NEWS

Explosives and Powerbolt

• 9 Replies

Morg

« on: <02-17-11/1909:47> »
An difference of opinion has cropped up in my gaming group about weather Powerbolt/Powerball/Shatter would detonate an explosive device if you overcame its OR.

They picture the effect as a magical explosion, so my PCs think that in all cases it should set off explosives.

I Think it is closer to pulling apart an object, so it would detonate explosives only if it would do so when container is rapidly damaged
Oxygen(Pressurized)Tank /Propane(Pressurized) Tank = yes
Thermite/C-4/Diesel(Uncompressed) = no

throw in your .02¥ please

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-11/2121:47> »
An difference of opinion has cropped up in my gaming group about weather Powerbolt/Powerball/Shatter would detonate an explosive device if you overcame its OR.
Definately not.

Explosives even today (let alone 60 years in the future) are incredibly stable, and require a specific catalyst to explode.

Unless they're using an Elemental or Lightning based attack, I wouldn't even give them the chance for a combat spell to detonate explosives.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-11/2148:12> »
Probably the only cases where this would cause an explosion is with nitroglycerin or some sort of set explosive with fragile anti-tamper devices.  I could see electrical or fire attacks setting off certain types of explosives on a case by case basis.  Otherwise, it seems that Powerbolt and its incarnations are simply a physical kinetic force, a telekinetic effect, which *does something* to the target to damage it.  Vibration, stress, pressure, who knows.  But as the rules stand and with the all too brief spell descriptions it doesn't seem like it should unduly affect explosives.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-11/2210:19> »
Probably the only cases where this would cause an explosion is with nitroglycerin or some sort of set explosive with fragile anti-tamper devices. 
I'm with you on homemade explosives potentially being affected (especially the Potassium Chlorates that ignite by percussion) however these would also be affected by banging them on a table, or falling onto the floor, or, depending on the stage of construction, sneezing. Spells that need to overcome OR are unnecessary..just levitate and drop them 3'. *boom*

But commercial explosives? Not a chance (even with Fire and Electrical attacks, there's only a slim margin of possibility for accidental explosion).

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

thalandar

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-11/2228:25> »
Too bad the guys from Mythbusters can't solve this for us!

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #5 on: <02-17-11/2234:34> »
Yeah, I think Jamie's an Adept, not a Mage.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-11/2235:50> »
Too bad the guys from Mythbusters can't solve this for us!
They've done some fun things with explosives, that's for sure.

Phreak Commandment V:

Billy_Club

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-18-11/0439:43> »
Probably the only cases where this would cause an explosion is with nitroglycerin or some sort of set explosive with fragile anti-tamper devices. 
I'm with you on homemade explosives potentially being affected (especially the Potassium Chlorates that ignite by percussion) however these would also be affected by banging them on a table, or falling onto the floor, or, depending on the stage of construction, sneezing. Spells that need to overcome OR are unnecessary..just levitate and drop them 3'. *boom*

But commercial explosives? Not a chance (even with Fire and Electrical attacks, there's only a slim margin of possibility for accidental explosion).

However I did mention fragile anti-tamper devices that, if attached to any explosive, could go off with an impact.  Which was my point, other than to point out an explosive that would go off with any impact (in my example Nitro).  I wouldn't even bother with object resistance in that case.  If you get any hits, kablam.  That's how touchy most primary explosives are.

Morg

« Reply #8 on: <02-18-11/0446:14> »
Probably the only cases where this would cause an explosion is with nitroglycerin or some sort of set explosive with fragile anti-tamper devices.  I could see electrical or fire attacks setting off certain types of explosives on a case by case basis.  Otherwise, it seems that Powerbolt and its incarnations are simply a physical kinetic force, a telekinetic effect, which *does something* to the target to damage it.  Vibration, stress, pressure, who knows.  But as the rules stand and with the all too brief spell descriptions it doesn't seem like it should unduly affect explosives.

Telekinetic(psychokinetic) attacks are already listed Punch/Clout/Blast so I don't think Shatter/Powerbolt/Powerball is telekinetic it reads more like it is breaking down the Intramolecular ("strong") and Intermolecular ("weak") bonds in compounds causing them to just fall apart.

Rockopolis

• Omae
  • Severe Shadowrun Addiction
« Reply #9 on: <02-18-11/0738:49> »
That just reinforces my belief that Dr Manhattan was a high force Wild Spirit.
Shadowrunners are reminded that the Fashion Police are a real organization and will they will be deployed at the first sign of defiance.
Mossy the Mentat Looking for a game.