started to "invade" the local game shops and the local gaming club.  Besides the fact that I enjoyed it, it was also a gateway for new players.  Make friends with the CCGers, and then teach them RPGs.  Some of our most die-hard Shadowrun players back in the day started off as kids who came up looking for people to play Magic with. 
Heh.  Let's try this...

Show them why the Roleplaying Game and the RPG world is awesome, don't simply attack them for liking what you do not.  I know, this is the internet, and that goes against all modern internet "rules of conduct" for some dumbass reason, but still... 

Bull

Bull, if there was an "Applaud and hug" button rather than just "Applaud", I would have clicked that instead.  It would have been a manly hug, I should note.

Roleplaying games are a lot of fun.  But are they the absolute pinnacle of gaming?  That is a matter of opinion.  People enjoy different types of games.  Even gamers enjoy different types of games (they just usually have a longer list).

I haven't been drawn into a multiplayer shooter since Team Fortress 2 and Left4Dead.  I thought the idea of PC and XBox 360 users gaming together was an interesting one.  Too bad it never panned out.

Folks here are right - Shadowrun the Box game sits on the tip of a huge pyramid of RPG backstory.  If you're curious, you should definitely check it out.  If not, I hope you find a community and enjoy your game!

Gibbersan

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <06-14-11/1239:48> »
I like the idea of a third or first person game in the vein of GTA placed in the Shadowrun setting.  Loved the old SNES and Genesis games (liked the Genesis game better).  Still have the carts around somewhere in the attic, even though my systems are dead.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #26 on: <06-14-11/1258:19> »
Well, we can hope the MMO lives up to our expectations.

We'll have Jagged Alliance MMO to judge by first, at least.  And the ability to bring torches and pitchforks if they look like they're about to do a bad job.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <06-14-11/2317:30> »
Wait what? Two short films?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <06-14-11/2331:25> »
Wait what? Two short films?
One was by FASA.  The other one makes me feel like FastJack trying to not pirate a 'Trid Broadcast.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <06-14-11/2332:16> »
Huh.  I guess I missed the FASA one.  I had no idea.

Register