NEWS

Obsession?...Maybe

• 55 Replies

kirk

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <08-21-11/2152:25> »
For what it's worth, I don't have any firearms unless/until I get to the tertiary bag.

My pocket BoB is a leatherman, a whistle, a signal mirror, and a bottle of iodine tablets. The whistle has a lanyard made from 12 feet of 550 cord, and I've tucked a rubber shower cap into the mirror's case. I usually (but not always) have a small utility knife and a small disposable lighter on me as well.

In 90, maybe 95% of potential situations needing a BoB, I want to be found, not hide. In the remaining circumstances, most of the time hiding is a lot better than fighting; it's amazing how carrying a firearm will make one overestimate one's own threat capability.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <08-21-11/2154:21> »
If you carry a melee weapon, a machete is best. IMO...  I do have a good background with blades ( 7 years fencing, 3 of those being a fencing instructor, and assorted other blade training) Just keeping it simple is best.
Nepalese Khukri?  (*NOT* I should point out, one of the Indian knock-offs, or worse, Chinese.).

I also advocate either an entrenching tool (The older 1950s style, not the new aluminum PoSes) or a Crowbar for a variety of useful tools and close combat usefulness.  Machetes and Khukris are useful for brush work, as well, but a Crowbar can open doors and crates as well as zombie heads without damaging the blade.

Also, bring a whetstone or a sharpening steel if you have a blade.
Lever action rifle, and a revolver chambered in the same caliber. Not having to worry about fumbling around with different ammo. Although on another note, having the same ammo means you're limited to that. What if you use .45, and you come across a huge stash of 9mm?
Simplicity of design is a good thing, and you don't get much more simple in a multi-shot weapon than a lever-action or a revolver.  Just make sure you get a Swing-Out Cylinder or a Break-Open revolver rather than a solid-framed one.  A sliding gate reload is the last thing you want to try in combat.  But as I've seen Lever-Actions in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum, that shouldn't be hard to do.  They're good civilian rounds as well.  .357 would probably be a better choice, lighter to carry means more ammo, and it's more than enough to splatter a Zed but good.  Also, gunslinger belts and ammo pouches are easy to get/make/improvise.  Police your brass, however, in case you find a reloading bench (And know how to reload ammo, of course.).

A Medusa Revolver (If you can find one) is great.  It'll chamber and use any 9mm/.38 caliber pistol ammunition you can find.  Out of production for quite some time.  Too bad.

The ammunition thing was a major concern for my group when I ran Deadlands:  Hell On Earth, as they tended to keep a brace of different types of Pistols, SMGs, and Rifles just in case they found the different types of ammunition.  Of course, they had a truck.  The problem was keeping it fueled.  But it shows how bad things can get when your .45 runs out of ammo and all you can find are 9mm, as the above example.

IRL, different calibers were major problems for almost every military for quite some time.  An example is the US Army, which had...  I think three different pistols that used .45 Caliber ammo, but some wouldn't take .45 Colt Long, but would use .45 S&W (Which had a shorter case.) and their logistics, well...  BC:  Before Computers.  Just before the turn of the century most countries had finally standardized on a rifle caliber (Each) and was working on doing the same for pistol calibers when World War I came around.

NATO/Warsaw Pact standardized a lot, but the civilian stuff still causes headaches at times.  And, with the Cold War over, I could see some return to the old "One Country, One Caliber" as people experiment around with different calibers.

As for bags, yes, bigger bags means you're likely to overload them, but if you're able to resist it, it means you're able to scrounge more as you go if you find stuff that's really useful that you didn't pack before.  Army Surplus is your friend here as you can prioritize different bags and drop some for combat situations while keeping your essentials with you.

*Shrugs*  I'm a gun nut, I talk to a lot of vets, and I role play.  I also need mental distractions for a variety of reasons, so I plan and figure out what and how to improvise.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Bane

• Newb
« Reply #47 on: <08-21-11/2215:30> »
Very valid points. I also need distractions from various things, and so do many I work with.

I shall play devil's advocate, even though I agree with most you said.

Crowbars are heavy... Big thing right there. Useful, but even the titanium ones weigh more than I'd like.
The khukri is an amazing weapon... One of my favorite, if well made.

I've had to reload a gate revolver in a stressful situation (Competition shooting western style) and it is not fun. I'm partial to break open, just because I think it's cooler than swing out. Slightly...
.357 is my favorite caliber ever. It's almost perfect for all but shooting someone in body armor.

A good thing is that almost any caliber pistol can be found in a hold out model. So I'd just keep a few in my bag of different calibers.

Also a Mad Max style sawed off shotgun would be the perfect "Oh s**t, I'm going to die" weapon.

On another note, I was at a local gun show the other weekend, and fell in love with the Taurus Circuit Judge. The carbine form of the revolver chambered in 410 guage and .45 LC. I loved it.
I prefer the classics to most modern guns. Show me a tricked out M4, with all the accessories, and I say "Meh." Show me a Mares Leg, and I say "Gimme."

Problem with one caliber is there is a different bullet for everything you want to do. Self defense, self defense for weaker people, for stronger, hunting, hunting different things, et cetera...

Anyway, we should idea stuff sometime.
Peace is a lie.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #48 on: <08-22-11/0025:32> »
Also a Mad Max style sawed off shotgun would be the perfect "Oh s**t, I'm going to die" weapon.
Idea I stole off a friend's website:  "'Emergency' Hand Grenade on a lanyard"

Anyway, we should idea stuff sometime.
Probably better if we don't.  I think I'm on enough government watch lists as it is...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #49 on: <08-22-11/2332:11> »
This is my preferred BOB.  http://www.tacticaltailor.com/threedayplusassaultpack.aspx

Without the outer bags it can still hold a lot and it's not so large that you're tempted to really weigh yourself down.  Pack teh outer bags (EMPTY) into the main, and use them as you find things you need. 

I'm a huge fan of KISS in this and many cases.
Multi-tool
Straightblade (between 4-6 inches)
E-Tool
Camelback
purification tabs
canteen
compass
map
Emergency Radio
matches and zippo
notepad with directions to safe places/friends
Cash/IDs/Critical papers
Trail rats for a week (MREs, E-bars, whatever)
Bottle of Ranger Candy
few changes of socks and underwear

protective gear:
pistol (my choice is a Springfield .40 XD and .357/.38 revolver)
broken down .223 M4 or lever action carbine in .357
if you want the emergency firepower...double barreled coach gun (12 gauge)

My Chinese longsword is not the best thing for zombie slaying, but a shortened Tetsubo would work wonders.
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #50 on: <08-23-11/0824:59> »
love the tactical tailor, though some of the prices are astronomical.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Trenchknife

• Chummer
« Reply #51 on: <08-23-11/1157:55> »
love the tactical tailor, though some of the prices are astronomical.

Agreed.  I picked up mine 3-day assault pack over 10 years ago, but it's still as hardy as on day one.  I love the thing.
It's not the man with the gun that gets you.  It's the three bullets he fired that tore through you vital organs that's killed you.

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <08-23-11/2330:06> »
also gotta love that it's on my way into work some weekends.
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #53 on: <08-23-11/2343:14> »
Downside to having an FLGS/Army Surplus store...  Wanting to buy too damned much.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <08-23-11/2350:43> »
there is a long list of places i refuse to apply to for work, as i know i'd end up owing them my entire paycheck plus some each payday!

REI
the Game Matrix in Tacoma
Golden Age Collectables  Pike Place, Seattle
and possibly Costco

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #55 on: <08-23-11/2352:33> »
Oh, I wish I could work there...

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Register