NEWS

What was VITAS?

• 61 Replies

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-25-11/0617:51> »
Which brings us to who had the knowledge and capabilities to arrange the VITAS pandemics . . .

this is a lot easier than you want to know.  Every biotech company and even every university with a bit of a biotech program can do this.    A good book on this is Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.  It's fiction, I know, but the science is valid and given some research I think it is possible to do things like that.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #31 on: <04-25-11/1015:06> »
It has always been easier to make something that kill us then make something that heal us.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Morg

« Reply #32 on: <04-25-11/1042:28> »
In some ways VITAS fluff makes it sound like a minor horror construct
« Last Edit: <04-25-11/1245:57> by Morg »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <04-25-11/1054:28> »
Government/Corporate Viral Weapons Programs.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <04-25-11/1258:58> »
Which brings us to who had the knowledge and capabilities to arrange the VITAS pandemics . . .

this is a lot easier than you want to know.  Every biotech company and even every university with a bit of a biotech program can do this.    A good book on this is Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.  It's fiction, I know, but the science is valid and given some research I think it is possible to do things like that.

Yeah, I know 'Rainbow Six' - didn't think much of the games, but really liked the novel.

But as far as VITAS-x goes, who would be the prime suspects?  Assuming it was in fact engineered and released as deliberate acts.  Not IEs or Dragons, they weren't awake for the first go-around.  Which leaves (mega-)corporate - there were much fewer at the time; policlub - such as? I mean, who benefited from the tens of millions of deaths caused.

Something else: in any of the published material, is there any mention of VITAS-x having an astral/mana aspect or component?

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #35 on: <04-25-11/1320:54> »
No.

ARCimedes

• Newb
  • /i\(;,;)/i\
« Reply #36 on: <04-25-11/1336:16> »
If the first VITAS outbreak occurred in 2010 and it WAS being used to get rid of certain family lines, to perhaps prevent certain phenotypes from awakening, then we would have to look at groups that were aware of magic and the cycles of mana prior to the awakening, which leaves us a fairly short list. One possibility would be the Catholic Church. Perhaps a shadow group in the church or maybe a cult offshoot of Christianity may have been behind it. I do not suspect any cults would have had the resources capable of developing the virus, though.

I also don't think the pharmaceutical companies were intentionally only looking for a treatment instead of a cure. For that to be a viable option, they would need a treatment that was required for the rest of the patient's life, not just until the body was able to fight off the virus. There is just not enough profit to be had in a short term treatment to bother with.

In my opinion VITAS was either a random mutation of an already existing virus or specifically designed by a military or shadow group for the purposes of reducing the population of a given area.It is possible that a government or shadow agency could have released it in Asia in an attempt to destabilize the region even further and the virus was more virulent than they had anticipated.

-ARCimedes
-ARCimedes

Are you sure you want a flame thrower?

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <04-25-11/1429:37> »
Do not forget it might have been accidental.  A corporation is working on some genetically engineered virusses and some get out of the lab, where they proved to be more deadly then anybody would have thought.  Maybe some environmental activists liberated animals who had it as part of a test, or there was an accident in the lab.  A biological version of Bhopal or Tsernobyl if you would.  Only difference is that virusses can multiply and radiation cannot.

Just speculating here, but all scenarios which can come true.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <04-25-11/1435:05> »
Maybe some environmental activists liberated animals who had it as part of a test...
I like this theory.  Blame PETA!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #39 on: <04-25-11/2339:39> »
It was Death, horrible burning itchy-rash Death.
Now who's up for ice cream? :D
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #40 on: <04-26-11/1136:25> »
ICE CREAM!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #41 on: <04-26-11/1419:14> »
YOU SCREAM!
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #42 on: <04-30-11/2020:36> »
There is a question or suggestion - NOT made by Lone Gunman - in one of the books that the VITAS epidemics might have been intended to get certain bloodlines out of the population before UGE (elves & dwarves) & Goblinisation (orks & trolls), although the timing is off there.  Someone jumped on the post in the book to the effect that they hoped it was merely speculation.
I have to wonder what kind of races we're missing out on, in that case.
Kwyjibo?  Immortal trolls?  Tall dwarves?  Fat elves?

Though...is there something in Earthdawn that's missing in Shadowrun?
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <04-30-11/2049:59> »
Obsidimen?

I played one once, and went around saying I could mill flour in my crack.   Strangely nobody ever needed flour around me.

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #44 on: <05-01-11/0222:47> »
Obsidimen might have turned up on Olkhon Island, between Russia and Yakut.  That's unconfirmed though.

T'skrang also have might-be appearances.