NEWS

5e Evil Face/Mage

• 4 Replies

NotSoSerious

• Newb
« on: <12-25-19/2132:09> »
Playing on a living community and have occasionally gotten some shade for playing "bleeding hearts" who are "unrealistically moral." Since I tend to prefer playing characters who are generally kind-hearted and moral. At worst, morally impure with a good heart deep down. Some people seem to think this a strange character flaw.
To be clear, not being ostracized or anything. Just an occasional remark when I express hesitation for certain plans ("do we really care if the assassination targets have it coming or not?" "Umm...I do." "Ugh..."). Not enough to hurt, but enough to bug. And overall, the argument is absolute, complete and utter nonsense. But, for fun, I thought I'd swing out to the other side of the pendulum.

So to prove I'm 'hard enough,' I'm trying to roll up a character who is just objectively evil, dripping with edge, and utterly sociopathic; but social enough to function without being geeked. At least for long enough til I get bored of her.

Magic - A
Attributes - B
Skills - C
Resources - D
Meta - E

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1L1as-HcmjE0Gct7-2NAdVJldKMUc1gRh

Going with a specialization in Mind Magic (the most evil of magic), manipulation, and coercion.
Mostly I just have the mechanics down with little flavor, but I do know I'm trying to build a type of egomaniac who wants to be worshiped and takes sadistic pleasure in turning others' misfortune to her opportunity.

Any evil qualities I'm missing? (Before the obvious is stated: Better to be feared than loved is banned.)
Or obviously evil spells?
Or are there any completely amoral gear/tactics you would recommend?
Or, are there any things about the build functionally that could use improvement?

Tosk

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <12-26-19/1748:43> »
What tradition is she? When I started reading your post my imagination went immediately to "Black Magician" but the character sheet only indicates a Raven mentor spirit, which I guess could be a lot of things. Black Magic seems the most obviously evil, but a charismatic avatar of Nyarlathotep would be an interesting angle by selecting "Elder God" as your tradition.

As far as spells go, it'll often come down to how they are used, but a few ideas;
-"Alleviate Addiction" (Street Grimoire, pg 109) turns YOU into the source of any junkie's next fix, whatever it is they are hooked on. Either recruit disposable followers from the gutter, or put some effort into getting a specific target hooked on something (without telling them what it is they've got in their system, so they can't seek another dealer) while keeping them immune to it's downside... for a while. Then let the withdrawal symptoms hit them unless they give you what they want.
-Euphoria/Opium Den (Street Grimoire, pg 111) a sleazy means of making targets more agreeable to persuasion and negotiation.
-Compel Truth (Street Grimoire, pg 114) Helpful during social encounters when you need to put some pressure on your target without being outright hostile towards them. Although it won't make you any friends, it's at least less provocative than putting your gun to their head.
-Fashion, Makeover: standard tools for a magical Face character.
-Turn to Goo: while not necessarily more effective at causing damage than a combat spell or a gun, there's something extra cruel IMO about reaching into someone's liquefied body and yanking their cyberskull out of their head.

NotSoSerious

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-31-19/1942:20> »
What tradition is she? When I started reading your post my imagination went immediately to "Black Magician" but the character sheet only indicates a Raven mentor spirit, which I guess could be a lot of things.

Black Magic. As you say, it is the most obviously evil.
The tradition is hidden at the bottom of the second page. Easy to miss.

-Compel Truth (Street Grimoire, pg 114) Helpful during social encounters when you need to put some pressure on your target without being outright hostile towards them. Although it won't make you any friends, it's at least less provocative than putting your gun to their head.
Don't people affected by this spell know it's happening? And I figured I could just use Influence and use the phrase "you want to tell the truth."

-Turn to Goo: while not necessarily more effective at causing damage than a combat spell or a gun, there's something extra cruel IMO about reaching into someone's liquefied body and yanking their cyberskull out of their head.
I did consider Petrify for similar reasons, it's an excellent terror spell. But ultimately decided against it due to it being a single-target kill spell, in a world where Influence exists to make people kill themselves.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #3 on: <01-01-20/0340:46> »
Only if they "notice" the spell...

This gets tricky, and requires a wiling/open Gm as "notice" beyond the straight perception test for magic gets subjective....

Would someone, in a social situation notice they are only telling the truth when asked 'innocent' questions? Especially if they didn't notice the spell being cast?
  Some would say yes, some would say no. Some would say it would depend on the question...

Now, some spells people will obviously "notice" they are under the effects of - they don't usually shoot themselves, or their partner!...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Drizzt

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-20/1711:19> »
I'm trying to build a female elf, magician/face, illusionist, seducer as mentor spirit. How would you build this character priorities? Take a look, .pdf attached.
« Last Edit: <02-05-20/1719:03> by Drizzt »