NEWS

[SR6] Three tiny questions... (matrix damage/device, program slots, movement)

• 40 Replies

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-14-20/1020:36> »
Anything that is linked to an attribute is action that requires that attribute to be used. All nonlinked actions do not. Yes that means anyone can attempt the outsider actions ... especially riggers using an RCC.

Ouh, wasnīt aware of that. Really like that! Itīs cool to see the cracking skill having a bit of a use even without a Cyberdeck.
Spoof command without a Deck is a pretty big deal, though! Does it at least use Matrix Attack and Defense ratings then?
Or is that only for data spikes, Tarpits and the 2 hacking options?

Side note: I think that riggers should have some option to perform traces as well. Currently, a trace needs admin access, so itīs not really an option for riggers. But maybe they are able to "triangulate" a target if its in the reach of their slaved drones, without the need for admin access. Would be cool if both Matrix Archetypes had this option, but with different methods to get the job done.

Yes you still have AR and DR to figure in for Edge gain ... so yes even taking those outsider actions without a deck is not optimal but absolutely possible

Riggers are planned to get much more love in their own book ... including ways of gaining access and other uses of Attack and  Sleaze. For the CRB we focused on making sure they could defend themselves at least.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-14-20/1029:46> »
Side note: I think that riggers should have some option to perform traces as well. Currently, a trace needs admin access, so itīs not really an option for riggers. But maybe they are able to "triangulate" a target if its in the reach of their slaved drones, without the need for admin access. Would be cool if both Matrix Archetypes had this option, but with different methods to get the job done.

It was less tricky in 5e, but I see a role for triangulating the source of a matrix (radio) signal as a function of Electronics Warfare. It's as true on the face of things as "firing a gun should be covered by the firearms skill".  The Trace Icon matrix action follows the "pseudo IP path" through whatever misdirection is represented by your Sleaze attribute, rather than simply identifying the radio broadcast frequencies and using trigonometry to pinpoint its origin. Of course, now in 6we it's a specialization of a skill Riggers are unlikely to take :(

It's absolutely not spelled out, but in my view a rigger (or a drone using the Electronic Warfare autosoft) in "sufficient proximity" to the matrix signal source can use Matrix Perception to pinpoint the signal, then use Cracking (Electronics Warfare) to replicate the effect of a Trace Icon matrix action.  No access necessary/doable as an Outsider.  The hitches would be that 1) the rigger (or his drone) has to already physically be "in the vicinity" of the source, 2) "in the vicinity" is completely up to GM fiat, and 3) the Matrix Perception threshold to identify the signal is up to GM fiat and finally 4) the Cracking (Electronics Warfare) threshold to pinpoint the origin is also completely up to GM fiat.
« Last Edit: <04-14-20/1035:58> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-14-20/1037:37> »

It was less tricky in 5e, but I see a role for triangulating the source of a matrix (radio) signal as a function of Electronics Warfare.  It's as true on the face of things as "firing a gun should be covered by the firearms skill".  The Trace Icon matrix action follows the "pseudo IP path" through whatever misdirection is represented by your Sleaze attribute, rather than simply identifying the radio broadcast frequencies and using trigonometry to pinpoint its origin.

It's absolutely not spelled out, but in my view a rigger (or a drone using the Electronic Warfare autosoft) in "sufficient proximity" to the matrix signal source can use Matrix Perception to pinpoint the signal, then use Cracking (Electronics Warfare) to replicate the effect of a Trace Icon matrix action.  No access neecessary/doable as an Outsider.  The hitches would be that 1) the rigger (or his drone) has to already physically be "in the vicinity" of the source, 2) "in the vicinity" is completely up to GM fiat, and 3) the Matrix Perception threshold to identify the signal is up to GM fiat and finally 4) the threshold to pinpoint the origin is also completely up to GM discretion

Thatīs about the same way I handle it right now. Basically, the Hacker "convinces" the device to tell him where it is, while the rigger uses classic EWar signal triangulation. Itīs easy to kitbash a little houserule for this, but it would be cool if there was something more official.

Riggers are planned to get much more love in their own book ... including ways of gaining access and other uses of Attack and  Sleaze. For the CRB we focused on making sure they could defend themselves at least.

Well, strictly RAW, you could form a Rigger/Decker "hybrid PAN" with an RCC and a Cyberdeck - but I remember that you stated somewhere else that this is not intended?

TBH: Intended or not: I think it actually does work out quite well, with a few assumptions added:
  • You have to choose which Program Slots apply.
  • Since the D/F Attributes of RCCs are fixed, they also canīt be swapped with the A/S Attributes of a Cyberdeck, so the "Hybrid PAN" has only a narrow scope for Attribute Adjustments.

Sounds a like valid setup, and not just for Rigger/Hacker hybrids. Due to the rigid Attribute Array and the missing Cyberjack Bonus, itīs worse for "pure" hacking than the Deck+Jack setup. However, some players like to merge these two roles, and even a "pure" Rigger can profit from introducing a deck to the network, because the Sleaze Attribute helps to hide the drones from Matrix detection and traces.
« Last Edit: <04-14-20/1153:42> by Finstersang »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-14-20/1213:07> »

It was less tricky in 5e, but I see a role for triangulating the source of a matrix (radio) signal as a function of Electronics Warfare.  It's as true on the face of things as "firing a gun should be covered by the firearms skill".  The Trace Icon matrix action follows the "pseudo IP path" through whatever misdirection is represented by your Sleaze attribute, rather than simply identifying the radio broadcast frequencies and using trigonometry to pinpoint its origin.

It's absolutely not spelled out, but in my view a rigger (or a drone using the Electronic Warfare autosoft) in "sufficient proximity" to the matrix signal source can use Matrix Perception to pinpoint the signal, then use Cracking (Electronics Warfare) to replicate the effect of a Trace Icon matrix action.  No access neecessary/doable as an Outsider.  The hitches would be that 1) the rigger (or his drone) has to already physically be "in the vicinity" of the source, 2) "in the vicinity" is completely up to GM fiat, and 3) the Matrix Perception threshold to identify the signal is up to GM fiat and finally 4) the threshold to pinpoint the origin is also completely up to GM discretion

Thatīs about the same way I handle it right now. Basically, the Hacker "convinces" the device to tell him where it is, while the rigger uses classic EWar signal triangulation. Itīs easy to kitbash a little houserule for this, but it would be cool if there was something more official.

Well, strictly RAW, you could form a Rigger/Decker "hybrid PAN" with an RCC and a Cyberdeck - but I remember that you stated somewhere else that this is not intended?

TBH: Intended or not: I think it actually does work out quite well, with a few assumptions added:
  • You have to choose which Program Slots apply.
  • Since the D/F Attributes of RCCs are fixed, they also canīt be swapped with the A/S Attributes of a Cyberdeck, so the "Hybrid PAN" has only a narrow scope for Attribute Adjustments.

Sounds a like valid setup, and not just for Rigger/Hacker hybrids. Due to the rigid Attribute Array and the missing Cyberjack Bonus, itīs worse for "pure" hacking than the Deck+Jack setup. However, some players like to merge these two roles, and even a "pure" Rigger can profit from introducing a deck to the network, because the Sleaze Attribute helps to hide the drones from Matrix detection and traces.

Yes, I said you can cannot combine a deck and RCC ... I got over ruled. Allowing it opens up the hybrid a lot more ... which was not intended until the splatbook.

Also nothing stopping a rigger from using a cyber jack too ... other then investment vs limited return on benefits
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <04-14-20/1226:33> »
Honestly a cheapie cyberdeck seems like a valid expense for a Rigger. The cheapest cyberdeck is under 25,000 nuyen and gives you a base matrix attack rating of 7.  That's fragging viable.  You're GAINING edge vs most commlink PANs, and denying edge to low to mid range host networks.
« Last Edit: <04-14-20/1231:02> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-14-20/1619:59> »
...now in 6we it's a specialization of a skill Riggers are unlikely to take
That reminds me. I know we discussed it before, but don't remember if we ever reached consensus on which matrix actions that was affected by which specialization.

Quickly went through the action list and compared it to the previous edition and came up with this:

Cracking - Cybercombat
  • Brute Force
  • Crash Program
  • Data Spike
  • Tarpit??? (new action)

Cracking - Electronic Warfare
  • Hide
  • Jam Signals
  • Snoop

Cracking - Hacking
  • Backdoor Entry
  • Crack File
  • Disarm Data Bomb??? (used to be Software)
  • Probe
  • Spoof Command

Electronics - Computer
  • Check OS
  • Control Device
  • Edit File
  • Erase Matrix Signature
  • Format Device
  • Matrix Perception
  • Matrix Search
  • Reboot Device
  • Trace Icon

Electronics - Software
  • Encrypt File??? (used to be part of Edit File, so maybe still Computer?)
  • Hash Check??? (new action)
  • Set Data Bomb

Electronics - Hardware
  • Jack Out
  • Jump Into Rigged Device??? (used to be electronic warfare)
  • Switch device to wireless off
  • Switch ownership of device??? (not possible, yet)

Did I miss anything / did something change for this edition / can perhaps some actions be triggered by more than one specialization??

Yes, I said you can cannot combine a deck and RCC ... I got over ruled. Allowing it opens up the hybrid a lot more ... which was not intended until the splatbook.

Also nothing stopping a rigger from using a cyber jack too ... other then investment vs limited return on benefits
OK, this rather radically changes how I used to look at things, up until now.... :-)

So you can basically use a commlink (cheap) and/or a RCC (super useful) and/or a cyberjack (edge actions). You can take both Hide and Spoof Command actions (but without a cyberdeck you will probably give free edge to your target). If you already have a RCC and/or cyberjack you will probably not really benefit much of also having a commlink.

And no matter which device (or combination of devices) you are using for your D/F array you can also add a cyberdeck (hacking, cybercombat, earn edge).

Whichever device will soak matrix damage when your matrix persona is targeted seems a bit confusing, but this can be solved by the attacker declaring the actual device he is attacking (commlink, datajack, RCC, control rig, cyberjack, cyberdeck...)

Honestly a cheapie cyberdeck seems like a valid expense for a Rigger. The cheapest cyberdeck is under 25,000 nuyen and gives you a base matrix attack rating of 7.  That's fragging viable.  You're GAINING edge vs most commlink PANs, and denying edge to low to mid range host networks.
For sure (but you probably also need to invest into Cracking and Electronics to take advantage of it).

I am looking from the decker point of view. There are pretty strong arguments to get a strong RCC rather than a strong cyberjack. RCCs are super useful, they automatically reduce noise, have similar D/F ratings, can slave a large number of drones and don't cost essence. They don't allow edge actions (but I guess you could invest into a used rating 1 cyberjack just to unlock that).
« Last Edit: <04-15-20/0334:25> by Xenon »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <04-14-20/1645:43> »
...now in 6we it's a specialization of a skill Riggers are unlikely to take
That reminds me. I know we discussed it before, but don't remember if we ever reached consensus on which matrix actions that was affected by which specialization.

Quickly went through the action list and compared it to the previous edition and came up with this:

Cracking - Cybercombat
  • Brute Force
  • Crash Program
  • Data Spike
  • Tarpit??? (new action)

Cracking - Electronic Warfare
  • Hide
  • Jam Signals
  • Snoop

Cracking - Hacking
  • Backdoor Entry
  • Crack File
  • Disarm Data Bomb??? (used to be Software)
  • Probe
  • Spoof Command

Electronics - Computer
  • Check OS
  • Control Device
  • Edit File
  • Erase Matrix Signature
  • Format Device
  • Matrix Perception
  • Matrix Search
  • Reboot Device
  • Trace Icon

Electronics - Software
  • Encrypt File??? (used to be part of Edit File, so maybe still Computer?)
  • Hash Check??? (new action)
  • Set Data Bomb

Electronics - Hardware
  • Jack Out
  • Jump Into Rigged Device??? (used to be electronic warfare)

Did I miss anything / did something change for this edition / can perhaps some actions be triggered by more than one specialization??

OK, this rather radically changes how I used to look at things, up until now.... :-)

So you can basically use a commlink (cheap) and/or a RCC (super useful) and/or a cyberjack (edge actions). You can take both Hide and Spoof Command actions (but without a cyberdeck you will probably give free edge to your target). If you already have a RCC and/or cyberjack you will probably not really benefit much of also having a commlink.

And no matter which device (or combination of devices) you are using for your D/F array you can also add a cyberdeck (hacking, cybercombat, earn edge).

Whichever device will soak matrix damage when your matrix persona is targeted seems a bit confusing, but this can be solved by the attacker declaring the actual device he is attacking (commlink, datajack, RCC, control rig, cyberjack, cyberdeck...)

For sure (but you probably also need to invest into Cracking and Electronics to take advantage of it).

I am looking from the decker point of view. There are pretty strong arguments to get a strong RCC rather than a strong cyberjack. RCCs are super useful, they automatically reduce noise, have similar D/F ratings, can slave a large number of drones and don't cost essence. They don't allow edge actions (but I guess you could invest into a used rating 1 cyberjack just to unlock that).

Yep ... you point out many of the reasons why I am against allowing a deck and RCC to combine. In fact never allow it in my home games.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-14-20/1656:01> »
Cracking/Electronics specializations:

Ugh, this is one of my lingering pet peeves with 6we.  There simply is no good answer, because ultimately the coverage of a specialization is not legislated by the rulebook but by the GM.  So, from an errata point of view, there's nothing to "fix".  Now, I personally believe that's not a great answer... as clearly the specializations are simply former 5e skills and those who are familiar with 5e can intuit what they do and don't cover.  But in certain cases, the extent and limitations of those specializations are very unclear if you do NOT carry over a 5e perspective.  Firearms was one skill that was particularly bad in this regard (what is and isn't a longarm?  does an AK-97 fall under longarms, or automatics? etc)  Electronics is even worse. (ok, when are you NOT employing a computer when using the electronics skill?)  But some fights are won and some are lost.  Obviously Firearms got errata'd, Electronics/Cracking did not.

Where the stance that "the GM says what it does and doesn't cover" basically works from an errata point of view, it's going to be gnarly from a SRM point of view.  SRM doesn't want the FAQ to turn into guerrilla errata doc, but I'll bet NERPS to nuyen that SRM is going to have to address what the Cracking/Electronics specializations do and don't cover.  "For SRM purposes" isn't errata, but it may end up having to be the way this particular knot is worked out.

EDIT: My personal opinion is to call Computer "matrix actions that do not involve a device or data bombs", and Software is "matrix actions that involve a physical device or data bombs", and Hardware "Electronics actions that are not done via Matrix Actions".  This rationale ends up splitting matrix actions fairly close to even between Computer and Software, with computer on the shorter end of the list but with the vastly more important actions like Matrix Perception and Matrix Search.  Hardware has by far the least number of uses under the matrix rules, but it's invoked in all kinds of other contexts from lockpicking to repairing items. Perhaps most important Hardware function of all is switching Wireless Off, which is now a skill test in this edition.  And presumably Hardware will also have an upcoming role in "illegally changing ownership of an item", when we do get rules for that in this edition.

Yep ... you point out many of the reasons why I am against allowing a deck and RCC to combine. In fact never allow it in my home games.

I'm torn.  While I want the Cyberdeck to combo with the RCC so that Riggers have a way to hijack drones/vehicles (which seems like something that should be their department), I can see issues with letting deckers use RCCs in combination with cyberdecks.  Or, more accurately, using all three at once: Cyberdeck for unlocking A/S actions, cyberjack for init bonuses and unlocking edge actions, RCCs for lots of slaves and doubling up on program slots.
« Last Edit: <04-14-20/1714:34> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #23 on: <04-14-20/1715:57> »
If the Matrix book has some "Must Have" Matrix Edge Actions, Cyberjacks become much more valuable. 

RCC's noise reduction doesn't work if you've formed your Persona with the Cyberdeck.  The RCC is just another widget in your PAN.  Between the RCC and any slaved drones, sure, but not for Decker to Target Noise.  If you've formed your Persona with the RCC, Matrix Perception just became a Major Action.

Also the RCC is briefcase sized piece of tech to lug around and get through checkpoints.  Sometimes that will matter.

There are trade offs to consider, but overall the RCC/Cyberdeck is slightly better (IMO) but not overwhelmingly so.

Mainly it's the Essence cost of Cyberjacks that is just brutal.  For a shooty Decker that wants to AR Hack the RCC really becomes the best choice because of the Essence costs.  Or any kind of Magical character that wants to be a Hacker.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <04-14-20/1807:49> »
Ahhh, forgot about the Noise reduction... Yeah, that would definetely be too much of a benefit for hackers if unchecked. But that could easily be solved by restricting the Noise reduction of the RCC to commanding its own drones.

Anyways: Sure, itīs tricky to balance the RCC-Deck setup in a way that still keeps the the Cyberjack+Deck setup the better option for actual hacking. There needs to be some restrictions to the benefits you can get from. RCC Noise reduction for hacking? Hard Nope. Additional Programm Slots? Nope (btw, thatīs also a problem with Link/Deck setups). And yes, the Cyberjack could generally use more love.* 

But outright banning it? Strongly against that. It recreates a somewhat artificial divide between riggers and hackers and RCC from 5th Edition, were these conceptually close Archetypes were made incompatible just because the persona had to run on one of the 2 devices and no switiching was allowed without losing hacked access. Also, having a way to get a Sleaze Attribute is an overlooked necessity to one of the most important roles of Riggers: Recon. Without it, the pool for a hidden drone to resist matrix detection and tracing is so low that even lower-tier Matrix Experts can easily pull it off.

*About that: It would already make a great difference if the rather unimpressing VR Initiative Bonus were actual Initiative Dice or some other bonus that makes VR more attractive. Because lets be honesst, VR could use some love, too. The +2 Bonus for Hot-Sim is gone and the bonus ID for both VR modes have been lowered as well. Right now, VR is often outplayed by physical initiative enhancements, which allows you to hack and shoot faster. Matrix Perception as a Minor Action doesnīt really make up for that.
« Last Edit: <04-14-20/1816:50> by Finstersang »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <04-15-20/0315:58> »
Hardware has by far the least number of uses under the matrix rules, but it's invoked in all kinds of other contexts from lockpicking to repairing items.
Both lockpicking and repairing matrix damage was moved to Engineering in this edition...

(I can understand picking mechanical locks and repairing non-matrix damage being engineering, but both rewiring the inner circuits in order to control a maglock and repairing electronics that received matrix damage still make a lot more sense as a hardware specialization of the electronics skill IMO)

Perhaps most important Hardware function of all is switching Wireless Off, which is now a skill test in this edition.  And presumably Hardware will also have an upcoming role in "illegally changing ownership of an item", when we do get rules for that in this edition.
Good points. I'll edit them to the list above for future reference.

If the Matrix book has some "Must Have" Matrix Edge Actions, Cyberjacks become much more valuable.
You could still "unlock" all of them by simply having a rating 1 cyberjack...

If you've formed your Persona with the RCC, Matrix Perception just became a Major Action.
Still minor action if you have a cyberjack...

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <04-15-20/0609:48> »
I am shifting back and fourth on this matter. Lately been reading what the book actually says to get some guidance.

It seem as if you use a single device to "access the Matrix" in this edition as well, just like we did in the previous edition (and just like Hobbes wrote above).

It seem as if most people "access the Matrix" via a commlink. Most commlinks provide active program slots. Commlink is often upgraded with a Sim Module, but to access the Sim Module you also need DNI. Most people seem to get DNI by either wearing trodes or implanting a datajack.

SR6 p. 174 Devices
Most people access the Matrix through a device. Nowadays, everyone has a commlink...
SR6 p. 267 Commlinks
Commlinks are universal communication devices used by virtually everyone all the time...They
also offer plenty of other add-on features.

SR6 p. 174 Devices
Commlinks commonly have an ASIST module (or sim module) that enables the use of AR and cold-sim VR.
SR6 p. 268 Sim Modules
A sim module must be accessed via a direct neural interface
SR6 p. 268 Trodes
This electrode-and-ultrasound net gives you a DNI, or direct neural interface, connection.
SR6 p. 282 Datajack
A datajack gives you a direct neural interface.

It seem as if deckers instead "access the Matrix" via a cyberdeck. That a cyberdeck is to be considered an advanced commlink (that let you hack and gain edge). All cyberdecks provide active program slots. It come preinstalled with a Sim Module already modded for Hot-Sim, but lack a D/F array. A cyberjack seem to be an advanced datajack (rather than an advanced commlink). It also provide deckers with a D/F array and it is required to open up matrix specific edge actions.

SR6 p. 174 Devices
Any clown with a commlink can access the basic functions of the Matrix, but making it do what you want on command requires a cyberdeck...In game terms, the difference between a commlink and a cyberdeck is that the cyberdeck possesses the Matrix Attributes needed for hacking
SR6 p. 267 Cyberdecks
All cyberdecks include hot-sim modules.
SR6 p. 176 Cyberjacks
Cyberjacks are a fairly invasive piece of gear, implanted deep into the brain, and meant to interface more smoothly with a cyberdeck. While they can act as a simple datajack, they also perform the function of integrating the ASIST interface more directly, thus providing superior speed and response times.
SR6 p. 283 Cyberjacks
The cyberjack provides a decker’s primary defense against hacking, offering Data Processing and Firewall ratings that cyberdecks no longer possess, and they also function as a standard datajack. Cyberjacks also allow special Matrix Edge Actions
SR6 p. 175 Matrix Edge Actions
In order to use the Matrix Edge Actions listed below, you must have an implanted cyberjack.

It seem as if riggers "access the Matrix" via a rigger command console, or RCC (but it seem to also be possible to directly remote control or instruct single vehicles and drones via a commlink, and possible even a cyberdeck, just less efficient). All RCCs provide active program slots, but they don't have Sim Modules. A vehicle control rig, or VCR, seem to be an advanced datajack (rather than an advanced commlink). It also provide riggers with a Sim Module and it is required for jumping into vehicles and drones.

SR6 p. 198 Rigging and Dumpshock
...the device they’re using for remote commands, whether it’s a commlink or RCC...
SR6 p. 197 Rigger Command Console
Along with its defensive capabilities, an RCC can run autosofts and can share them out to all slaved drones. The number of programs and autosofts it can share out is equal to the RCC’s Data Processing rating.
SR6 p. 283 Control Rig
It has a built-in sim module, allowing DNI with other devices. It also comes with a universal data connector and about a meter of retractable cable that functions like a datajack.
SR6 p. 197 Control Rigs and You
In order to jump into a vehicle, drone, or other supported device, a rigger must have an implanted vehicle control rig (VCR)...

But even if it seem clear that you still "access the Matrix" via one single device (commlink, cyberdeck or RCC) it seem as if you and your PAN in this edition may take use of D/F attributes from other devices. If you are using a cyberdeck, but for some reason don't have a cyberjack, you can for example shift in the D/F array of a cheap commlink (or a RCC?). But it seem as if it is just the attributes you shift in. You still "access the Matrix" through your cyberdeck. It still seem to be your cyberdeck that provide you with a matrix condition monitor and will soak matrix damage if you get hurt. You still seem to get dumped from the matrix if your cyberdeck get bricked. It still seem to be your cyberdeck that provide you with active program slots.

SR6 p. 183 Reconfigure Matrix Attribute
Swap the base ratings of two attributes of your Matrix Persona, even if the numbers are rooted in different devices.
SR6 p. 179 Matrix Damage
Typically, Matrix damage is inflicted against the device an individual is using to access the Matrix.
SR6 p. 175 Bricked Devices
Users of a bricked device are abruptly ejected from the Matrix, and VR users have to deal with dumpshock
« Last Edit: <04-15-20/0614:01> by Xenon »

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-15-20/0625:29> »
So it seems as if you are using a Cyberdeck to "access the Matrix" but you also happen to have a RCC then have the option to take the Reconfigure Matrix Attribute action to swap in D/F attributes from your RCC.

(Note that this does not automatically mean you may or may not be allowed to also use program slots, noise reduction, instruct multiple drones with one action, running and sharing autosofts, increased number of slaved drones and providing noise reduction, etc)

...but what if you "access the Matrix" via your RCC but you also happen to have a Cyberdeck. Are you then allowed to swap in A/S attributes from your cyberdeck?? Because if are, then you suddenly have the ability to hack, engage in cybercombat and earn edge directly via matrix actions even though you "access the Matrix" via a RCC! :-/

If this is intended then a decker using a cyberdeck but also happen to have a RCC should probably also be allowed to slave drones to the RCC as well as instructing multiple drones with the Command Drone minor action etc. etc.

If this is not intended then the root cause here seem to be the whole concept of shifting matrix attribute between devices. I think this could have been solved by just stating that when you and your PAN "access the Matrix" via a cyberdeck you can benefit from the D/F array of either explicitly one commlink or explicitly one cyberjack implant...

I think this whole Corona isolation thing give me way to much spare-time overthinking stuff like this. Time to do something else! :D

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <04-15-20/0812:22> »
I think this whole Corona isolation thing give me way to much spare-time overthinking stuff like this. Time to do something else! :D

I feel caught :D

Youīre on the right scent, though. Itīs mostly a balancing problem.

On one hand, if you completely disallow PANs with RCCs and Decks, it creates an artificial divide between Hackers and Riggers. And from my experience, players donīt really see these as two completely seperate Archetypes (or even "Archenemies", although thatīs kinda true) and more on a spectrum. Hacker PC that want to expand their option will often look for a Drone or two, and Rigger PC will often peek a bit into Hacking things. Itīs a logical conclusion. The Synergies are obviously high. Also, as I said above: The ability to get a sleaze Attribute for Drones (which BTW had been denied to Riggers for the entirety of 5th Edition!) is almost a necissity to actually doing proper Drone recon. What good does a Loockheed Optic-X do if every dork with a commlink and a mediocre Matrix Perception pool can easily pick up its signal?

On the other hand, the balancing between RCC + Deck and Cyberjack + Deck setups doesntīt work out. Even if you restrict the Noise Reduction of the RCC to commanding the slaved drones, restrict the User to one Programm limit etc.: RCCs offer the same Matrix Attributes as Cyberjacks at a much lower price tag and without the Essence cost. The additional benefits of the Cyberjack (the Edge Actions and VR Initiative Buff) are not good enough - Granted, thatīs because they were not designed to compete with RCCs as the second Matrix device for hackers.

I see a few possible solutions:
  • Substantial buff to Cyberjacks: Especially the VR Initiative Buff is almost pointless right now. Even if you happen to start Combat in VR and this measly bonus is just enough to let you act sooner: Turn order is secondary for Hackers, they need Actions and dice to get stuff done.
  • Severe restrictions on RCC benefiting Hackers: No borrowing of the RCCs D/F once "on a hack", restricting the Noise reduction to slaved Drones only, no additional Programms. IMO itīs not that big of a deal in the other direction, though.
« Last Edit: <04-15-20/0814:27> by Finstersang »

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-15-20/1013:39> »
Hardware has by far the least number of uses under the matrix rules, but it's invoked in all kinds of other contexts from lockpicking to repairing items.
Both lockpicking and repairing matrix damage was moved to Engineering in this edition...

Look closer. Quite a few devices require the use of Electronics (Hardware), keycard copiers among them.  (also, Bug scanners, a fairly typical piece of gear for runners who don't have a regular decker teammate...) 

Fair point about the repairing bricked/formatted devices. However, I was talking about B/R tests. But on re-looking at the rules for them in this edition, the presentation DOES look like they are an expression of the Engineering skill rather than the "Whatever skill the GM says you need" wild west approach to B/R in 5e.

@Price of Cyberjacks vs RCCs:
The most important aspect of either (IMO) is the D/F stats they bring to your Persona.  Now, RCCs are generally cheaper, and absolutely don't cost essence.  But as already pointed out, they're physically big and that poses problems if you want to smuggle them or be discreet while carrying around a giant R/C controller.  Also a problem if you want to do AR hacking while fighting.  They don't have rules for what kinds of things require two hands to use, but it strains credibility to argue that you can operate a briefcase-or-typewriter-sized comms device AND still be firing a gun at the same time.  So that's kind of a big drawback for Action Jackson deckers.

Furthermore, the RCC's *general* advantage in price is not absolute.  Since Cyberjacks are cyberware, they're available in grades.  No, that doesn't mean they just get MORE expensive! This is 6we ;)  Used grade is a fragging phenomenally good deal in this edition.  So I consider cyberjacks to truly only cost HALF of what the base cost says.  (1/2 nuyen price for +10% essence price?  I'll take that.) And when you compare RCCs to Cyberjacks at half listed price: RCCs start out with worse D/F stats than where the Cyberjack even begins.  Yes, RCCs with stats comparable to the low end Cyberjacks are slightly cheaper now, the nuyen price goes hard in the Cyberjack's favor once you start getting into the 6/5 stat range.  AND cyberjacks offer higher D/F stats than RCCs ever do at any price.

@needing Sleaze so you can run your Drones Silent:
Well, I'm not about to argue that there's no value in running a drone silent.  But I AM going to argue that failing to run a drone silent means much.

In 5e, the choice to run silent or not was a real double edged sword.  I usually opted to just Not.  Even as the decker!  1) if you're NOT a decker, you're gonna be seen anyway so why bother. 2) in light of 1, why take the -2 dice.  3) Running silent paradoxically raises suspicions. You don't get a defense against someone making a perception roll asking "is there a silent running icon in my vicinity/inside the host with me?"  In the case of riggers, if someone asks "are there drones within 100 meters of me?" the answer (unless you're in the barrens/wilds) is always "duh.  About 1d6 hundred drones are currently active within 100 meters of you."  Someone has to successfully mark your drone before they can trace its location in order to discover it's someplace it shouldn't be, and THAT you can defend against without needing Sleaze.

So, in 6we the calculus changes somewhat.  There's no longer a -2 dice to everything you do while running silent. There's no longer the total giveaway of explicitly only needing 1 hit on an unopposed Matrix Perception test (which anyone with 4 dice can buy that hit) to learn someone's trying to be sneaky nearby.  However, in this edition you don't have to "look" for the silent running icon after asking "are there any to look for".  One matrix perception test forces every silent running PAN nearby to defend, so you'll have to defend more often.  So all these factors tip the scales towards wanting to run silent.

However. One important aspect still is intact, and it's arguably the most important one.  Inarguably the most important one, if you're trying to be stealthy: Icons that are running silent are inherently suspicious.  There's a risk involved in running silent, as detection WILL raise security awareness.  The alternative is to simply NOT run silent, and hide your totally not-supposed-to-be-there drone among the overwhelming noise of millions of other icons a potential observer is also seeing.  In order to know your drone is in a place it shouldn't be, they still have to know its physical location and just spotting the matrix signal doesn't give that information away.  That information has to be learned via Trace Icon, which means they have to have gained access.  Which means they have to have suspected your drone's signal for some reason in the first place.  Why are they hacking YOUR drone's signal, when there are surely hundreds, if not thousands, of other drone signals like it?  And assuming there is a viable reason for them to do so (not saying there can't be one),  you STILL get to defend against that attempt to hack access even w/o a Sleaze attribute or having been running silent.
« Last Edit: <04-15-20/1022:37> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »