NEWS

Recruiting: In the Absence of Light, Darkness Prevails

• 81 Replies

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #15 on: <03-14-11/2356:59> »
There will be 'ways' to kill things normally immune to normal weapons, but it's harder than using magic (or adept powers).

I've been wanting to play a hacker or rigger type of character.  Aside from the proper application of high explosives what other ways do mundains have in this campaign of killing spirits?

The most effective way for a samurai to kill a spirit is as follows.

Take a full-auto capable weapon.
Load it with stick-n-shock and put it on full-auto.
Take a simple action to fire a wide full burst and couple it with a free action to call a shot for +4 damage.
The base damage of this shot will be 10S(e) + hits with -half AP (enough to bust through a force 10 spirit's ItNW) and the spirit would be forced to defend with -5 dice.

For a rigger, take a High Velocity weapon, like the Ingram Supermach 100, and load it with SnS again.  Fire wide bursts with high dicepools.  With -11 dice to dodge, a solid remote gunner should be able to score at least enough net hits to put pain into a big old ghost.  The rigger's job is to bleed out the spook's edge and to keep it on defense.  Alternately, take an Ingram White Knight and mod it for HV fire.  That way you can use ammo belts.  12 rounds per pass can burn 60 rounds in a single combat turn.

Really, the dodge is what makes big spirits such a pain in the ass.  Big and spooky force 10 ghost gets 10 dice to dodge with on passive, and 16-20 dice to dodge on active (depending on where you cap skills).  It's even worse with H2H.  then it's 16-20 passive and 22-30 dice for active dodge.  Not to mention 10 freaking edge.  TEN.

Alternately, there's the new, (poorly thought out,) WAR! rules for grenade damage overlap.  Full-auto and BF grenades can kill anything.  They've made conventional and demo charges obsolete.  Fire a 10 round burst of Flash-bangs and you'll be doing 33S -3AP to everything in 10m of where they land.  So, you can miss, horribly, and still disrupt the big bad boogity in a single pass.  Make sure your friends aren't nearby though..  The old street-trash stunball is a killer.
« Last Edit: <03-15-11/0023:49> by Kontact »

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #16 on: <03-15-11/0353:31> »
And to continue on the mundane path... if a mundane takes Astral Sight, and then buys some 'ware, dropping essence so also dropping his magic to 0, is the sight gone?

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #17 on: <03-15-11/0405:40> »
By RAW yes, but that makes things like knack or wild/latent technomancer horrible and completely unplayable.

Not that having astral sight is much of an advantage.  If you can see them, then they can kill you.  If they have to manifest first, that at least takes up one of their IPs.

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #18 on: <03-15-11/0409:31> »
Even with out it I seem to remember a drug somewhere that allowed astral sight.

Great idea for on the stick and shock BTW

mwiland

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <03-15-11/1618:39> »
i just cooked up a Dronomancer, thats a technomancer that specializes in using drones.

http://forums.shadowrun4.com/index.php?topic=3166.0

Codac

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <03-15-11/2356:24> »
I shall through my hat into the ring. Shall hunting magical beasties be a large part?

I will probably rewrite an ex-military Sniper/Fire Support character of mine cause he's a favorite and needs a game. Also theres some stuff in the new books that fits him well.
"You Metahumans and your emotions are quite inefficient." ~Codac

"I am the Matrix." ~Codac

mdp

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <03-16-11/0345:41> »
As stated before, I'm working on a concept for a character, apparently there is great intrest in this run so Just wanted to check with boer_kommando how many players will be accepted. 
My character will likely be a physical adept
« Last Edit: <03-16-11/0722:05> by mdp »

Boer_Kommando

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <03-16-11/1153:06> »
I'm looking at 4 to 6 players to round it out.

Magical Beasts will indeed be part of this, as well a rogue spirits, evil (toxic) mages (shamans), and a host of other 'baddies'.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-16-11/1546:27> »
I've worked a bit on the character concept, making it a bit larger:
Aisha is a muslim girl, growing up in Egypt.  At the age of 17 she get's a vision of a man she recognised as Ra, the old Egyptian sun god (mentor spirit).  As she is a mage and a girl mage is not wanted in a muslim country, she runs of with a mercenary company.  An older mage takes her under his wing and while serving in Yucatan and Lagos they become closer, eventually becoming lovers.  He gets killed in 2063 during the 'bug run' (joining Ares' forces to liberate Calumet port).  There she was attacked by a number of bugs (spirit bane for insect spirits) and only barely survived.  Her lover wasn't so lucky and was killed.  She did stay with the mercenaries until their second tour in the Nigerian kingdoms, when almost the entire battallion is killed (except Aisha and her scout group).  As ranking officer she disbands the group and goes into the shadows.

She knows a couple of combat spells, healing and purification spells and a couple of manipulation spells.  She knows a lot of languages and also a lot about insect spirits and paracritters.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #24 on: <03-16-11/1632:32> »
Concept: Bent cop turned P.I. turned 'runner. Human Adept. Good perception and assessing thanks to enhanced perception power and possibly also the feat. High logic and intuition for widespread knowledge too. Plenty of different SINs of various ratings to get into places and a load of contacts. Basic social skills w/ some intimidation; shadowing's a given.
Problem is: this leaves little left for actually dealing with the 'baddies' he finds. A shotgun would match his "style", but the full-auto which might put a dent in spirits can hardly be considered concealable. Heavy pistol would definitely match, but without 'ware or combat-enhancing agility-boosted powers might not do enough damage.
So Boer, if this is going to be a problem, lemme know, I'll adjust some things.

Char bio... Think something in "film noir detective" style, always raining (it is Seattle, so there's that), always with a cigarette, always with a bottle of booze somewhere.
If bored quickly or something, just skip to the last section beginning with "The rest of the story..." since that's the part that probably matters.

Franklin Westwood Jr. -who will from now on be referred to as 'he', 'him' or Frank- woke up early in the morning, his back sore from the decades old mattress he's slept on for as long as he could remember, coughing up phlegm, colored yellowish brown by 50 years of smoking.
The cough was bad, rapidly getting worse too. But on the bright side, it came as regular as clockwork. 5:47 in the morning, saved him from having to program an alarm clock.
He stretched his arm -it made a cracking sound, same as every other joint in his body after more than an hour of rest- and reached out for the mug of soycaf still standing there from last night. He tasted. It hadn't tasted good when it was fresh, the night hadn't exactly improved it. At least the synthetic whiskey he'd poured in it made up for something. A big swag emptying the mug delivered just the right kick to get out of bed.
He was 67 years old now, and remembered the last 34 of them as if they happened yesterday. In fact, even better if compared to the way other people usually remembered things. His eidetic memory had been both a curse and a blessing. He remembered everything all right, including a lot of shit most people luckily succeeded at forgetting.

After an easy and uneventful 18 years at school, Frank continued the family tradition by joining 'The Force', Seattle Police Department. He had the brains and the grades to become anything he could dream of, but 3 of his grandparents had worked for the SPD, as did both of his parents. Protect and serve was spoon-fed to him. The fact that 4 of those 5 ancestors had been killed carrying out that motto, only served as extra incentive instead of deterrent. That motivation didn't last, but it's mentioned just the same.
Little over a year later, the SPD went on strike, got the boot and Lone Star took over. Frank aced the SPD-to-Lone Star transfer exam and continued his work as an promising Lone Star officer. His superiors quickly noticed his talent for detective work and set him on a series of courses that got him promoted to Detective, next year he got married (to another Lone Star agent of course), another year later he made Sergeant.
And then he had what was called 'a latent awakening'. It could've been a blessing for his career; it started his eidetic memory, enhanced his perception, made his mind work faster, what more could a detective want; but it wasn't.
To be completely honest, things had probably started going downhill a lot earlier, when Lone Star took over SPD and added changed the motto to 'Protect and Serve... the Margins and Profit', like any other listed company. Over the years, his idealism had faded and replace the rose-colored-glasses idealism with a more cynical view on modern society. When the uses of his powers became clear, he got put on the rare and difficult cases in which magic and other weird stuff was involved. He asked for a better pay after learning what the other awakened earned -even in Lone Star- but that was refused: “You’ve signed this job contract, your pay is detailed in it, get used to it.”. This brought his already dwindling motivation over the tipping point.

The rest of the story is the story shared by thousands of underpaid cops and security personnel everywhere. Started drinking, made mistakes, got demoted, couldn’t pay mortgage bills, started drinking more, lost his marriage, lost his house, started drinking more, could barely afford rent, started gambling, started collecting debts. And that’s the moment when working for law enforcement starts paying off.
Without money to pay debts, they are settled in other ways. Starting with just looking the other way, getting rid of some tickets, pulling up files. Then pulling some favors and doing more favors. By the time you realize in which way all that’s headed, you’re looking at that way in the rear-view and going too fast to turn around. He got as bent as a cop could get without being dishonorably discharged and sued.
So he quit before things started really getting out of hand (Well, they already were out of hand, but he hadn’t been caught, which was something.) and started working for himself as a private investigator. With the connections he’d gained through the years, he wasn’t expecting he’d be hired to stalk cheating spouses or find kidnapped kids. It was the same line of work he’d been doing in the past, only now he wasn’t doing it as a law enforcement officer, which had just as much drawbacks as benefits. He even got himself cleaned up a bit; it was one thing dealing with criminals while having a Lone Star badge to hide behind; without the badge, he needed to protect himself and got himself back in shape... somewhat.
From there on, there’s really no such thing as a ‘moment’ at which this job turned into ‘running. Sure, the shady characters get more shady, the sums of money get slightly better every time, but if there’s a line somewhere between being a P.I. hired by shady individuals and being a shadowrunner, he missed it.
And Frank doesn’t miss a lot of things.

I was hoping to get Bi-Polar in somehow, seems like a very cool thing to roleplay, one day seeing the good side in everything, the other day complaining about everything, another just not giving a damn anymore... if only the -2's had been on physical stats instead of mental stats. Though then that might be too painful.
« Last Edit: <03-16-11/2055:32> by Xzylvador »

mdp

• Chummer
« Reply #25 on: <03-17-11/0729:49> »
Here is the concept for Pyro

An ork gang member sorceror, spent his life in the ork underground
He has a great affection with fire.
As he is only 18 he's a bit naive towards the world.

more to come

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #26 on: <03-17-11/1015:10> »
My tip to you all: white phosphorous, or incendiary rounds. That's elemental (fire) damage, so it should work as well as SnS.
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

deathwishjoe

• Chummer
« Reply #27 on: <03-18-11/0015:27> »
So I'm going to officially throw my hat in the ring. 

I've got an aging wunderkid who before the crash 2.0 was a star on the popular reality game show "My corps kids are smarter then yours!".  Quite brilliant for his young age he spoke several languages and started going to college while he was still 16. 

During the Crash 2.0 his parents died in a plane crash. and the corperation sponsering his education went bankrupt shortly thereafter.  Unlike many others he was lucky and was able to get his families life insurance to help continue his education for a few more years.  He switched majors alot during his college years finding that they just didn't challange him.  During his college years he joined a rigger racing club at the school and began to party a bit.  The danger of driving 3cm from a 1000m cliff face at 100km hour speeds had him hooked.  The group also liked to party afterwards. Drugs, fast cars, women and no parents tend to make for a bad combination. 

Soon, during his third year, the money for his school had been entirely spent on these extra-curricular activities.  But having seen some of his driving he was offered a job by his local dealer running drugs for the local cartels between neighborhoods so his dealer freind could get the drugs from rougher areas to the posh college neighborhood he was in.  This went on fine for several years until the introduction of the new drug tempo.  The introduction of this new drug created alot of strain on the already dangerous drug market.  Several of the people he worked for left the business for good or left this world for good during the many turf wars that errupted. 

Well at this point he had developed a few underworld contacts and had a nice collection of equipment and skills that would be useful in the shadows so he put the word around and changed his work. 

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #28 on: <03-18-11/0928:53> »
OK. Ive read the rules for free spirit. It is deffinitely interesting but it would take some time. So I decided to take the Astral comabatant for now and work ond that free concept for the future. Maybe one day.... My character and 20FAQ will follow I hope today...

Boer_Kommando

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <03-19-11/0059:18> »
mdp: a pyro in the Ork Underground? I'm sure they'd take a really dim view of your 'hobby'.

Deathwish: What distinquishes you from any other rigger?  I need more meat for the stew.

Xzy: Your PC is going to be old? No problem with it.....just wondering if you're going to take physical flaws to show it.