• 23 Replies

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #15 on: <02-07-11/1136:47> »
What exatilly IS slaving?
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-07-11/1148:47> »
Page 221 SR4A...

"Security cameras, stoves, ear buds, medkits, firearms, children’s toys, doorbells, showers, biomonitors, cyberware, make-up kits, vehicles, coffee makers, store displays, electronic paper, drones, light switches, and many, many other items are all peripheral devices in Shadowrun"

So yes, he was right, a vehicle is a peripheral device. So, no, he would not need admin access. However, the vehicle could be slaved to his PAN and his Commlink. That would mean you would have to break into his Commlink to control the drone.

That directly contradicts the fiction at the beginning of wireless world, "Game, Set, Match", where the difference between a user account and an admin account on a drone is an integral part of the plot. Slamm-0! only got a user account, and Netcat got an Admin, which let her override his commands.

This section of unwired also disagrees, page 59.

"The rest of the PAN typically consists of other devices with computerized components—which in the 2070s is almost everything: weapons, clothing, drones, vehicles, other electronics, RFID tags, credsticks, cybernetic implants, and other gear. Most of these items are peripheral nodes (p. 48) with limited capabilities, with the exception of items like drones and vehicles."

theKernel

• Omae
  • I believe you like it served cold -Matador
« Reply #17 on: <02-07-11/1151:21> »
That was a good story...just saying.
HACK THE PLANET
Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
Always start and end character creation by asking yourself "why is this character not an ork." If you don't have a good answer you should be an ork. -UmaroVI
"Stay at least one lie ahead of everyone else"-Vitriol
SR4+++hbB?!Wdk++o+++++M+P-

Ultra Violet

• Omae
  • Child of the Matrix
« Reply #18 on: <02-07-11/1437:42> »
What exatilly IS slaving?
Slaving is one kind of system structure you can find details in the Unwired (p. 55).

Most of these items are peripheral nodes (p. 48) with limited capabilities, with the exception of items like drones and vehicles."
Ah I see, but IMO it only refers to its capabilities, drones and vehicles can do more than the standard peripheral node. The point is another...
Quote from: SR4A, p. 236
Spoofing
When hacking is too slow, or you only need to send a single command to a device, then spoofing is your weapon of choice. Spoofing a node or device sends a forged command, ostensibly from an authorized user, to the target.
The target of a spoof attempt must either have a Pilot rating or be a peripheral device. Most often you will spoof a drone or an agent, but you may also use spoof to do things like unlock doors, get free cab rides, and make the McHugh’s autocooker prepare your soyburger exactly the way you like it.
So it is regardless of whether it is a peripheral node or not, it has a Pilot so it's a target.

Yours faithfully,
UV

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <02-07-11/1516:47> »
Most of these items are peripheral nodes (p. 48) with limited capabilities, with the exception of items like drones and vehicles."
Ah I see, but IMO it only refers to its capabilities, drones and vehicles can do more than the standard peripheral node.

If that was the intent of the sentence, it was poorly constructed. The internal thought within commas is like a brief divergence before going back to the previous idea, and can be removed and still maintain meaning. In which case, the sentence would be, "Most of these items are peripheral nodes with the exception of items like drones and vehicles."

A better way to construct the sentence to be read that way would be, "Most of these items are peripheral nodes and have limited capabilities, with the exception of items like drones and vehicles."
« Last Edit: <02-07-11/1518:40> by Ryo »

Chaemera

• Omae
  • I may be a mouse, but I have a chainsaw.
« Reply #20 on: <02-07-11/1812:37> »
Also note, Peripheral Device does not inherently equal Peripheral Node.

Peripheral Devices, discussed in SR4A, pg 221, a peripheral device is a device that is not capable of functioning as a commlink, but has Matrix access. All Peripheral Nodes are; therefore, Peripheral Devices. The defining features of a Peripheral Node that "don't require the computing, processing, and networking capabilities of standard nodes". Anyone want to claim that running a Pilot program falls under that definition?

Additionally, Peripheral Nodes can only handle a single persona, and are not intended for multiple users. A vehicle/drone clearly doesn't fit this definition, either, as one would like to think the police could access a legally owned vehicle while it is being driven (meaning two users), a drone should be able to receive subscriptions from a security node AND the on-site rigger (multiple users), and a million other scenarios that clearly do not meet the Peripheral Node definition.

Therefore, not all Peripheral Nodes are Peripheral Devices.

Since nothing in the rules ties PN's to PD's, or vice versa, other than the word "peripheral", you are free to agree or disagree with me all day long. But, if we were to consider all non-commlinks/nexi to be PN's, I would simply disgard the PN rules in their entirety as being a whole-sale terrible idea. Gaining unlimited control over a main battle tank by simply beating its firewall (5, by the way)? No, not in my games.
SR20A Limited Edition # 124
Obsidian Portal Profile: http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/chaemera

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <02-07-11/1840:11> »
Oh wow, I totally failed to see that one was Peripheral Device and the other Node. My brain saw the word 'Peripheral' and just stopped reading at that point, apparently. Nice catch, Chaemera.

Xicidis

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <02-07-11/1901:49> »
I wasn't meaning to sound like a jerk if that's how i came off. I was reading SR4A and I saw that and it made me think of this. I wish there was a more clear answer.

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #23 on: <02-08-11/0254:22> »
I wish there was a more clear answer.

Unfortunately no one can be told what the Matrix is...

Quick things.  Suppression/Mute.  The alert was triggered, therefore data still exists somewhere to be manipulated.  Its effects are just delayed for game reasons. 

Silent alerts, (as described on page 56 of Unwired in the section on designing Metaphors for Node Sculpting,) are a feature of the node.  Not obvious, but existent.  I would rule that a user level account could notice a silent alarm with a Computer + Analyze test opposed by System + Firewall.

Slaving your car?  Really?  I'm sure that goes over just swimmingly with the folks at Grid Guide...