Shadowrun General > General Discussion

Article on RFID tracking of people.

(1/10) > >>

The Doomed One:
I just saw an interesting article over on Singularity Hub about using RFIDtags to track people, and I though it was relevant.  

It figures that now that I am making this post I can't think of anything to say; I suppose something will come to me eventually.

FastJack:
Holy Crap! I opened the article and the first thing I noticed was the picture of Stephen Hawkins for another article. MAN, does he look bad nowadays...

Anyway, this has been around a while. Some pet-owners have been using RFID tags implanted in their pets for identification purposes. And then, of course, there's this; where a scientist had implanted an RFID device in his wrist for the security doors and such at work (instead of carrying the damn card) and they then programmed a virus on the RFID tag that would piggy back on other RFIDs, then infect computer networks they came in contact with.

The_Gun_Nut:
I think the problem most people don't see is the potential to abuse the system.  Sure, they can see terrorists bombing buildings with hijacked planes (over and over and over on the weekend of Sept. 11th), but they can't physically see future abuse.  It's not here right now?  So why should we fear it?

For those of you who think this short sighted, you are quite right.  Rules and laws are not made for those who play nice with others.  Restrictions are put in place to prevent the few dirty bastards from taking advantage of the nice people.

This has "Brave New World" writ large all over it.

Mystic:
It always comes down to the question: what is more important, security or privacy? All new technology has the potential for abuse. But normally the potential for such abuses are mittigated by a reasonably responsible society/govt/user. The obvious problem is that we dont HAVE a reasonably responsible society, govt, etc etc.

Sux don't it.

Walks Through Walls:
I essentially use a RFID tag to buzz in the door at work everyday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version