« Reply #15 on: <04-02-11/1145:59> »
They see me surfin', I be trollin'...   :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #16 on: <04-03-11/1641:24> »
As long as you are not buying the new german ones, you should be mostly fine regardless of which ones you are buying . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-10-11/2306:53> »
The Secrets of Power trilogy is ok, but again deviates from the rules (well the rules that existed back then) pretty frequently, but it was pretty good at catching the mood of SR.

Findley wrote several good ones, but alot of the one-shot type writers were passable to really awful.  I also can't stand Kenson's books.

Burning Bright was one of the best IMO.

Overall I'd say the novel line is pretty weak overall, but honestly you don't go buy novels based on RPGs expecting consistent high quality stuff.

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <07-21-11/2031:54> »
Can anyone tell me a good website to order the novels from?
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Frankie the Fomori

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <07-21-11/2038:30> »
I would throw my favorite out there: Changeling. Story about a young boy who turns troll, then the catches up with him after he makes a rep for a Hitman in Chicago and some of the choices he has to make. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <07-21-11/2118:39> »
I would throw my favorite out there: Changeling. Story about a young boy who turns troll, then the catches up with him after he makes a rep for a Hitman in Chicago and some of the choices he has to make.
A nice, shiny Chi-Town, at that!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #21 on: <07-22-11/0055:37> »
Can anyone tell me a good website to order the novels from?
Ebay is a good place to find the old novels. They've also started releasing ePubs at BattleCorps.com and DriveThruRPG.com

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <07-22-11/0130:33> »
Why aren't the novels sold on this website? I tried ebay but I didn't see much. I'd really prefer to get the hard copies instead of pdf also.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #23 on: <07-22-11/0133:48> »
Why aren't the novels sold on this website? I tried ebay but I didn't see much. I'd really prefer to get the hard copies instead of pdf also.
I'm not sure, but it might have to do with licensing issues and/or just how old some of them are (and out of print).  Remember, the game's been around 22 years or so, now, and the novels have been around about as long. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <07-22-11/0449:13> »
Not to mention dealing with the authors/writers.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #25 on: <07-22-11/0844:54> »
Other than the already mentioned ones, I have a soft spot for Mel Odom's work: Preying for Keeps and Headhunters. But so far my favorite is Run Hard, Die Fast also by Odom. Being a relatively new father, I kind of have a soft spot for Jack Skater.

But I would also HIGHLY recommend Steven Kenson's works, Crossroads, Ragnarok, and The Burning Times.  Tommy Talon is one of my favorite SR "legends" and yes, can't wait to see his bio in Street Legends.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <07-22-11/1100:47> »
I really liked the Kenson novels as well. I honestly Don't understand why many people didn't care for them. (I get this from reading many forum posts about the novels)

~Dodger
"I am no paladin. I never will be. I
refuse to be twisted to serve any person's will."
-Dodger
-Choose Your Enemies Carefully-

Neurosis

• Chummer
  • ain't no rest for the wicked
« Reply #27 on: <07-22-11/1530:34> »
Secrets of Power Trilogy, anything by Nigel Findley ( :'( ), and anything by Tom Dowd.  I also happen to like Fade To Black by Nyx Smith, although may don't.

Out of the other old stuff, there's stuff that I think is better than other stuff, but I won't post my 'de-recommendations' as that would not be suited to professional courtesy.
~"Pirates and bankrobbers, not lawyers and CEOs
Stockbrokers ain't no heroes!"~

Devon Oratz//CGL Freelancer
My Blog: tarotAmerican
My RPGs: endTransmission.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <07-22-11/1540:47> »
I'm just hoping we'll hear news of new ones soon...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #29 on: <07-22-11/1647:12> »
Now I like the Striper books, if only for the different viewpoint. an animal viewpoint with human level intelligence

I notice that no one mentioned "Never trust an elf". it has Kham from the powers triology. it shows a different of running, caring for one's family. Also, some metaplotting going along with one of the first sighting of cyborgs. And it shows life for an ork in Seattle.

Into the shadows is a collection of short stories are interconnected together, excpet the 1st story.

Mel odom, nyx, both good writers. 

there were 4 novels that came out during the 3rd ED.
3 dealt mage coming into her own. basically, the 3 books were written to bring new players into the world of SR and it scope. not the best of novels, but a fair intro
one book wasn't about a run, but about a corp trying to move a bunch of squatters off some hidden medical stuff.

a fifth book with the same kind of borders, is about a troll archer and a crew he had put together to do a run. 95% of the book is about what happens after they steal the items they are after, and it gets wild at times. until Spells & Chrome came out, it was the closes to 4th Ed the novels had come.

sorry I cannot remember the names or find my copies at the moment to refresh my memory

Register