NEWS

What happened to Dunkelzahn?

• 188 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #120 on: <04-13-11/2013:59> »
*Pouts*  One of my regrets in life is that I'll never get a chance to meet him.   :'(
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #121 on: <04-29-11/2014:06> »
*Pouts*  One of my regrets in life is that I'll never get a chance to meet him.   :'(
Is he dead? Are you dead? Didn't think so on the second one. If you work towards it happening it can.  ;D
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #122 on: <04-29-11/2040:22> »
Is he dead? Are you dead? Didn't think so on the second one. If you work towards it happening it can.  ;D
Is he dead?  Not yet.

But the likelihood of me being able to get to England any time before he stops being Not-Dead are infinitesimally small.  Smaller still is the chance of doing it while he's still doing public appearances.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #123 on: <04-30-11/0924:11> »
Is he dead?  Not yet.

But the likelihood of me being able to get to England any time before he stops being Not-Dead are infinitesimally small.  Smaller still is the chance of doing it while he's still doing public appearances.
It was a very nice event. Sydney Opera House, him and his hat. Was great hearing him talk, and getting a few spoilers on the next book...
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #124 on: <05-06-11/0419:59> »
Sorry to interrupt the derailment, just wanted to follow a different tangent: I'm interested in reading Ghostwalker's negotiations to secure Denver. Can someone kindly point me to the book(s) where that takes place? I inherited a lot of older SR3 books from a friend, so I may actually have it.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #125 on: <05-06-11/1512:39> »
Sorry to interrupt the derailment, just wanted to follow a different tangent: I'm interested in reading Ghostwalker's negotiations to secure Denver. Can someone kindly point me to the book(s) where that takes place? I inherited a lot of older SR3 books from a friend, so I may actually have it.
Year of the Comet, pp. 59-75. You may get some additional info from Shadows of North America, pp. 72-76.

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #126 on: <05-07-11/0401:11> »
Great, I do have both books. Thanks!

thunder chicken

• Newb
« Reply #127 on: <08-13-11/1437:20> »
Does anyone know where I can find a listing of all of the bequests from Dunkelzahn's will that have been fulfilled?

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #128 on: <08-13-11/1500:16> »
I think the Ancient Files had one, but i am not sure . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

thunder chicken

• Newb
« Reply #129 on: <08-13-11/1509:25> »
From what I can tell Ancient Files isnt around anymore  :(

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #130 on: <08-13-11/1555:14> »
nope, they are not. he took them down.
try the waybackmachine for example.
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #131 on: <08-13-11/1647:36> »
*Pours a 40 for the old website*

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

StarManta

• Omae
« Reply #132 on: <08-15-11/1358:29> »
Ok, so now that the why Dunkelzahn died is out of the way. Why go through all the trouble to become President in the first place? Was that a last minute decision or had he put things in motion by selecting who'd succeed him?

The theory of the title of President adding to his power is an interesting one. I think, though, the reason he did it was to ensure that metahumans could be given SINs - UCAS had to allow non-humans to get SINs so he could become President.

It's certainly not a coincidence, though, given the timing - he had specific reason to be President before he "died".

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #133 on: <08-15-11/1439:50> »
The presidency's fun to think about, but the stuff that will REALLY blow your mind is when you consider how he set up Crash 2.0 and the Wireless Matrix.

Don't think so? Consider this line of thought:

The Big "D" bequeaths all those Renraku shares to Miles Lanier. Miles & Richard Villiers then use that to set up a "falling out", so that Miles is considered trustworthy by Renraku. In the process of this long con, Miles and Richard are able to gut both Renraku and Fuchi, setting up Novatech to be the newest AAA corp on the market. But the process of creating the corp leaves Villiers strapped financially, so he has to go "public" with shares in Novatech, creating the biggest online transaction/presence/event EVER. This becomes a target of AIs, Terrorists and everyone else. After the Crash, technomancers are born and AI's become more prevalent.

Ipso Facto, Dunkelzahn created Technomancy.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #134 on: <08-15-11/1510:26> »
The presidency's fun to think about, but the stuff that will REALLY blow your mind is when you consider how he set up Crash 2.0 and the Wireless Matrix.

Don't think so? Consider this line of thought:

The Big "D" bequeaths all those Renraku shares to Miles Lanier. Miles & Richard Villiers then use that to set up a "falling out", so that Miles is considered trustworthy by Renraku. In the process of this long con, Miles and Richard are able to gut both Renraku and Fuchi, setting up Novatech to be the newest AAA corp on the market. But the process of creating the corp leaves Villiers strapped financially, so he has to go "public" with shares in Novatech, creating the biggest online transaction/presence/event EVER. This becomes a target of AIs, Terrorists and everyone else. After the Crash, technomancers are born and AI's become more prevalent.

Ipso Facto, Dunkelzahn created Technomancy.
You're forgetting a few steps.

Dunkelzahn also bequeathed 34 billions UCAS dollars to Art Dankwalther, probably knowing he would use al that money to seek revenge against Richard Villiers (though when so much psychology is involved, I'd consider the use of Divination is much more likely than straight fore-planning). 34 billions may not be enough to set up a competitor, but quite enough to fund clandestine operations against Novatech.

Also, and it is much, much more important, Richard Villiers and Miles Lanier plan involved Fuchi Industrial Electronics lodging a complaint against Renraku Computer Systems, officially suspecting Miles Lanier was using his knowledge of Fuchi security procedures to conduct corporate espionage. The complaint leads to Corporate Court investigations on both Fuchi and Renraku. To avoid his work being discovered by the court, Brightlight (aka Leonardo) left Renraku in a hurry, erasing all his works from Renraku systems since he joined in May 2057. This left Renraku without probably the only person able to fully understand the modifications he advised on the Seattle arcology expert system. Had Brightlight stayed around, maybe he could have stopped Deus early on.

For additional blowing, add Brightlight himself displayed otaku/technomancer-like abilities according to Black Madonna.
« Last Edit: <08-15-11/1512:53> by Nath »