NEWS

President Kyle Haeffner

• 25 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <03-31-11/2241:23> »
But if Colloton is an ideological NR member, and maybe even with Alamos 20k ties, why hasn't she used her two terms to even try to impose some of her ideological leanings on the country?
Congress and the Senate?

And whose to say she hasn't?  Overt isn't a good idea for an elected official put under a microscope like the president.  On the flip side, some quiet calls to the right people...
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-31-11/2356:51> »
After ... and ... as a freelancer the next most common thing that has kept me up at nights when I can't stop thinking about SR has been the Colloton Administration.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #17 on: <04-01-11/0029:02> »
After ... and ... as a freelancer the next most common thing that has kept me up at nights when I can't stop thinking about SR has been the Colloton Administration.
What's the most common thing? ;)

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <04-01-11/0035:48> »
But if Colloton is an ideological NR member, and maybe even with Alamos 20k ties, why hasn't she used her two terms to even try to impose some of her ideological leanings on the country?
Congress and the Senate?

And whose to say she hasn't?  Overt isn't a good idea for an elected official put under a microscope like the president.  On the flip side, some quiet calls to the right people...

Damian Knight has gotten even more cozy with the UCAS than before IIRC. Also Brackhaven winning may not have been all bad, better than a Seattle seperatist to the NR's eyes. At least for a couple more years so the SSC can fracture a bit more, then they can take back some NAN lands as part of the pacification.

Loki

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-01-11/0044:51> »
But more on topic the why of Haeffner's murder, IMO it was to help squelch anyone credible who could say it wasn't Alamos and to keep the spotlight squarely on Colloton.  With the Pres and VP dead, who will the people turn to, why the heroic general who just saved the country of course.

It makes me wonder if the squelched coup wasn't sold to it's participants as the real deal. A sacrifice of some unwitting pawns to sell the "failure" of the conspiracy to those who knew of it and propel it further twords it's goals at the same time.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-01-11/0148:30> »
Can't say yet. Not until GenCon.

;)

As for this topic, since it's all over the web, Shadowland, and every other g-d place where SR has come up, I've said what Loki is saying for the last five years.

In the following threads, I am "SL James." I think I found all of the threads in which I pontificated about Colloton, NR, etc. If you have any questions for me, by all means ask. However, that doesn't mean I can actually give you answers now. I will do my best.

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=26&t=9752

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=26&t=11006

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=26&t=11941

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=26&t=13239

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?act=Print&client=printer&f=26&t=15583

Damian Knight has gotten even more cozy with the UCAS than before IIRC.
He and Colloton didn't get along at first (Shocking, I know. A general presumed to have principles and a war profiteer not getting along), but he's managed to work around that. After all, she's only the President, and only the symbolic head of the UCAS GOP.
« Last Edit: <04-01-11/0331:19> by Crimsondude »

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <04-01-11/0426:38> »
Why unmask yourself so soon? Play it out, gain a powerbase, stack the odds in your favor, then strike when things are just right.

Timing is everything. To respark the nationalistic fervor need to win popular support they do still need a disaster, one that will fit their narrative better than the crash did.

Nope, sorry, not convinced. When is there is a better time to push for one's ideological points than when you are President? You could try to build a power base for your successor, but you don't know if your successor will be NR, too, so that doesn't work. If Colloton is really NR she got an one-chance-in-a-lifetime kind of opportunity and apparently didn't use it.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <04-01-11/0748:01> »

;)
Somehow, I knew you were going to say that (or something like that). :P

DesVoeux

• Newb
  • Accipe Hoc
« Reply #23 on: <04-01-11/1603:36> »
Part of the problem with decoding just what happened on November 3, 2064 is that the sources are comically limited and contradictory.

For instance, in System Failure Major General Colloton states that President Pro-Tempore Gene Simone is acting as president until they find Vice President Daviar. Daviar is MIA, never to be seen again. Simone is presumably the president pro tempore of the UCAS Senate... no word on what happened to the Speaker of the House. It's never stated just who decided to make a two-star General the de facto head of the UCAS armed forces.

In Sixth World Almanac, Daviar is said to have survived an assassination attempt, been made "acting president", and announced marshal law. Presumably, Daviar is the one who places Brigadier General Colloton in charge before inexplicably disappearing at some point.

Finally, SR4A states that Daviar was made "President pro tem" and was the one that put (four star?) General Colloton in charge of the response. It doesn't mention Daviar disappearing, therefore implying she finished her/Haeffner's term.

In two out of three cases, someone clearly hands power to Colloton... she doesn't seize it, and she get's (as far as we know) honestly elected President four years later in 2068. As an aside, the SR4A history section is seemingly written by FastJack (as smart a runner as any) and clearly states Collton's election was the result of "learning from our mistakes". (i.e. a good thing.)

Off-topic note: three developers later and Shadowrun's canon hasn't gotten less maddeningly contradictory since Second Edition.
« Last Edit: <04-01-11/1605:25> by DesVoeux »
"No one starts a war; or rather, no one in his senses ought to do so; without first being clear in his mind what he intends to achieve by that war and how he intends to conduct it." - Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #24 on: <04-01-11/1626:22> »

;)

Spies and Games?  ;)

I kinda sleepwalked (sleptwalked?) throught the whole Brainscan/System Failure thing. I have the books for some reason I just can't absorb any of the info in them. Will have to try again.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <04-01-11/1837:19> »
She was a MG as of SOTA 64.

We had this discussion earlier, and the good thing about the freelancer pool now is that Mike Wich and I actually know how government works since we have worked for politicians. So, yay us.