Shadowrun Play > Gamemasters' Lounge

Threshold explanation and examples request

(1/5) > >>

Major Doom:
Just a note, I'm planning on running Shadowrun 4th edition in a few months, so I'm looking some info.

This isn't a rules question, but more about seeking advice on how Threshold is adjusted by the GM.  The 20th Anniversary Core Rulebook is paltry on further explaining and providing examples of its use aside from the little table on the bottom of page 62, and a brief explanation on top of page 63.  I understand that Threshold relates to how difficult a test is, but what I don't understand is how is it utilized properly.  I know dice pool modifiers come into play more often then Threshold adjustments, but how would a GM gauge when something is Average in difficulty, for example, rather than Easy?

I would gladly appreciate any input.  Thanks in advance.

FastJack:
It's pretty much a judgement call. Spotting a 9' troll in the middle of the Renraku Arcology would be pretty easy. Seeing the same troll in the middle of the Ork Underground would be difficult.

Doc Chaos:
Basically its a question of "Is it easy/average/hard for the character". If you read through the descriptions of the skill levels you might get a good idea of hoe difficult its for characters with certain skill levels :)

Major Doom:
Yeah I read through the whole book.  Using GM judgment is daunting for a beginner to the system.  A few examples would of helped, since Thresholds fall into a gray area, in my opinion, as opposed to dice pool modifiers which are defined very well.

FastJack:
Easy is:

* Shooting the broad side of a barn. (Pistols)
* Finding the phone number of your local Stuffer Shack. (Data Search)
* Convincing the waiter you need a new spoon because yours is dirty. (Con)
* Dodging a water balloon - thrown underhand. (Dodge)
* Taking two aspirin for a headache. (First Aid)
* Noticing the Troll Bouncer looks mean. (Perception)
Average is:

* Hitting a troll-sized target at 5m. (Pistols)
* Finding the ShadowSEA. (Data Search)
* Getting a free dessert because your potato was cold. (Con)
* Dodging a water balloon - thrown overhand. (Dodge)
* Treating a paper cut with Neosporin and a Band-aid. (First Aid)
* Noticing the Troll Bouncer has obvious cybereyes. (Perception)
Hard is:

* Shooting a man sized target at 20m. (Pistols)
* Finding the corp wageslave at Renraku who has been reprimanded for 'abusing' his access rights. (Data Search)
* Convincing the maitre'd to seat you at his best table. (Con)
* Dodging a fastball. (Dodge)
* Setting a broken bone. (First Aid)
* Noticing the Troll Bouncer has synthetic cyberarms. (Perception)
Extreme is:

* Shooting a bullseye at 40m. (Pistols)
* Finding an access code to Jackpoint. (Data Search)
* Convincing the restaurant that you're a food critic and getting the meal comped. (Con)
* Dodging a bullet completely. (Dodge)
* Stabilizing a person that has lost a limb from dying of shock. (First Aid)
* Noticing the Troll Bouncer just activated his Wired Reflexes. (Perception)
These are very generic and may not hold true 100% of the time, but it should give you rough ideas on the difficulties of various tests.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version