NEWS

Additional Attribute only tests?

• 8 Replies

ClaytonCross

• Chummer
  • A rigger at heart, a confused mess in practice.
« on: <01-25-17/2158:40> »
So I am aware of 4 attribute only test from the core book:
Composure (Cha + Will)
Judge Intentions (Cha + Int)
Lift/Carry (Bod + Str)
Memory (Log + Will)

I noticed during an Actual play that they were calling out something else and was wondering if there are more standard attribute only rolls that I am unaware of or if they were just house ruling some roles for simplicity or to fill a whole some where. I have the core rule book with me but nothing else. (and I realize the standard defense roll is Rea + Int)

Thanks for any notes.
I write long and repetitive trying to be clear, I am bad at examples, so people commonly skim my posts pull out the idea they think I mean or want to argue against or focus on my bad example instead of my actual point. I apologies for the confusion my failure to be clear and concise creates.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-25-17/2251:59> »
Well, you could also include Surprise (Rea + Int), which is pretty similar to Defense, but there are more things that alter it. Other than that, I don't think there are any other "official" attribute-only tests.

I don't know what they were doing in the Actual play, but I frequently call for a variety of rolls based on the situation. Things like general reasoning I might use Log + Int or if I think that something should be a test of a single attribute I might call for just that.

ClaytonCross

• Chummer
  • A rigger at heart, a confused mess in practice.
« Reply #2 on: <01-25-17/2316:53> »
Thanks for the reply. I will add the surprise test separately due to the separate modifiers. I am a little surprised there are not any more. Seems like it would simplify some parts of the game.    As I say that I due realize simplification was never a shadow run 5e  standard.
I write long and repetitive trying to be clear, I am bad at examples, so people commonly skim my posts pull out the idea they think I mean or want to argue against or focus on my bad example instead of my actual point. I apologies for the confusion my failure to be clear and concise creates.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-25-17/2341:28> »
To be fair, most of the concepts aren't new in 5e. Most of it is refinements from 4th edition, with the concept of Limits added in.

And don't forget that the GM is always able to make judgments as they go. Like I said, I frequently call for a character to make a "luck" test by rolling pure Edge Rating. Or an Intuition test to see if their character can put 2-and-2 together. Usually, those types of situations are when the players are having trouble and I need to give them a push by saying that they realize x-y-z...

If you can think of other Attribute-Only applications that seem appropriate, similar to the ones that are already presented in the Rules, I'm definitely interested in hearing some other options. Off-hand, I can't think of any other good examples of a two attribute test that could represent a specific type of action.

Adamo1618

« Reply #4 on: <01-26-17/0510:49> »
Suppressive fire (Rea + Edge)

Once, our decker asked to roll Logic + Intuition to figure out why someone put a particular magnet on their fridge. He succeeded and got the answer "Illuminati".

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-26-17/0515:34> »
Practically all defense tests are two attributes. So are resistance tests if you count armor as an attribute. Also healing tests.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Xexanoth

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <01-26-17/1412:12> »
Practically all defense tests are two attributes. So are resistance tests if you count armor as an attribute. Also healing tests.

Same applies to Matrix Defense/Resistance tests if you count the deck/commlink/items attributes.

and of course Drain and Fading.

Slipperychicken

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-26-17/1825:52> »
Toxin resistance is (Body + Willpower)

Adamo1618

« Reply #8 on: <01-27-17/0835:14> »
Addiction tests