NEWS

Lower Life Campaigns

• 43 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #30 on: <05-24-11/2249:44> »
No, the worst cops are going to be like unto Mid-Level Crime Lords themselves.

Only even more untouchable, because of the Blue Line.
They are only as untouchable you think they are. Shooting a Loner or a Kat in the street is a bad move, but behind closed doors in their own apartments another suicide is not going to turn heads.
I was referring more to the fact that they aren't going to be hassled by the cops, as they're cops themselves.  Even clean cops aren't likely to rat out their brothers in blue, after all.  And, if they are, well, cops deal with those guys in their own ways.

"World's Largest Gang" is sometimes used to refer to Police, and, in some jurisdictions, it's not that far off.

OK, I will say this now, I'm not saying *EVERY* cop is dirty or bent or twisted like this, but it does happen.  Power Corrupts and all.  So, for those folks on the board that are shield holders, I'm not singling any group out.  I hope you understand that.

And then there is IA.  Bloody rat squad that they are.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <05-24-11/2338:04> »
I am sure the level of corruption would only increase when civil protection is being provided by a corporation.  I mean if the worst district crime wise in a metroplex is still playing good with returns to the corp big wigs, why force the issue.  Just step up containment on the edges.... make sure you don't get it bleeding over into districts with more clout and voting power.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #32 on: <05-24-11/2348:17> »
The other thing to keep in mind about private security is that there is more than one company - and they will put some effort into making their competitors look bad.  It can actually work to the advantage of the PCs sometimes.  Maybe that Knight Errant cop giving the ork shaman broken ribs from kicking him when he's already down (while calling him a dirty Trog) would get swept under the rug normally, commlink recording of the whole thing notwithstanding.  But that nice Lone Star cop is so sympathetic, and he wants to make sure that the story of your plight gets out.

@baronspam: the German errata (which I have heard is in the newest English printings as well, although I can't confirm it) is relatively straightforward.  Metatypes pay Karma equal to their BP cost (orks cost 20 Karma, etc.), and Attributes are bought using the SR4A costs of 5 Karma per level (rather than 3 Karma per level).

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <05-24-11/2350:15> »
I give an example of the multiple security companies in my writeup of Winnipeg on the other board.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #34 on: <05-25-11/1520:20> »
You could also go the other way and make a Lone Star or Knight Armament "Strike team"; something along the lines of The Shield.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #35 on: <05-25-11/2311:01> »
Speaking of strike teams.  What law enforcement branches does the UCAS still operate?  ATF, CIA, FBI, NSA, CSIS? I should probably just dig out Lone Star, maybe that sourcebook has notes on how they interact with knight errant or lone star when conducting overlapping or taking over investigations.

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #36 on: <05-25-11/2313:13> »
On a side note, check out Elite Squad. The director Jose Padilha will be directing the reboot of the Robocop franchise.

Canticle

• Chummer
  • Chinese Take-out
« Reply #37 on: <05-26-11/1927:06> »
Speaking of strike teams.  What law enforcement branches does the UCAS still operate?  ATF, CIA, FBI, NSA, CSIS? I should probably just dig out Lone Star, maybe that sourcebook has notes on how they interact with knight errant or lone star when conducting overlapping or taking over investigations.

Well, the government of UCAS use the FBI (Target: UCAS page 13), it is really the only one left. I do like the idea of CSIS kicking around in Ontario and the other Canadian States. Does Spycraft have any info on this for those who have it? ¬¬ I'm waiting for the print copy.

Cass100199

• Chummer
  • Truth hurts only if you're a dumba**.
« Reply #38 on: <05-31-11/0022:09> »
Got to thinking about Donni Brasco and how all the low level mob guys were always hustlin'.  Just thinking it might be a little inspiration.
You can't tell me what toys I can play with.

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #39 on: <05-31-11/2029:27> »
yeah I started talking to some of the guys about what they had in mind.  They instantly went big... arms dealing, illegal gambilng, etc.  I said hey you guys are starting small.  You got to earn the big time stuff.   But I was pretty stoked that they were motivated scum bags!

Canticle

• Chummer
  • Chinese Take-out
« Reply #40 on: <05-31-11/2045:07> »
The first thing my teams usually do is steal a van. Mostly because they do not have one.

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #41 on: <06-01-11/1513:47> »
On my first SR4E campaign, the players started as underdogs and moved to corp runner status.

They started out with 350 BP, and they were involved in go-gang wars, underground betting fight clubs (sometimes against paracritters or bound spirits), arson, grand theft auto, extortion, blackmail and murder-for-hire (of low-class citizens such as a rival arms dealer or fence).

After about 10 sessions, they were already confortable with the setting and rules and had 50+ Karma on their sheets, so I just turned things up a notch. The campaign ended after roughly 30 sessions (in total) and they always told me that going from underdogs to AAA-grade runners was a hit. Your players will enjoy it for sure.
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.

Wickidsurfer

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <06-01-11/1844:17> »
Sweet! thanks for the insight, 7.  I hope they do!  Hopefully they don't get too much enjoyment out of being street scum that they end up staying that way!

The Seven

• Chummer
  • It only is paranoia if you can't prove it.
« Reply #43 on: <06-01-11/2006:14> »
Sweet! thanks for the insight, 7.  I hope they do!  Hopefully they don't get too much enjoyment out of being street scum that they end up staying that way!

Always a risk, but you can always get the "you're all grown up, now" message out. ;)

No, the worst cops are going to be like unto Mid-Level Crime Lords themselves.

Only even more untouchable, because of the Blue Line.
They are only as untouchable you think they are. Shooting a Loner or a Kat in the street is a bad move, but behind closed doors in their own apartments another suicide is not going to turn heads.
I was referring more to the fact that they aren't going to be hassled by the cops, as they're cops themselves.  Even clean cops aren't likely to rat out their brothers in blue, after all.  And, if they are, well, cops deal with those guys in their own ways.

"World's Largest Gang" is sometimes used to refer to Police, and, in some jurisdictions, it's not that far off.

OK, I will say this now, I'm not saying *EVERY* cop is dirty or bent or twisted like this, but it does happen.  Power Corrupts and all.  So, for those folks on the board that are shield holders, I'm not singling any group out.  I hope you understand that.

And then there is IA.  Bloody rat squad that they are.

I've always been a Vic Mackey fan. ;D
« Last Edit: <06-01-11/2007:46> by The Seven »
[the7 | abyssus abyssum invocat]

Quote from: Batou
Quote from: Major Motoko Kusanagi
What the hell did you use?
Your standard issue big gun.