NEWS

6e CRB visual impression

• 4 Replies

PMárk

• Chummer
« on: <02-16-20/1532:51> »
Am I the only one, who feels like the visual design of the CRB is a tad too... I dunno, clean? I don't have problems with the quality of the artworks, actually. I think they're quite good, even better than most of the 5e ones were (though I think the 5e archetype portraits were a LOT better).

Regardless, I somehow don't get the contrast of the hypermodern shiny neon world of the haves and the gritty, ugly reality of the have nots. It feels only cyber and not really punk. Together with the magenta color scheme, the whole book is just a bit too bright and clean for the setting in my eyes. I didn't like some things in the 5e design (like the red text boxes), but I think at least the corebook had a better representation of that feel, overall.

Or, maybe i'm just too oldschool in my visual taste and too Eastern-European. :D
If nothing worked, let's think!

Trigger Lynx

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <02-16-20/1606:35> »
I feel like it's a throwback/homage to the artwork of SR2. I dig it =]

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-20/1625:49> »
I feel like it's a throwback/homage to the artwork of SR2.

Could you please expand on this?

I'd like to reiterate, I'm not saying the bok doesn't look good. I like the cover, for example, a lot more than the 5e one. I like a lot of the pictures. It's just, the color scheme and the overall look of the book is just gives a not-really-gritty impression for me and I miss that. I think the setting and themes warrant both.
« Last Edit: <02-16-20/1628:00> by PMárk »

Trigger Lynx

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <02-16-20/1811:51> »
Sure thing, chummer. I was mainly referring the the colored artwork used for the Archetypes in SR2. They have a 1980's glam rock/sci-fiction aesthetic with bright primary colors, reminiscent of animated classics of the era like "Heavy Metal" and "Akira". While the color palettes used in SR6 don't clash as much, they do remind me of the style used in 2e.

I can't attach photos I took of the art (file size too large) but you can probably Google the Archetype illustrations from SR2 for reference.

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-20/1337:16> »
Sure thing, chummer. I was mainly referring the the colored artwork used for the Archetypes in SR2. They have a 1980's glam rock/sci-fiction aesthetic with bright primary colors, reminiscent of animated classics of the era like "Heavy Metal" and "Akira". While the color palettes used in SR6 don't clash as much, they do remind me of the style used in 2e.

I can't attach photos I took of the art (file size too large) but you can probably Google the Archetype illustrations from SR2 for reference.

Oh, okay, I think I'm getting what you mean. I'm familiar with the 2e corebook, since one of my friends, who is also part of our rpg group has it and I flipped through it a couple times.

You might be on to something about the style being reminiscent of those and '80s synthwave in general (and I hae no problem with that), but still, even the 2e book(s) was primarily b&w and had lots of pictures that showed the gritty side of things too.

I have to add, I have a somewhat similar problem with the 5th edition of Vampire. The books are just too bright, white and "clean" for my tastes and for the themes and feel I associate with the setting.

Now, I would be the first to admit that the SR 5e books' layout and desing were too busy and hard to read. I just think the 6e book just went a bit too much to the other end of the spectrum and that the illustrations themselves aren't really showing the dark/gritty side of the world, which wasn't the case with 5e. 

All in all, as I mentioned in the OP, I'm just missing the contrast of the hypermodern neon-glamour downtown  and the graffity-ladden crumbling firewalls in rundown neighborhoods with alleys choking with waste.

It might be that the style of writing doesn't help either. I don't have big problems with it, it just seems to be a bit too light-hearted and too tongue-in-cheek at places. Don't get me wrong, SR always had that too and I liked it, but sometimes it feels like an intentional caricaturization of the tropes of the setting. I just have the impression that the book doesn't try to take itself and the setting seriously. Since lots of the text was written in a style that indicates an in-world commentator, it's a bit too much breaking of the fourth wall for me, as the writers constantly winking at me with over-the-top quips. Again, SR always had this, it wasn't all doom-and-gloom all the time and I ike that, it's just a bit too much in this case, I think. 

Edit: I guess my overall impression is just that the book, both in means of visual impression and writing style, is a tad too much pink mohawk for my style. Again, I like that style too, but ultimately, I like it when it's the icing on a black trenchcoat-mirrorshades baseline. 
« Last Edit: <02-17-20/1343:21> by PMárk »