NEWS

Routers, modes, and mesh networks

• 3 Replies

kirk

• Omae
« on: <08-24-11/0944:09> »
In Errata, Redjack asked for clarification of an apparent conflict. SR4A 218 says
The routing functions of a device are handled by a separate component of hardware than the other functions of the device.  This makes the routing process invisible to the user, and allows the device’s node to connect to the Matrix even when it is operating in Hidden mode
while Unwired 54 says
Due to the mesh-network nature  of  the  Matrix,  every  wireless node can function as a router and will do so if not in passive or hidden mode
Redjack thinks the Unwired definition should apply. After thought, I disagree. The reason is that passive and hidden nodes can still be seen with matrix perception.

If'n I were to explain what's going on, I'd do it this way. (My opinion, not RAW or even FAW (Fluff as written).)

The settings don't touch the router. The router always receives, and always forwards. Forwards can go to any other router, and any addressed to its node are forwarded to, well, the node.

What the settings affect is the node. In active mode the NODE sends its access ID and a supplemental ID package; public profile stuff.  Other nodes receive the public profile stuff and send material related to the public profile. (Spam, of course, is "related" to any/all public profiles. sigh.)  One critical element of the public profile is the persona ID.

In passive mode the node sends /just/ the access ID. The spammers still send to the access ID, but since they don't also have the personal ID they're dropped. Essentially, they're packets addressed to occupant.

In hidden mode the node doesn't even send the access ID. It receives, it forwards. If the access ID is in the packet it will forward it to the node.  This, by the way, is why a team which has set all its comms to hidden is still in communication. They know their teammates' access IDs.

Are there weaknesses? Yep. Does knowing the answer make or break the game? Nope. But it's still my working hypothesis for how it works.

Redjack

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-25-11/1307:29> »
First, I appreciate conversation on this. As you stated, we do disagree and I hope you will understand a little better with some additional details:
The reason is that passive and hidden nodes can still be seen with matrix perception.
The reason it can be found with Matrix Perception is that even a hidden node is still broadcasting, just not advertising. It it also ignoring traffic from non-authenticated sources.

The settings don't touch the router. The router always receives, and always forwards. Forwards can go to any other router, and any addressed to its node are forwarded to, well, the node.
It has to establish a route though, otherwise all the traffic in the world would go all places (in modern day this error condition is referred to as a broadcast storm)

In hidden mode the node doesn't even send the access ID. It receives, it forwards. If the access ID is in the packet it will forward it to the node.  This, by the way, is why a team which has set all its comms to hidden is still in communication. They know their teammates' access IDs.
That is not correct. In modern day terms the Access ID serves the functions of both the MAC address and IP address. If you don't give a "reply-to" address, the hidden node com never receives a reply.

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-25-11/1503:07> »
Redjack, I'm actually sorta familiar with computers and networks. In the real world, my first computer-related job was in 1982, and I've been incidentally connected ever since.

Now, you're telling me that I'm wrong not because of what's in the book but because of how the real world works. There's a small problem.

The Matrix of SR is not the TCP/IP internet of today. Can't be, for exactly the reasons you state.   Thing is, VR and cybergear and a lot of the nanotech, not to mention the whole world of magic, are all impossible by today's understanding. So the first step is at least some suspension of disbelief.

That said, there are some theoretical concepts in the real world that would allow, at least in part, the systems as described in SR which would operate as I stated. In particular I'm thinking of the ones that do not require an ACK signal. Blind sending, holographic addressing, distributed ad hoc DNS, and electronic variations of drunkards walks all come to mind as examples. I don't think any of them are exactly how the Matrix works, but I think they're possibilities.

What I described is what the fluff says about the system. It works as I described. In the end my version might be as valid as phlogiston chemistry. But at least I'm not trying to tear my hair out resolving the conflict between real world and how the game describes things a working. It works for me, my way doesn't break the game (nor does it force interpretations of actual play rules on others), so barring a directive from the PTB it's the way I'll continue to interpret what I'm reading.

Redjack

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-25-11/2219:10> »
Now, you're telling me that I'm wrong not because of what's in the book but because of how the real world works.
Actually, I was explaining why I support the Unwired interpretation over the base rules. In any case, feel free to use which ever rules work best at your table and I will at mine (though I'm not sure where the hair pulling comes from..?).

Cheers.