NEWS

[SR6] Forgery

• 10 Replies

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« on: <08-05-19/0305:01> »
Engineering (because build and repair) or Con (as was briefly mentioned in a live stream)?

Or divided into Electronics (for electronic stuff like keycards and credsticks), Engineering (because build and repair) and Con (for con-artistry-things, like ID badges, and also because since disguise is now Con)?

What about paintings, sculptures and jewelry... Where does the Artisan skill belong now-days?
« Last Edit: <08-05-19/0314:36> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-05-19/0323:03> »
You're not making the forgery do something, it just is a forgery, so I'd argue against Engineering. That's explicitly for mechanical stuff, so unless you're building a maglock key, not Engineering. But I'd use the Build/Repair table for how tough it is to put together with Con, and maybe require (teamwork with) Electronics for better-quality stuff with electronics involved.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <08-05-19/1341:58> »
Artisan stuff seems to be con per no future. Though I’d guess I’d you took a specialty in a different skill your GM May let that skill work for it. Honestly I can’t think of anything that is more of a stretch than con for any physical art. I can tie painting to summoning as much as con seems linked.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <08-05-19/1349:01> »
In 5e, all Michelin Star chefs used to be a Michelangelo grade painters as well.

Now, those same Michelin Star chefs are Michelangelo grade painters, Prince level song writers, Agatha Christie reincarnated, and a Bernie Madoff fast talker...

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-05-19/1458:47> »
In 5e, all Michelin Star chefs used to be a Michelangelo grade painters as well.

Now, those same Michelin Star chefs are Michelangelo grade painters, Prince level song writers, Agatha Christie reincarnated, and a Bernie Madoff fast talker...

One thing they did in no future was change the threshold of the test of you had the specialty. So normally for composing music it was threshold 6, with the composing specialty it was 4. For me that kind of works.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-05-19/1511:59> »
Disguise seem to be in both Con and Stealth (maybe Con Disguise is used when impersonating and pretending to be someone else while Stealth Disguise might be used more for blending in or hiding -- Or maybe its OK to have the same specialization in two different skills if you can make a good argument for it).

Electronics seem to be used together with a key-card copier. Could see Electronics being used for creating a fake credstick while Con would be used for creating a fake ID badge. And while Hardware is a specialization of Electronics, Engineering is used for repairing Matrix Damage (which mean a decker probably also need Engineering or depend on an Engineer/Rigger/Contact to fix his deck).

Artisan doesn't really fit anywhere.... But I guess Con could fit (painting and creating fake paintings, sculpture and creating fake sculptures, jewelry and creating fake jewelry).

Biotech seem to be used to preserve DNA (which mean Chemistry is included in Biotech which make sense, was looking for that too - it was not mentioned as far as I could see).

There is a series called White Collar (its on Netflix). Plot is a con artist going white hat and hook up with an FBI agent to solve crime. Series is not really that great, but anyway... the con artist is really good at face-things (seducing, smooth talking, fast talking, lying, negotiation, persuasion) as well as forgery-things (both spotting and making forged paintings, statues, jewelry etc).

I guess he is basically the new SR6 Con skill, personalized :-)
« Last Edit: <08-05-19/1522:13> by Xenon »

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <08-05-19/1530:35> »

Best not to look to closely at 6e or it starts to fall apart real quick like.

They tossed out the relationship to reality so common sense no longer works to determine pretty much anything.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-05-19/1838:01> »
For those who have a issue with this which I kind of do. I think a decent fix is to require a knowledge skill to get skills to cover off beat things. Knowledge skill chef:con means you can use your con skill for cooking.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <08-05-19/1841:16> »
Ork Cuisine is a sample Knowledge Skill, so French Cuisine would be a valid case as well. Easy to rule that indeed, you can't cook normally with Con, but having X Cuisine as Knowledge Skill lets you use Con to cook X Cuisine.

Moonshine Fox

• Omae
  • Proudly serving our dragon overlords
« Reply #9 on: <08-05-19/1852:44> »
Ork Cuisine is a sample Knowledge Skill, so French Cuisine would be a valid case as well. Easy to rule that indeed, you can't cook normally with Con, but having X Cuisine as Knowledge Skill lets you use Con to cook X Cuisine.

Or you can cook basic things, but if you want to get into more complex recipes....

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <08-06-19/0205:53> »
"I can spot normally" vs "I can spot specific gangs", "I can cook normally" vs "I can cook French Cuisine"... You're absolutely right those perfectly match.

Register