NEWS

Body Shop: Modular Cyberlimbs

• 17 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <07-18-23/1130:10> »
According to the table on pg 48, modular mounts cannot be installed in a cybertorso (they have no capacity cost).  This feels like a mistake.  Is this intentional or is it one for errata?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-18-23/1752:02> »
isnt a cybertorso more like a shell. on top of your actual living torso.
...and that your limbs are still (mostly) attached to your living flesh.

and to install a modular connector in your living flesh to enable you to detach and attach cyberlimbs would therefor cost essence rather than capacity, no?

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <07-20-23/1601:51> »
I also posted this in Errata, but it's probably worth some general discussion:

The Modular Mount has an Essence Cost of 0.4, but is this in addition to the associated cyberlimb Essence Cost, or instead of?

Does an attached modular cyberlimb ALSO need the Modular Connector part?

If I have a full cyberlimb and add in the detachment point at the elbow to be able to swap out just the forearm, do we need one Modular Connector? A Mount and a Connector? Two connectors? Do we use the Partial Cyberlimb capacity for the forearm part? So an Obvious cyberarm with a connector at the elbow would have 10 Capacity in the forearm and 5 in the upper arm, and two Capacity is taken up by the connector? Is the Capacity Cost of the connector taken out of the upper or lower arm? If I have a similar Synthetic cyberarm with an elbow connector, can I plug in an Obvious lower cyberarm?

If I want to plug a Modular Cyberarm onto a Cybertorso, do I also need a Modular Mount (costing Essence) or do I use a Modular Connector?

Can the cybernetic Shells from pg 178 be fitted with modular connectors? When removed, how much Capacity is in each body part?

I get the distinct feeling that the modular section was not meant for multi-part limbs.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <07-21-23/1102:52> »
The Modular Mount has an Essence Cost of 0.4, but is this in addition to the associated cyberlimb Essence Cost, or instead of?
To me this is clearly meant to be in addition to cyberlimb essence cost.

Does an attached modular cyberlimb ALSO need the Modular Connector part?
Clearly, yes.  Connectors go in cyberlimbs, and they connect to mounts.  Detachable parts get the male end (connector) and they plug into a female end (mount).

I get the distinct feeling that the modular section was not meant for multi-part limbs.
Also agreed, if it was meant for multi-part limbs, there would have been some explanation of how that would work.  But there isn't.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-08-23/2053:02> »
More Modular questions!

The Lower Body Replacement cyberware specifically allows for a Modular option, requiring two Modular Mounts on the lower body and two Modular Connectors on the legs or whatever part is equivalent to legs you have.

You can then swap in a pair of regular cyberlegs for days where you don't feel like being a centaur. These legs need a Modular Connector each. Okay, good so far.

So, do these cyberlegs ALSO cost their full Essence? Or is that taken care of by the Lower Body Replacement?

For that matter, if you have regular modular cyberlimbs, do you pay the Essence cost every time you swap to another limb?

Yes, this is hyperbole, but it's a consequence of an augmentation costing Essence even though it's not ever directly attached to your body.
« Last Edit: <08-08-23/2056:11> by KarmaInferno »

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <08-09-23/1127:25> »
The Lower Body Replacement cyberware specifically allows for a Modular option, requiring two Modular Mounts on the lower body and two Modular Connectors on the legs or whatever part is equivalent to legs you have.

You can then swap in a pair of regular cyberlegs for days where you don't feel like being a centaur. These legs need a Modular Connector each. Okay, good so far.

So, do these cyberlegs ALSO cost their full Essence? Or is that taken care of by the Lower Body Replacement?
You have to pay for Lower Body Replacement to get the ability to put on a lower body replacement, even if it's modular.  Since that's 2.5 essence while two regular cyberlegs is 2.0, there's no essence exploit there, and it's nbd for them to have this exception to the regular modular mount rule.
I think where tables need to be aware is regular cyberlegs vs digitigrade legs, sicne digitigrade have a different essence cost, you shouldn't let players swap regular legs and weird ones, unless they pay for digitigrade mounts.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <08-09-23/2146:49> »
Yes we'll have to clear that up.  The intent is that the essence cost goes into the bigger body part (or adds to the limb's preexisting essence cost) and the capacity cost is subtracted from the smaller/lower limb.

Of course, if you have a cyberarm/leg and then have a swappable forearm/lower leg, that partial's capacity should be subtracted from the "upper" limb's.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-10-23/0913:13> »
Ah crap.  Yeah that does need clearing up then.

The intent is that the essence cost goes into the bigger body part (or adds to the limb's preexisting essence cost)
When you say it adds to the limb's cost it sounds like you're making a case for the limb and the mount to be the same grade.  That would suck.

if you have a cyberarm/leg and then have a swappable forearm/lower leg, that partial's capacity should be subtracted from the "upper" limb's.
If this type of pairing is possible... then yeah that needs a lot of clearing up.  If I want to have a non modular cyberarm with a modular forearm, intuitively that mount should cost capacity, not essence.
Really wish connectors had been [1] instead of [2], it really limits what my covert ops guy can do with synthetic modular arms. :)

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <08-14-23/1055:58> »
It's even more problematic when you are trying to code the cyberware for use in a character generator.

The only solution I have been able to workaround is moving ALL the Essence cost to the mount, and having specific mounts for specific limb types. (Like Modular Mount, Shoulder or Modular Mount, Additional Shoulder)

Otherwise any "extra" swappable arms all impose their full Essence cost as well.

Which is how they work anyway. Arm needs Shoulder mount, Forearm needs Elbow Mount, etc. So I really don't know why the Essence cost isn't all in the Mount to begin with, especially since that's the only part that is connected to the biology.
« Last Edit: <08-14-23/1057:52> by KarmaInferno »

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <08-15-23/0905:55> »
How would you code a modular full arm with a modular forearm?  If the mount cost is associated with the modular piece, but the modular piece is a capacity item...  I don't think there's been an item in Shadowrun yet that costs both capacity AND essence.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <08-17-23/1150:42> »
How would you code a modular full arm with a modular forearm?
1. Modular connector between meat shoulder and full arm add essence cost of the full arm
2. Capacity cost for the elbow connector between upper arm and forearm is subtracted from full arm capacity
3. Capacity of forearm is subtracted from full arm capacity

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <08-17-23/1707:51> »
How would you code a modular full arm with a modular forearm?
1. Modular connector between meat shoulder and full arm add essence cost of the full arm
2. Capacity cost for the elbow connector between upper arm and forearm is subtracted from full arm capacity
3. Capacity of forearm is subtracted from full arm capacity

Now I actually think he means:
Pay .4 essence for full arm mount, attached to your torso
Pay 1.4 essence for full arm with forearm mount
Pay capacity for forearm

I don't like this solution because if you have a full arm mount, you should be able to freely swap in any of these combinations:
A - Full arm
B - upper arm + forearm
C - upper arm + forearm + hand

But you can't, because A costs  1 essence, B costs 1.4, C costs 1.8.
Mounts should have a capacity cost.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-17-23/1723:02> »
Mounts should have a capacity cost.
If installed in a cyberlimb (between two cyberlimbs) rather than between flesh and cyberlimb. Yes I agree.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <08-25-23/2209:18> »
How would you code a modular full arm with a modular forearm?  If the mount cost is associated with the modular piece, but the modular piece is a capacity item...  I don't think there's been an item in Shadowrun yet that costs both capacity AND essence.

The way I am having to do it is assume you cannot put a partial limb into a cyberlimb at all. Not ideal, but the rules simply as written don't address modular partial limbs inside cyberlimbs.

I ended up making one Modular Mount type for each cyberlimb location (shoulder, elbow, wrist, hip, knee, ankle) and have it carry the full Essence cost of both limb and mount. Then I made a non-Essence version of each cyberlimb.

-k

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <08-29-23/0917:45> »
Our table hasn't decided yet, but I think where we'll land is that modular connections between two cyber replacements only require a connector, the mount in that configuration is already included in the design.  We feel the 2 capacity cost for a connector is already pretty limiting.

So if you want to purchase a modular full arm + modular forearm + modular hand:

Pay for a full arm mount
Pay for a full arm
Pay for 3 connectors

That gives you a connector at the shoulder, at the elbow, and at the wrist, and a full modular setup.

Subtract 2 wrist connector capacity from a hand to determine how much hand space you have leftover
Subtract 2 elbow connector capacity and the hand capacity to determine how much forearm space you have leftover
Subtract 2 shoulder connector capacity and the forearm capacity to determine how much upper arm space you have leftover

Since forelimbs don't have their own STR/AGI, you have to cram all your STR/AGI mods in the upper arm.

« Last Edit: <08-29-23/0930:37> by MercilessMing »