NEWS

[6e] Any rulings made on Adept Initiation

• 6 Replies

markelphoenix

• Omae
« on: <08-31-19/1325:08> »
Given the requirement for the highest magic skill to be used, what would that be for a Pure PhysAdept without Assensing?

sigfriedmcwild

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <08-31-19/1411:06> »
Probably the same answer as in 5e (there the test was Arcana+Int, so aspected magicians could also get in trouble)

Since it's an extended test, if your magic is half decent you shouldn't run into problems for a while even on a pure magic roll, but I'm curious what the answer was too.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-31-19/1419:39> »
My reading on "magic skill" is, in the case of adepts, "skills you use with your magic".  So: Influence or Con for social adepts, Close Combat or Athletics with fighty adepts, etc.

It certainly feels right that a Magic Bruce Lee should be able to Initiate by practicing martial arts in the Dojo.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-31-19/1551:56> »
Probably the same answer as in 5e (there the test was Arcana+Int, so aspected magicians could also get in trouble)

Since it's an extended test, if your magic is half decent you shouldn't run into problems for a while even on a pure magic roll, but I'm curious what the answer was too.
The difference between 5th and 6th edition is that in 5th edition;
Arcana was a skill that all awakened were allowed to take (and it was also a good idea for everyone to pick if you ever planned on initiating)

...while in 6th edition;
A physical adept is not allowed to have sorcery, enchanting nor conjuring. That pretty much only leave Astral. But unless the physical adept have access to astral perception (which far from all will have since they now leave chargen with a very limited amount of power points) even the Astral skill is out of reach for them.

For now I lean towards what SSDR said;
Just pick whatever your highest skill is and argue that you use your magic through that skill (game mechanic wise this mean physical adepts will probably end up with a dice pool of 6 + Magic, just like regular full magicians and mystic adepts).

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <08-31-19/1556:58> »
On the other hand, you could say someone with no access to the Astral is unable to initiate, quite simply because they have no access to the higher mysteries.  How are they supposed to expand their horizons and learn the secrets of magic if they can't even see it?  Considering what initiation actually is, makes perfect sense to me.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <08-31-19/1611:47> »
They're Adepts. Their powers are inside them. They don't have to see it when they can feel it.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <08-31-19/1749:36> »
They're Adepts. Their powers are inside them. They don't have to see it when they can feel it.
Yeah...sooo, I wonder how Missions will treat this.