NEWS

SR6: Number of actions rules clarification requested

• 17 Replies

Shadowhack

• Newb
  • We live in a dystopian society right now.
« on: <08-27-19/1700:29> »
I think I found my first really major confusion inducing typo. On page 40 it says that the base allotment of actions for characters is one minor and one major action. A character can trade his major action for four minor actions. When I read the example with Yu he takes four minor actions and one major. How is Yu getting four minor if he is only allotted 1? Is this supposed to say characters get 4 minor actions and one major action? If not please explain, if so please change asap. Thanks.
« Last Edit: <08-27-19/1707:23> by Shadowhack »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-27-19/1706:53> »
Everyone gets 1 major and 1 minor action, plus 1 minor action per initiative die you have (see pg 40, Game Timing and Actions). 

The extra minor actions per initiative dice means everyone has at minimum 1 major and 2 minors, since everyone has at least +1D6 initiative.

If you have +3D6 initiative, you end up with 1 major and 4 minor actions.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shadowhack

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-27-19/1715:13> »
Everyone gets 1 major and 1 minor action, plus 1 minor action per initiative die you have (see pg 40, Game Timing and Actions). 

Yes I read that and understand it.

The extra minor actions per initiative dice means everyone has at minimum 1 major and 2 minors, since everyone has at least +1D6 initiative.

I also understand this.

If you have +3D6 initiative, you end up with 1 major and 4 minor actions.

I looked at Yu's dossier from the digital box and he only has +1d6 not +3d6 that is what has me confused. Is their somewhere in the core book that lists different?

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-27-19/1719:36> »
I'm not sure what you're seeing that says Yu has 4 minor actions.

From the Yu dossier, pg 2:
Actions
During a combat round, you will take a player turn. Your basic Action allotment
during your turn is 1 Minor Action and 1 Major Action, plus 1 additional
Minor Action for each of your Initiative Dice (in your case, 1). The Sample Actions table,
on the last page of this dossier, describe which actions you might take and whether
they fall into the Minor and Major categories. Meanwhile, on the second to last page,
the Sample Yu Actions table contains actions tailored to your character, with Dice
Pools pre-calculated.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Shadowhack

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-27-19/1727:49> »
Sorry if I confused you. I meant in the core rules just released yesterday. On page forty in the actions example it says Yu had 4 minor and 1 major action. According to the dossier he only should have one major and two minor because of his +1d6 not the four he gets in the example.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-27-19/1731:35> »
Sorry if I confused you. I meant in the core rules just released yesterday. On page forty in the actions example it says Yu had 4 minor and 1 major action. According to the dossier he only should have one major and two minor because of his +1d6 not the four he gets in the example.

Ah.  The example on pg 40 is referring to Yu's stats in the CRB, on pg 83.  He's clearly gotten more augmentations since the events of the Beginner's Box :)

Shadowhack

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-27-19/1749:52> »
 ;D Fair enough. I got too anxious. I haven't gotten that far in the book yet. Its just when I see something confusing I jump on it. Thanks for clarifying. That said it might be a good idea to reference Yu's stats on page 83 in the example.
« Last Edit: <08-27-19/1758:42> by Shadowhack »

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <08-27-19/1904:40> »
So, correct me if I am wrong, but max initiative die is 5d6, which means one could have 1 Major 6 Minor? Which means 2 Major and 2 Minor?

Shadowhack

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-27-19/1922:18> »
So, correct me if I am wrong, but max initiative die is 5d6, which means one could have 1 Major 6 Minor? Which means 2 Major and 2 Minor?

Yes Markelphoenix, that is correct. That is the maximum number of actions one could have based on the rules as written. I have not read the whole book but going with what I have already read 2 major and 2 minor is the max.
« Last Edit: <08-27-19/1924:34> by Shadowhack »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <08-28-19/0040:16> »
There might be other means in the future but note the rules state you are capped to 5 Minors at the start of your turn, which I suspect should be 6.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-28-19/0836:26> »
There might be other means in the future but note the rules state you are capped to 5 Minors at the start of your turn, which I suspect should be 6.

Can this be pointed to Errata team for confirmation?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <08-28-19/0857:03> »

Can this be pointed to Errata team for confirmation?

it's already on the list
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <08-28-19/1601:23> »
Even if it is possible to get 1 major and 6 minor and being limited to 1 major and 5 minor on the start of your turn could also mean that you get to take (at least) 1 minor Anytime action before your turn and still end up with 1 major and 5 minor at the start of your turn.

Also not very often someone end up with 5D6 initiative dice so you will probably not have to worry too much about it anyway,

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <08-28-19/1603:48> »
It's mostly relevant for performing Anticipation twice while dualwielding Praetors. 8)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

JesseBFox

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <08-29-19/1202:22> »
I think I found my first really major confusion inducing typo. On page 40 it says that the base allotment of actions for characters is one minor and one major action. A character can trade his major action for four minor actions. When I read the example with Yu he takes four minor actions and one major. How is Yu getting four minor if he is only allotted 1? Is this supposed to say characters get 4 minor actions and one major action? If not please explain, if so please change asap. Thanks.

I think people missed this little mistake. You cannot trade 1 major for 4 minor. You can trade 4 minor for 1 major. You can, however, use a major action to perform any minor actions.

In otherwords, if someone had the base +1d6 initiative they would be alloted 1 major and 2 minor. That would mean they could either do:

1 Major & 2 minor actions
or
3 minor actions.

An example of someone having +4d6 initiative. That gives them 1 major and 5 minor actions. Their options are:

1 major & 5 minor actions
2 major & 1 minor action
or
6 minor actions

Register