NEWS

Help with ganger level run

• 6 Replies

MikeBoreal

• Newb
« on: <02-22-19/0019:10> »
Hey guys, new to the forums. I wanted to ask for some feedback and ideas for a up coming run.

I’m trying to plan an alternate run for my group this weekend that will involve a smaller team (a couple guys can’t make it). I have a few ideas but I wouldn’t mind some feedback. My group is beginners/ganger level. I only run anarchy.

The main premise of the run I have so far is that the players will be hired to trail a car in the puyallup barrens that has a brief case that needs to be stolen and brought back to the Johnson. The twist will be a enemy team that will surprise the players and be after the briefcase as well.

Ideally if the subplot picks up I’d like the players to have a choice between the different factions and how they relate to Corp investment in the area, including neo anarchist Opti-Robin Hood options.

So far much of the campaign has focused on the mafia and yakuza fighting each other in puyallup in addition to the other factions fighting in between.

What I would like is a over arching subplot of the city of Puyallup trying to get investment into the area for jobs, etc (kind of like the Amazon HQ Deal IRL).

I was thinking Mitsuhama would be the Corp most likely to be building facilities in the area (this is mentioned in the first edition Seattle book). Mitsuhama has a tight relationship with the yakuza, which plays in nice with the game so far.

Anyway, any feedback would be nice.

I’m not sure what to put in the briefcase. I might just leave it as a mcguffin.

I’m also trying to think of a way to start leaving breadcrumbs for the Corp investment angle.

Thanks!

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <02-22-19/0104:11> »

My dirty undies, Dude. Laundry, the whites. The ringer can not look empty!
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <02-23-19/1949:21> »
Mint condition PAPER comic versions of Neal the Ork Barbarian, first version
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-23-19/1953:41> »
If you're truly classy, it'll just be a lightbulb.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-25-19/2133:57> »
First, welcome to the forums.

Second, I'm probably too late because it sounds like the run was supposed to be for this last weekend.

Third, oh well. Let's talk a bit anyway.

I think your overall plot is solid. Having options about which faction to align with is fun and provides some agency to the players.

I ran a 3-year ganger campaign in the Puyallup Barrens, so a lot of what you're talking about sounds familiar. For the first half of the campaign, the most insidious threat - the one that the PCs (gangers) couldn't really defeat - was gentrification.

The Mafia and Yakuza are good elements to include, but remember that Puyallup is the lowest-of-the-low. The Kenran-kai are all but outcasts, and the Gianellis are the remains of the losing faction after some Mob assassinations / power struggles. While these are the runts of the litter, that actually makes them more interesting. Because they have so little to work with, thy both have this "beggars can't be choosers" mentality that makes them more open and more progressive that their more conservative counterparts. They'll recruit metahumans, they'll work with magicians, they'll go with whatever works. But to me that also means that they're probably not doing backroom deals with Mitsuhama to build facilities in the area. The Kenran-kai just aren't high enough on the ladder to negotiate something like that.

If you want to pursue the corp investment angle, then the first step is to figure out what part of Puyallup you're dealing with. You have Loveland (red-light district) in the west, Carbonado (mining) in the east, Tarislar (elven district) in the south, Hell's Kitchen (lavaflows) in the southeast, etc.

Loveland is a fun backdrop but it doesn't make as much sense to me for corporate investment, so I'd leave that alone.

Carbonado has mining, so you could basically take your pick of which megacorp wants to extract resources there. Mitsuhama would work, if you wanted to keep that element. You could also have them opposed by TerraFirst! eco-terrorists. Another interesting option would be Universal Omnitech, which is headquartered in Salish-Shidhe. Conveniently, that's just a stone's throw from Carbonado. (UO is headquartered in Vancouver, but Carbonado is on the Seattle-Salish border.) Federated Boeing might be another local player that's interested; they'd probably be familiar with the area from their extensive holdings in Auburn just to the north.

If you're down near Hell's Kitchen, you could have corps pursuing geothermal power plants. Seattle 2072 mentions that some of these were approved before the Crash of 2029 wiped them out. Maybe some corps want to dust off some of those plans and try again. I think Gaeatronics would make an interesting player here, since they already supply much of the power to Seattle. Maybe they're trying to consolidate that control, or maybe one of their competitors (Shiawase Atomics and Aztechnology would probably be the best fit) is trying to undermine Gaeatronics' control of the Seattle power grid.

Alternatively, you could do something agricultural. Maybe someone is making a move on Petrowski Farms, or is moving in next door and might not be a good neighbor. Natural Vat (subsidiary of Aztechnology) would be a good fit. NatVat took a big hit from Sirrurg in August 2074 when he wiped out the NatVat facility on Borinquen (formerly Puerto Rico). Maybe they're looking to expand into Seattle to diversify their holdings geographically. This could involve a lot of local investment, but maybe it involves kicking a lot of locals off their land too.

Don't worry about the briefcase. Leave it as a McGuffin. If the players open it, have it be something inscrutable. It's a message that means something to someone, but not the players.

Anyway, that's what I can come up with off the top of my head. If the session already went down, let us know how it all played out. I'll be interested to hear.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <02-25-19/2157:34> »
If you do want the contents of the briefcase to be Something, but not necessarily something the PC’s can exploit, you could get some mileage of out the fact that it’s a physical object that’s being transported in “meat space,” instead of the Matrix.

To me, when I think non-Matrix object, not useful to the PCs, and Puyallup, I think of only one thing: Pre-Crash real estate titles. This gives you a MacGuffin that three factions could be fighting over: MegaCorp X needs the titles to disappear so they can build their Very Big Thing on the land; MegaCorp Y doesn’t care about building something there, but they want to stop MegaCorp X from doing so (because it would undercut their Very Big Thing across town); and then there’s the kindly Sister Mary Margaret MacGuffin and Father Miles O’Guilttrip who run the Saint Gary of Lake Geneva Home for Orphaned Ragamuffins which sits on top of the very spot in dispute. The titles in the briefcase are the only proof that the land belongs to the orphanage.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-26-19/0157:23> »
I personally like lots of shades of grey, with few clear-cut choices.

It's not just the karma vs. nuyen trade-off, but also how the players feel about their decision.

Maybe there is an orphanage, but maybe Sister Mary is a real hardass with little patience anyone, including hooders. Maybe the conditions at the orphanage are wretched, as one might expect in Puyallup, but to the point where you wonder whether the orphanage is doing more harm than good. Maybe the corpers are genuinely nice people who honestly believe that their development is in the community's best interests. In fact, maybe the corporate investment is in the community's best interest, but maybe the community doesn't see it that way, and will resent the PCs for their involvement. No good deed goes unpunished, and all that.

There are lots of ways to make it dystopian and Sixth World-y. You just have to know what your players like, and then rake them over the coals for it.