NEWS

Body Shop: Modular Cyberlimbs

• 17 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #15 on: <09-11-23/0117:52> »
SRM addressed this by requiring a Mount on the upstream side and a Connector on the downstream side. "Upstream" being toward the body and "downstream" away. (My term, not SRM's) But they also gave the Mount a Capacity cost, and had any downstream partial cyberlimbs reduce the upstream part's Capacity by their Capacity. Downstream parts do not cost any further Essence as that was paid for by the full limb.

So a modular Obvious Cyberarm would have an Essence Cost of 1.0 and Capacity 15, of which 2 Capacity is eaten by the Connector. The arm connects to a Modular Mount costing 0.4 Essence.

Adding a modular Cyberforearm to this limb would eat a further 10 Capacity for the forearm and 2 Capacity for another Mount. This basically leaves just one ynused Capacity for other stuff. The modular forearm itself has a Capacity of 10 of which 2 is eaten by the Connector. No further Essence is consumed.

Adding a modular Cyberhand similarly consumes 4 Capacity from the Cyberforearm plus 2 Capacity for the Mount. The Cyberhand has the standard 4 Capacity, but has two of that eaten by the Connector. Again, no further Essence is lost.

Interestingly, if you have a Cyber Torso you are attaching this all to, you save on the Essence cost of the first upstream Mount, instead eating Capacity from the Torso.

I would have liked the Capacity Cost of Mounts and Connectors to be reduced to 1 each, but I can live with 2.

My new question is - the Bulk Modification cyberlimb modification in 6E can add up to 4 Capacity to a cyberlimb OR partial cyberlimb. This is a change from 5E, where it had less effect on partial limbs. Does this mean each part (upper arm, lower arm, and hand) can each have 4 additional Capacity? Or can Bulk Modification only be applied once per limb, regardless of how many modular sections make up that limb?

-k

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #16 on: <09-11-23/0959:43> »
This basically leaves just one ynused Capacity for other stuff.

Thus defeating the ENTIRE PURPOSE of modular limbs.  Great job all involved.

Now do the same thing with a synthetic arm:

Synthetic arms have 8 capacity.  A modular synthetic arm spends [2] on a connector and has 6 cap left over for mods.  To attach a modular forearm, you would need to spend [5] for the forearm cap and [2] for the mount, for a total of [7]. 

There isn't enough space in a synthetic arm even for the connectors to make this happen.
« Last Edit: <09-11-23/1009:50> by MercilessMing »

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #17 on: <09-11-23/1432:55> »
Yeah, as I said, making the Mounts and Connectors 1 Capacity each would have mitigated this.

You can still use Bulk Modification, which in 6E is apparently available for Synthetic Limbs as well, and has no effect of the appearance of the limb.