Shadowrun Play > Rules and such

Jamming Signals Question

<< < (3/3)

Stainless Steel Devil Rat:
And I realized I actually have another Jamming/Noise question and totally forgot to bring it up... here's as good a place as any rather than starting a new thread methinks.

The Suppress Noise matrix action detailed in R5 on pg 30.  It essentially allows you to use your comms device to do some ECCM to counter Noise.

But it uses the language "RCC" rather than commlink.  So can you perform Suppress Noise with a commlink or cyberdeck, or must it be a RCC and only a RCC?

Pro: That's what it says, chummer.  Plus, per the special rules for RCCs, they're distinct from commlinks and cyberdecks in being able to give themselves an inherent NR rating.  This action is just cranking that unique RCC ability up a notch.

Con: The action is already detailed in the Core SR5 book on page 268, where in THAT context it sure sounds like RCC only.  However at the start of the section in R5 it explicitly says "All of the following are Matrix actions.  Yes, you can use them if you're not a Rigger."

Pro rebuttal: Yes, you don't have to be a Rigger to use the Suppress Noise action as described in R5 on pg 30, but you don't have to be a Rigger to be using a RCC.

I'm honestly torn.  Technically, the "RCC only" argument holds more water.  But thematically and game balance wise, I prefer the "you can Suppress Noise with Commlinks and Cyberdecks, too" interpretation.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version