NEWS

New guy seeking mentorship

• 11 Replies

Jinx The Madness

• Newb
« on: <06-04-20/2054:29> »
Hoi chummers, I've been itching to get into Shadowrun for a while now, and since there is really no one around that plays, I've decided to run a game. I've recruiting my local friends and coworkers to play, but the same thing that attracts me to the game--the depth of customization, the extensively developed world, the freedom--also makes this very nerve-wracking for someone who hasn't even played before. My home state is kind of a Shadowrun tabula rasa, so I've made that my setting (yeah, I probably should try to run a pre-designed campaign since I've never run this game before, but I like to world build). I've been fleshing out the characters and everything for months, and I'm about ready to get the game going from a story and flavor point of view, but I feel like the actual mechanics are daunting and confusing. The only other tabletop RPGs I've played and GM'd prior to this are DND 4e and 5e.

I've been amassing resources and tools and the core rulebooks for SR5. I've been watching Corporate SINs on YouTube, but I still feel like I need someone to give me some basics of the various mechanics like the astral plane and mentor spirits and the matrix and all of that. Anyone willing to help this newbie out? Or maybe help walk me through a basic run or something?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <06-04-20/2119:31> »
I'm sure lots of people would be happy to answer any questions you have.

But if you're worried about not knowing what to even ask about... I'd recommend joining the SRM online discord server.  Even if you don't play yourself, watching a game in action could be invaluable experience.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <06-05-20/0105:55> »
Since you like YouTube, might i suggest Critical Gitch?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKo7Y8q3ZVpGSyl5X-Hr7Kw

Bobby breaks down the various rules into short videos to make it easy to follow. It's a good resource for a starting GM and player. AND, Bobby is on the forums from time to time as well.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <06-05-20/0206:37> »
I was also going to recommend Critical Glitch as well. Plus, he's humorous.

But the forums are here for questions and to bounce ideas off of. You're in the right place.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <06-05-20/0351:43> »
To be honest, the first tip I can give you, is to cut out complexity. Have a non-matrix team get a Decker NPC that they can communicate to and can disable parts of security: Think 'force a camera to show fake footage', 'suppress 1 person sounding the alarm', 'open a single door', and only 2 of those at the same time, that kind of thing.

Mentor Spirits are simply 'gives benefits, but comes with downsides that players may fail resisting and shouldn't resist too often to begin with, else they fall out of grace with their Mentor Spirit'.

Astral Plane is a good way to scout, but you can only see living things and magical effects properly there, all else is gray. And there's also Watcher Spirits that will occasionally scout and may spot your group, so an Astral Scout can be a good way to warn everyone to hide, because an opposing Astral Scout is coming. Wards are a good way to secure a small area against astral scouting.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Jinx The Madness

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <06-05-20/1341:28> »
Thanks for the advice, omae. I'll check out that YouTube series.

I have heard other people say to cut out the Matrix stuff as well. I'd rather not, but if it's too complicated, and I can't handle it, I suppose it's an option. :(

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <06-05-20/1352:32> »
If you grab quick summaries of the most relevant Matrix actions and use an NPC Decker, you can still communicate what the options are to players, without both players and you having to learn the detailed mechanics from the start. That way you can still slowly learn things. It also means less playtime spent there, which can be nice.

Jinx The Madness

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <06-08-20/2030:54> »
Which method would you suggest for new players building a character? I really like all of the different ways to build the characters, I think they're all unique and interesting. I'm going to try building a fake team using each method because my druthers would be to leave it open to using whatever they want, so I want to make sure I can answer all of their questions. Would anyone be willing to look my fake team over when I'm done and make sure I am doing everything correctly? That would be wiz. 

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <06-09-20/0217:48> »
Priority is relatively simple, Lifestyle Modules can be annoying mathwise but adds really nice flavour to the characters, karmagen would be a choice paralysis nightmare. And sure, there's plenty of people willing to give chargen feedback.

Jinx The Madness

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <06-09-20/2026:34> »
So, the first thing I'm trying to do is do a Lifestyle module character. This is the method I'd probably use if I were making a character. I think it's pretty cool. I'm making a magician right now, but I've already run into questions:

1.) When I take higher education, do I take both an Arts discipline AND a Science discipline? The way it's laid out in the book in RF pg. 75, it looks like I would take one of each based on the fact that all the other sections with those headers have you select a thing under each header, but it doesn't necessarily make sense to have both, so it seems like it could be an unnecessary formatting choice they made to needlessly separate two disciplines that don't have a real in-game impact (or do they?).
2.) Does buying additional Magic work the same as any other attribute going by the chart on SR5 pg. 107?
3.) Do I buy every spell at 5 karma a pop in Point Buy/Lifestyle module generation? I assume so, but when you use the Priority chart, it just gives you "x" amount of spells, so I want to make sure.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <06-10-20/0249:00> »
You pick 1 of the disciplines, not one of each. It's probably because it's the kind of distinction people make in real life.

Magic's just an attribute, yes, normal costs.

Yeah, unless stated otherwise no freebies outside Priority.

Jinx The Madness

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <06-11-20/1010:34> »
Thanks for answering my questions. You're awesome.