Shadowrun Play > Character creation and critique

Elf Hacker - new player

(1/5) > >>

user-unknown:
I haven't had a chance to actually play SR yet, but apparently my gaming group will be running a campaign pretty soon :D

I've had a look at creating an elf hacker with some face ability, hopefully haven't missed anything out?  First character so comments/criticism about things I have missed are welcome :)

EDIT: Build in this post is old - new one is up in Post #10 (http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3641.msg45842#msg45842 for the lazy ;) )

--- Code: ---
Emily "Epsilon" Caernarfon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
METATYPE: 30BP
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Elf

ATTRIBUTES: 180 BP
    Body 3
    Agility 4
    Reaction 3
    Strength 2
    Charisma 4
    Intuition 4
    Logic 5
    Willpower 3

Edge 2
    Initiative 7
    Essence 3.05

ACTIVE SKILLS: 154 BP

Electronics Skill Group 4 (Computer, Data Search, Hardware, Software)
    Influence Skill Group 1 (Con, Etiquette, Leadership, Negotiation)
    Hacking 6
    Electronic Warfare 4
    Cybercombat 4
    Pilot Ground Craft (Bike) 3
    Perception 3
    Pistols (Semi-Automatics) 2
    Dodge 2
    Unarmed Combat 1

KNOWLEDGE SKILLS:
    Still to sort out, think I get 27 free?

QUALITIES: -15BP

Analytical Mind
    Chatty
    Codeslinger (Hack on the Fly)

Combat Paralysis
    SINner Criminal
    Media Junkie (Mild)

GEAR: 37BP

Cyberware:
    Commlink
     - Base: Fairlight Caliban
     - Response Upgrade 5
     - Hot Sim Module
    Datajack
    Math SPU
    Cybereyes 3
     - Inclusive Eye Recording Unit/Image Link
     - Low-Light
     - Thermographic
     - Image Link
     - Smartlink
     - Flare Compensation
     - Vision Enhancement 2
    Cyberears 3
     - Inclusive Ear Recording Unit/Sound Link
     - Damper
     - Spatial Recognizer
     - Audio Enhancement 2
     - Select Sound Filter 2
    Control Rig
    Fiberoptic Hair

Software:
    OS: Novatech Navi, upgraded to System 5, Firewall 6 (1500+2500+6000)?
    Common (all Rating 6): Analyze, Browse, Command, Edit, Encrypt, Reality Filter, Scan
    Hacking (all Rating 6): Armour, Attack, Biofeedback Filter, Blackout, Decrypt, Defuse, ECCM, Exploit, Medic, Sniffer, Spoof, Stealth, Track
    Agents: 2 x Rating 3
    Other: 5 x Datasoft Rating 6, Tutorsoft (Unarmed Combat) Rating 3, Mapsoft Rating 6, random VR games, AR programs, etc.

Equipment:
    2x Sony Emperor disposable commlinks
    AR Gloves
    Biometric Reade
    Holo Projector
    Subvocal Microphone
    Tag Eraser
    Flashlight (Infrared)
    Medkit (Rating 6)

Weapons:
    Yamaha Pulsar (Taser)
     - 5x Spare Clips (Pulsar)
     - 2x Taser darts (10 shots)

Ares Predator IV (Pistol) - Integral Smartgun, Silencer, Concealable Holster
     - 6x Spare clips (Predator)
     - 9x Standard (Pistol) rounds (10 shots)
     - 9x Stick-n-Shock (Pistol) rounds (10 shots)
     - 3x Explosive rounds (Pistol) rounds (10 shots)

Armor:
    Urban Explorer Jumpsuit
    Urban Explorer Helmet
    2x Regular Clothing
    Armor Vest

Vehicles:
    Yamaha Growler

Drones:
    MCT Fly-Spy with Clearsight Autosoft (Rating 3)

Misc
    2x Fake SIN (Rating 4)
    2x Fake Licenses (Rating 4)
    1 month paid Low lifestyle

CONTACTS: 16BP
Still haven't quite decided but probably:
    Fixer (high loyalty)
    Bike Mechanic (very basic)
    AI? not sure what this could give me that I couldn't do myself though...

--- End code ---

Triggvi:
I see you have make the first of many rookie mistakes. You need to pay attention to your dice pools. a 15+ is good for your primary role, 12+ for your secondary role and anything less is functional but not exceptional.

There are cyber enhancement that would make your elf a cyber nightmare, but right now the character needs a huge make over.

Combat paralysis will get your character killed in either cyber combat or physical combat.
only having 5 or 6 dice for social skills is not even a backup face.

A response 5 comlink can't have a rating 6 hacking programs on it at start up, with out the restricted quality for each program.

Xzylvador:
Software: You can save Nuyen/BP by buying Rating 5 hacking programs, you can't run then at rating 6 anyway.
The common programs: get the Optimization Software Option for them, it costs 100Y per program, but lets you run them at <System>+1 instead of just <System>.
Hacking softs, by getting them R5 instead of 6, you can also get some software options on them.
Option I like the most (other than Optimization) is the Ergonomic option: Put it on the 5 programs you're likely to run the most (or all of the time, like Analyze & Stealth), and they won't count towards the program limit for lowering response.

Don't think you need to buy an OS if you're buying System and Firewall seperately. 1500Y saved.

You can also buy the Optimization option for your commlink too, will give you a +1 with one software. (Unwired, again)

See if you can squeeze in PuSHeD and/or Encephalon. (Augmentation)
If short on Nuyen/BP, it might be better -cheaper- to drop the Hacking skill to 4 and get Cracking skillgroup at 4 and then boost with 'wares/treatement.

-- Unlike Triggvi, I'd keep the social skills. I agree that 5 dice isn't enough to be a secondary Face, but that doesn't mean you'll never use those skills. The Face can't always be covering for you.
A makeover required? Not at all. 15+ dice make sense for streetsams and high-power games, for a hacker things are a lot different. You don't have a secondary role, but imo hackers don't need it at all, they already do all the matrix legwork.

Oh, one more thing, you've got that Rigger Coccoon, if you're planning on hijacking drones, get gunnery.

Triggvi:
I never said get rid of the influence group. I just commented that he was not secondary face.

user-unknown:
Thanks for comments- I was pretty sure I had made some stupid mistakes :)

I was mainly making this char to try and learn the rules - wasnt quite sure what style the game was going to be, however GM has just told me we are going to be special forces type characters so will have to remake significantly! I'll incorporate the suggestions about cyberwear and software for next version, hadn't seen that rating 6 wouldn't work on commlink.

Regarding face comments, I knew she was useless at it - gave her Chatty to compensate in VR but would only ever have been backup :). To be honest, will probably ignore this part when remaking and just increase weapon skills instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version