NEWS

Minimum 1s for glitching?

• 11 Replies

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« on: <05-18-17/1341:02> »
Is it possible to reduce the amount of 1s needed for a glitch to 0, or is it always at least 1?
F.Ex. Gremlins.
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <05-18-17/1612:36> »
Its always at least 1. Even with Gremlins.

Otherwise, you could ALWAYS glitch.

"Lets see, you rolled 6 dice and got a 5, 4, 5, 3, 2, 6... you Glitched!!"
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-18-17/1704:00> »
Well, yeah.
Was just wondering while looking at "Pacifist Adept".
Still, just 1 1 is.... doable on most dice pools.  ;D

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <05-18-17/1709:59> »
To get a glitch with a single 1, even with four levels of Gremlins, you're talking about having a dice pool of no more than 10. While that is certainly in the ballpark for secondary or tertiary skills, someone with only 10 dice in their primary abilities is either already taking heavy penalties from something, or has deliberately spread themselves too thin.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-18-17/1713:37> »
Protip: Pacifism is a quality for NPCs. Inflicting horrible violence on people who do/don't deserve it is the bread and butter of shadowrunning.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <05-18-17/1730:30> »
Nah, that's the bread and butter of gangers and mercenaries. Runners should be more flexible.
I believe in the entertainment value of making people shoot themselves.  8)

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-18-17/1739:07> »
Pretty sure that's a subset of "inflicting horrible violence" and in direct violation of pacifism. Not to mention that it's a moot point, since there's always one violent son of a bitch in every runner team; I've never heard of pacifists hanging out with guys who shoot up entire nightclubs.

A Guide to Gridguide

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-18-17/1801:50> »
Pretty sure that's a subset of "inflicting horrible violence" and in direct violation of pacifism.
If that were the case, Pacifist Adept would be severely conflicted.

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <05-18-17/1807:56> »
Well, that's a question that has to be asked. Do you incur Karma loss if your mere presence causes people to shoot themselves in the foot with high caliber weaponry?  ;)

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <05-18-17/2053:47> »
Kind of what I'm getting at here.
Well, that's a question that has to be asked. Do you incur Karma loss if your mere presence causes people to shoot themselves in the foot with high caliber weaponry?  ;)
If you deliberately use your mere presence to cause certain people to shoot themselves in the foot, can you really call yourself a pacifist? Can you really claim that you don't believe violence can be justified when you deliberately cause others to inflict violence upon themselves? I think not; pacifism and all those other bullshit codes of honor are about the spirit of the law and not the letter.

A Guide to Gridguide

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <05-18-17/2132:59> »
That's Code Of Honour. Pacifist (15 karma) will turn the character into a vegetable in short order, if they believe they caused someone's death.

Kind of what I'm getting at here.
Yeah. Which is slowly getting towards what I'm getting at. This is movie pacifism, where trying to attack someone that won't fight you gets instant karma in the form of improbable accidents.

If you deliberately use your mere presence to cause certain people to shoot themselves in the foot, can you really call yourself a pacifist?
Yes. Why? Because these are leading questions that presume malicious intent on the part of the pacifist.

Can you really claim that you don't believe violence can be justified when you deliberately cause others to inflict violence upon themselves?
You are not directly causing someone to die in an accident, nor shoot themselves. You are mystically making it harder to confront your pacifism with violence - and the effect of an aggressor ignoring that is reduced limit and increased glitch chance.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <05-18-17/2238:56> »
Its always at least 1. Even with Gremlins.

Otherwise, you could ALWAYS glitch.

"Lets see, you rolled 6 dice and got a 5, 4, 5, 3, 2, 6... you Glitched!!"

Agree to disagree. I don't see any reason why someone with high level gremlins couldn't always glitch.

The rules do interact a little strangely. Normally if "more than half" your dice are 1's it is a glitch. Gremlins reduces the amount needed, so technically it makes the formula kind of strange. Default formula would be: (Dice Pool) / 2 (round down) +1 [this makes it effectively round up for odd dice pools (more than half of 5 is 3), and over half for even (more than half for 6 is 4). Gremlins would then reduce that number. If you roll that many 1's or more, you glitch.

The other side though, would be going off of how many 1's you roll and comparing them to that number. Example: I rolled two 1's, is that enough to glitch? With this method, you might use the ruling that rolling zero 1's means you can't glitch.

The rules are mute on the specifics of the concept, though.