NEWS

Adventures in Metaphor

• 2 Replies

Fortinbras

• Chummer
« on: <03-17-11/1155:36> »
I'm going to have my players run an adventure in the Resonance Realm. I'm planning on having the non-Matrix character's attributes appear as metaphor, much like characters in the metaplanes during Harlequin's Back. An AI or one of the many Matrix characters they've met during Emergence would provide programs comparable to their skill that translate oddly through the Event Horizon, or something like that.

Does anyone have any experience with running either this or with a metaplane adventure run with non-magical characters they can share or examples of metaphor you enjoy in game?
My current metaphor idea is a steampunk-Wonderful Wizard of Oz, with the mages in the group appearing as tin men, whose spells(Not actual spells. Comparable programs.) seem mechanical and against the natural order and with cyberware appearing as magical amulets and the like. Such as Wired Reflexes looking like Mercury's wings on a helmet.

Thoughts, ideas and personal experience are appreciated.
O, proud Death, What feast is toward thine eternal cell, That thou so many princes at a shot So bloodily hast struck?
Fortinbras- Hamlet. Act V, Sceen II

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #1 on: <03-17-11/1241:02> »
Bonus points if you manage to work Mirage (Wizard of Oz), Megaera (Good Witch Glenda) and Deus (Wicked Witch of the East) into the story. ;)

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #2 on: <03-18-11/1956:21> »
Sounds interesting.

I don't know how much this will help, but the hacker in my group uses a steampunk metaphor for all his stuff.  His programs are represented by various mechanical devices such as Tesla coil cannons (Attack), goggles with various drop down lenses (Analyze), clockwork skeleton keys (Exploit), pieces of boilerplate (Armor), a multi-aperture spyglass (Scan), and so on.  His agents are things like a floating head with enormous goggles for eyes wearing a tophat (data searches, info mining, etc) or a clockwork octopus with steam powered Gatling guns tipping its tentacles (cybercombat aide).