1 month Low Lifestyle
Electronics Tool Kit

250 cash

Again, I am sorry.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #1 on: <04-08-11/0753:03> »
It's alright if you can't stop yourself, the rules are there to stop you.  8)

Magic/resonance
In order to possess either Magic or Resonance , a character has to first
purchase either the Adept, Magician, Mystic Adept, or Technomancer
qualities (see Quality Descriptions, p. 90). Purchasing Adept, Magician,
or Mystic Adept gives the character a Magic attribute of 1. Purchasing
the Technomancer quality gives the character a Resonance attribute of
1. A character can possess either Magic or Resonance—never both.
« Last Edit: <04-08-11/0754:49> by Kontact »

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <04-08-11/1007:07> »
there is of course the idea of a burn out Pixie with the Latent Technomancer Quality. DS ofc.  8)

petergamer

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <04-08-11/1227:57> »
This rule refers to the purchase of magic or resonance thruogh qualities, and predates the introduction of sapient metacritters from the shadowrun compaion.  The magic rating of my pixie is innate magic, used to run her inborn astral perception and her conceal critter power only.  In my opinion, the spirit of the rule is to prevent characters from being both mages/adepts and technomancers simultaneously.  It not as if she can ever learn spells, conjure spirits, bond foci, or acquire adept powers.  Personally I think the added versatility from having one minor critter power that works on herself only, and the ability to astrally perceive is more than balanced by the 35 bp cost of the race and the 50% markup on gear and lifestyle. 

Peter

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <04-08-11/1239:32> »
by your rule, shapeshifters could have a Resonance, and so could Drakes. Well according to RC they can't. And no, that rule does not predate the introduction of sapient metacritters, as it is written in the anniversary edition, which was introduced after Runners Companion.

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-08-11/1311:22> »
there is of course the idea of a burn out Pixie with the Latent Technomancer Quality. DS ofc.  8)

RAW to the rescue once again!

Quote from: Running Wild, p. 205 - Magic and Resonance
As mentioned in Shadowrun, Fourth Edition, Magic and Resonance are mutually exclusive. A critter cannot have both abilities, and the corollary ability is prohibited once a specific ability has been expressed. This means that a critter which is normally Paranormal cannot become an Emergent critter even if its Magic is reduced to 0. Likewise, an adept who burns out her magic ability cannot become a technomancer.

This not only supports the core SR4A rules, it shows you cannot burn out magic from an inherently magic entity and replace it with resonance by any quality. Magic and resonance are mutually exclusive, period. If you want a pixie hacker, either do it as an adept of the Mental Way or don't buy any magic qualities and just have an organic hacker who can also astrally perceive.

ADDENDUM: If you think pixies need something special to make up for the "minor" benefits they get for 35bp, look again: +2 agi, reac, cha, and will; +1 int and logic; max edge of 7; small target; flight; the ability to astrally perceive without being forced to be a permanently dual-natured entity; and the concealment power which is extremely useful.
« Last Edit: <04-08-11/1317:32> by Ten-Hex »

petergamer

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-08-11/1357:05> »
Shifters, AI, Infected and Drakes all specifically say, in their descriptions that they CANNOT ever acquire resonance.  Sapient critters do not have this explicitly spelled out.  I still beleive that the prohibition against having magic and resonance, (which appears only in the qualities description, by the way) is meant to be applied to the qualities that grant it, unless specifically stated otherwise, as it does in the entires in the SC for drakes, AI, Infected and Shifters.

Where did you find the "small target" advantage?  I don't see it under the pixie description anywhere...

Peter

Makki

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <04-08-11/1435:00> »
Ten-Hex' Running Wild quote closes this topic, as Pixies are ofc critters. The burn out Pixie TM idea is I think older than RW and not mine anyways.

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <04-08-11/1458:18> »
Where did you find the "small target" advantage?  I don't see it under the pixie description anywhere...

Peter

As Makki pointed out, Running Wild and SR4A put the nail in the coffin of your argument that Runner's Companion doesn't specifically state sapient critters cannot gain resonance. Even if they didn't, magic and resonance being mutually exclusive was outlined in the original SR4 as a general rule. Exceptions to general rules are stated, not inferred through omission. If sapient critters could gain resonance in addition to (or by burning out and replacing) their magic attribute, Runner's Companion would have stated it as an exception to the general rule.

Small target - It's part of the optional expanded combat test modifiers in Arsenal, p.161.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #9 on: <04-08-11/1509:51> »
Well, what about technomancer fleshform ;)

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <04-08-11/1558:09> »

Well, considering it's still bound by the rules I've already quoted... unless CGL prints a rulebook that has some sort of entity (whether playable as a PC or not) that explicitly states, "this being has both resonance and magic," then it doesn't work. See above.

In the case of insect spirits and anything else with the inhabitation power, if you need some kind of fluff reason the Resonance gets wiped and the host's spirit is consumed in the process (SM, p.100).

EDIT: The FAQ covers the initial question as well as explicitly covering the inhabitation one:
Quote from: FAQ
Can non-metahuman sapients become technomancers by taking the Latent Technomancer quality and burning out their Magic attribute?

No. A character that had a Magic attribute can never gain Resonance, even if its Magic is reduced to 0 (Magic and Resonance, p.205, Running Wild).

If a spirit used Inhabitation on a technomancer, and the merge was good, resulting in a flesh form, are the technomancer abilities retained?

No. The spirit’s Mental and Special Attributes dominate the hybrid or flesh form, meaning Resonance is lost.
« Last Edit: <04-08-11/1607:51> by Ten-Hex »

petergamer

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <04-08-11/1559:56> »
I don't own Running Wild, and don't plan on buying Running Wild.
That said, I still think the intent of the resonance/magic rule in the qualities section is intended to prevent buying both qualities, and if sapient critters were intended to be excluded from using Resonance, they would have been explicitly prohibited, just like every other metatype option with a magic score. 
This doesn't mean that sapient critters didn't just get overlooked, and were meant to have the same chunk of text that precludes them from being a technomancer, but i honestly don't think it is in any way unbalancing to allow. 
Plus I like it, and so does my judge.  I think it's going to be fun.

Peter

Ten-Hex

• Omae
« Reply #12 on: <04-08-11/1605:36> »
I don't own Running Wild, and don't plan on buying Running Wild.
That said, I still think the intent of the resonance/magic rule in the qualities section is intended to prevent buying both qualities, and if sapient critters were intended to be excluded from using Resonance, they would have been explicitly prohibited, just like every other metatype option with a magic score. 
This doesn't mean that sapient critters didn't just get overlooked, and were meant to have the same chunk of text that precludes them from being a technomancer, but i honestly don't think it is in any way unbalancing to allow. 
Plus I like it, and so does my judge.  I think it's going to be fun.

Peter

More power to you, man... we're just stating what the game rules are. By all means house rule it up and have a good time. I'm all for seeing unique character concepts. :)

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #13 on: <04-08-11/1621:24> »

Well, considering it's still bound by the rules I've already quoted... unless CGL prints a rulebook that has some sort of entity (whether playable as a PC or not) that explicitly states, "this being has both resonance and magic," then it doesn't work. See above.

In the case of insect spirits and anything else with the inhabitation power, if you need some kind of fluff reason the Resonance gets wiped and the host's spirit is consumed in the process (SM, p.100).

EDIT: The FAQ covers the initial question as well as explicitly covering the inhabitation one:
Quote from: FAQ
Can non-metahuman sapients become technomancers by taking the Latent Technomancer quality and burning out their Magic attribute?

No. A character that had a Magic attribute can never gain Resonance, even if its Magic is reduced to 0 (Magic and Resonance, p.205, Running Wild).

If a spirit used Inhabitation on a technomancer, and the merge was good, resulting in a flesh form, are the technomancer abilities retained?

No. The spirit’s Mental and Special Attributes dominate the hybrid or flesh form, meaning Resonance is lost.

Well, I wander if badasses know the rules :) I think not, so they will try. And maybe, one day...
"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous." A. E.

Seamus Harper

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <04-14-11/1802:44> »
The rules explicitly state in many places that this is not possible, even if it might be fun.  House rules are part of gaming though so if your GM allows it and you want to do it more power and all that.