NEWS

The novels, which ones?

• 37 Replies

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« on: <03-08-11/1414:06> »
It's hard to admit as I've played SR since ye olde first edition... But I never read any of the SR novels before, saw a stack of them as of late at my local used book store, was wondering if you folks have thoughts on the 'good ones', and/or the must reads? (i.e. ones with all the meta-plot goodness.  ;D )

(Oh and: sorry if I posted on wrong board, move her if need be.  ;) )
« Last Edit: <03-08-11/1416:34> by Pathica »
~There is no gravity, the world just sucks.~

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <03-08-11/1442:41> »
The traditional starting point has often been seen as the Secrets of Power trilogy;  Never Deal with a Dragon, Choose Your Enemies Carefully, and Find Your Own Truth.  They go over lots of the broad strokes of the Sixth World and how it got this way, and play...uhh...maybe less "fast and loose" with the game rules than lots of the other books.  They're also fun because they take you to Seattle, London, Australia, and lots of points in between.  These feature awesome characters like Ghost-Who-Walks-Inside, Dodger, Hart, and Sally Tsung.  They've also got some Sam guy in the middle of 'em, too.  ;)

Wolf and Raven, by Michael Stackpole, is another oft-cited favorite.  W&R was written before the Shadowrun rules, though, so there's some bits of wonkiness where Stackpole's vision isn't quite what Shadowrun grew into (with the main character, Wolf, in particular, now feeling like a very strange but very awesome hybrid of shaman, adept, and shapeshifter, emphasis on awesome).  It gives us some neat characters, though, some fun slang and footnotes, and Kid Stealth.  It's also nice because it's a collection of short stories, so you don't have to read it in one big go, necessarily, for it to still make sense. 

I like Night's Pawn, because it's a weird sort of espionage, multiple-alias, very elite spy/agent type (Jack Bauer, only semi-retired), kind of over the top story.  Lots of high ranking NPCs are floating around, a lot more tension than action, that sort of thing...but it's not for everyone.

Dead Air is probably my guilty pleasure favorite of all the old-school Shadowrun novels.  It's not even about a shadowrunner, really (though the main character's getting chased by some), it's about a Combat Biker celebrity superjock with a bajillion dollars and a cool Troll adept surfer dude bodyguard.  It's...uhh...better than I just made it sound (in my opinion).  For some reason I've just always loved the silly thing.

And...and...and I'm getting tired of typing, now, so I'll let someone else come in and take over.  When in doubt, though, if I see Shadowrun novels for a good price, I snatch 'em up.  They're not always the most faithful to the setting (since every author has their own idea of what they like, and since they've been written in varying universes, edition by edition), and some of them truly do have some horrible characters in my opinion (like the assassin/stripper weretiger, the female 'runner who wants a sex change so her gay teammate will love her back, the lesbian stripper vampire hunter, that sort of thing)...but by and large they're worth it, as just fun reads, if you can get 'em cheap.

I'd also suggest taking a look at eBay sometime.  You can often do a search for "Shadowrun lot" and hit it really big, instead of paying just half price at a used book store.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #2 on: <03-08-11/1514:37> »
I'd get them all. Like Critias said some are better than others, I personally didn't like the characters in the Secrets of Power trilogy. Some of my favorites are Headhunters, Preying for Keeps, Shadowplay, Run Hard Die Fast, anything by Mel Odom, House of the Sun, Night's Pawn and Dead Air.

If the characters mentioned are Dirk Montgomerry (sp?), Argent, or Jack Skater it's going to be good, imo anyhow.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #3 on: <03-08-11/1516:29> »
Don't forget Nigel's books:

2XS
House of the Sun
Shadowplay
Lone Wolf

God, has it really been 16 years??  :'(

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #4 on: <03-08-11/1532:32> »
Nigel was a hell of a writer. R.I.P.  :(
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #5 on: <03-08-11/1750:12> »
Thanks for the input everybody, the book store is on my to-do-list tomorrow. :)

I don't get to actually play anymore, pulled out my old books, have been getting my SR fix from rereading old shadowtalk.  :P

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #6 on: <03-08-11/2323:30> »
To make another suggestion, try checking out some of the fan-made fiction.  They're easier to find, although some of their quality does suffer compared to professional work.

I'm hoping that we'll see some more re-releases of novels, however.  Nigel's books are available in digital format from the Battleshop.  Which I consider a good thing.  Even if I've already gotten most in Dead Tree Format, there's one that's been a Unicorn for me.  The book that introduced me to Shadowrun, "Shadowplay".
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

DarkTyger

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-11-11/0952:57> »
I'd second the "get em all" comments - even the ones that aren't as good will still provide some additional insight into the world and the life of a runner.  I just re-introduced myself to Shadowrun and decided I wanted to get the books off eBay.  But the shipping costs were going to kill me!

I lucked out the other day, and found 17 of them at one of my local used bookstores - snatched them all up for a whopping $24.00.  Best book buy ever!

I'll compromise and just get one or two a month from eBay, all the while keeping my eyes open at the used stores.

zen bullet

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <03-12-11/0708:15> »
The Nigel Findley books +1000

And Houses of the Sun is a bonus since it's metaplotty. Well, so is 2XS now that I think about it...

Ya Dead Air was cool too. I've always wanted to play a combat biker game cuz of that story.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #9 on: <03-12-11/1131:02> »
Ya Dead Air was cool too. I've always wanted to play a combat biker game cuz of that story.
Dead Air was a Simsense, however.  :P  Not based on "Reality".

OK, I can't believe I just said that.

Anyhow, it made me think about how the combat cycle armor is designed and so on, and I figure the boots are like Ski Boots.  One of the characters I write for has a pair that he wears on Shadowruns.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <03-13-11/1740:46> »
Burning Brightly if you want a good run down on what happened in Chicago.

Pathica

• Newb
  • Eats paint chips
« Reply #11 on: <03-13-11/2352:26> »
Burning Brightly if you want a good run down on what happened in Chicago.
Just finished it, the first of the handful I grabbed. (Thanks again to the advice posters  ;D )

Wasn't bad, fun enough read, though sometimes it read a little like the rules examples in books: "Character A summons spirit B, rolls 5 dice..."

I knew what I was getting into, not going to pick it apart with interweb literary critique, I had fun while I read it, that's all I wanted.  :)

nakano

• Chummer
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #12 on: <03-14-11/0906:06> »
I cannot agree strongly enough, the Nigel Findley books are a must.

dodger

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <04-01-11/2141:49> »
I always enjoyed the Steven Kenson novels. I don't know, I just really liked the fact that he wrote his novels where the main character (Tommy Talon) is based on his in-game character. But I also must say, grab all the ones that you can find as I have yet to read one and not enjoyed the ride.

~Dodger
"I am no paladin. I never will be. I
refuse to be twisted to serve any person's will."
-Dodger
-Choose Your Enemies Carefully-

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #14 on: <04-02-11/0658:52> »
But I also must say, grab all the ones that you can find as I have yet to read one and not enjoyed the ride.
I feel the same way, but I say to grab all of them you can find cheap because it's sort of an insurance policy.  There have been some that I've just plain not enjoyed, and it's always been nice to be able to remind myself I bought a stack of them for $5, so that (a) I didn't spend much on the one I found disagreeable, and (b) I've got another one handy to use to wash away the memories.   ;D  In fairness, that's my general feeling towards just game books in general, it's by no means something that I feel about Shadowrun in particular.  Lots of D&D stuff, Star Wars novels, you name it, are real "hit and miss."

So when in doubt, I troll eBay to buy in bulk.