Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

Looking for Street Sam Suggestions/Help

(1/4) > >>

Rhal:
I am working on making a Street Sam for an upcoming game. Can only use the SR4(A) book, with 400 BP.

What are the better metas to use? I probably won't do an elf, as about half to group seems to be doing elfs.

What do I need to be looking at for primary attributes? I am thinking body, agility, and strength?

I assume I will be needing at least automatics and probably blades.

Any suggestions, ideas, heck help of any kind would be great.

Makki:
Ork is the cheapest and you can focus more on melee. every meta works ofc. Humans lack some attributes, but make up for a more versatile skill set.
Actually Reaction is the most important. Not getting hit is more important than hit.
standard 'ware would be
Muscle Toner 2
Muscle Augmentation 2
Wired Reflexes 2

Automatics 5
Blades 5 (put a Bayonet on your Assault Rifel, but I think it's not in the core book.) You could also get Unarmed Combat instead, so you don't have to switch (or draw) weapons, as Unarmed Combat can be done by Kicking. in this case get either Aluminium Bones or bioware Bone density augmentation for more damage.

really everything else is whatever you want. Just don't make any attribute 1 and get at least 4 dice in Cha+Etiquette

Ten-Hex:
Human would be a decent choice if everyone else is playing elves... metahumans prejudiced against elves are not a rare thing in many games. Any of the meta races are viable otherwise... I'm partial to trolls, but they make obvious targets. Orks give  you a nice Bod/Str boost for the bp cost, and dwarves are tough little buggers as well (plus nice willpower) if you can handle the slow movement rate.

Makki's right about Reaction being an important focus. Wired reflexes 2 and reaction enhancers 2 will give you +4 Rea plus 3 IP, useful for defense.

Agility will be more important than Strength, so muscle toner 2 is a definite but the muscle augmentation 2 you may be able to do without.

Since you're taking Automatics and Blades (probably both at 5), I recommend getting the Athletics skill group at 4. All four of those skills come in handy to a street sam, plus you have Blades skill for melee defense and can use Gymnastics to defend against ranged attacks when  you go on full defense (it lets you skip taking Dodge). You may also want to pick up a Synthacardium 3, which adds +3 dice to all tests with the entire group (including your ranged full defense rolls).

Reflex recorders are a good way to squeeze more use out of your bp if you have resources left to afford them. For 25k (5bp), you can get an augmented skill rating of 4(5) in the above suggested Athletics skill group. For 10k a pop (2bp), you can increase the skill rating of other important things like Automatics, Blades, Perception, etc. As long as you haven't hit the 250k nuyen cap for resources (and any street sam should be spending 50bp on resources), you may as well get as much bang for  your buck as you can.

I highly recommend picking up an internal air tank. It's cheap, allows you to operate underwater and makes you immune to inhalation-vector toxins when in use.

Tricked-out cybereyes are a must, possibly with an ultrasound sensor in the head to support them. Being aware of threats is a critical skill for a street sam. Cyberears are also useful, although if you're tight on resources or essense just pick up an audio enhancement 3 inner ear mod to gain +3 dice to audio Perception tests.

A lower cyberarm with cyberarm gyromount also comes in handy. If you're not concerned about fitting anything else in, you can do this as a more subtle synthetic partial limb. The recoil compensation comes in very handy with automatic weapons.

Misc augmentations - a sleep regulator is cheap and very useful for any character. Also on your wish list of nice things to have should be platelet factories and damage compensators. The olfactory booster is nothing to sneeze at (pun intended)... it helps in threat identification, toxin detection, and even tracking individuals (you can build up a database of unique pheremone smells of people you know/targets). A breakable tooth compartment with an emergency dose of nitro (550 total cost) could be interesting. If you're using a traditional blade, it may still be useful to also have a retractable spur as backup (and to be able to pop it out as a free action and defend in melee with Blades).

Weapons - while the game mechanics don't really emulate the real-life advantages SMGs have in certain situations compared to assault rifles, I'd recommend picking up an Ingram Smartgun X as a backup or subtle weapon at the very least. It's a little more concealable than an assault rifle, can be used in one hand (useful to keep a blade out in the other) and comes with built-in gas vent/sound suppressor combo (only one can be used at a time, but very nice versatility to have). A solid weapon for the price.

Medicineman:

--- Quote from: Rhal on ---I am working on making a Street Sam for an upcoming game. Can only use the SR4(A) book, with 400 BP.

What are the better metas to use? I probably won't do an elf, as about half to group seems to be doing elfs.

What do I need to be looking at for primary attributes? I am thinking body, agility, and strength?

I assume I will be needing at least automatics and probably blades.

Any suggestions, ideas, heck help of any kind would be great.

--- End quote ---
Maybe You're asking ....the wrong Question ?
Wouldn't it be more interesting to know what kind of Character You want to play ?
A tough melee fighter maybe ?
If part of Your Group allready plays elves I'd guess that they have high AGI and are already using Ranged Weapons
What about a Troll Samurai ?
Not just a Streetsam but someone with a Bushido Codex
with a Katana & No-Dachi as his Daisho ?
with Martial Arts (from the Arsenal if You can get it) and a Troll sized Day Kyu
What about a dwarfen Pistolero ? maybe an Adept ?
How about a Cowboy with a bike (Harley Davidson & the Marlboro Man)
If we know more about what Kind of Char You want to play than we can help better

But the Way You ask.....its like You asking:
 "what is a good Card Game ? I want to play a Card game,which one should I play ?....

Hough !
Medicineman

Cass100199:
You could always go Human/ Adept and pick your skills, etc. based on the Grammaton Cleric(s). They have the Gun Kata MA in Arsenal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version