NEWS

Dragon Kin

• 9 Replies

JBRocky

• Newb
« on: <12-30-16/2105:51> »
One of my players wants to play a Dragon Kin and I want to see if there are any rules.  While I have no doubt I can make up something good rules from any edition would be a good baseline.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-30-16/2132:06> »
Gonna need more information, what do you mean by Dragon Kin?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <12-30-16/2142:44> »
There are Drakes in the howling shadows book.
That's as close to an official "dragon-kin" for SR as you're going to get.

Next to that, there are the changling options from Run Faster...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

JBRocky

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <12-30-16/2144:19> »
Gonna need more information, what do you mean by Dragon Kin?

Dragon-Kin are the offspring between a Dragon and a Metahuman.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <12-30-16/2152:32> »
Then its the drakes from howling shadows.

They are the magical offspring of sorts.... a slave race created by secret magical rutuals in the 4th age to serve as the dragon's agents among the meta-races.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Dwagonzhan

• Chummer
  • Drake on the run.
« Reply #5 on: <12-30-16/2224:56> »
Yeah, going by official sources, like Reaver says, your closest choice are Drakes.
And uh...Drakes are very badly designed in SR5 (IMO; which I have made no small secret in a prior topic); as in, when you actually sit down and consider what they are and how they work, they're a terrible option outside of EXTREMELY niche applications by RAW SR5 rules.

They also require a very good GM and cool headed player group to run, due to the hate-magnet they tend to become.
Both in lore... ("Wanted by: THE MOST POWERFUL ENTITIES ON THE PLANET, DEFACTO")
...and at the table  ("Oh you're playing something special/difficult. This game isn't all about you, you know!")

If you want to play an actual dragon kin ala Earthdawn. You could go about it one of a couple ways.
-Extremely high power game. Basically puts you into circle of Major Powers in the Sixth World. Good luck designing those scenarios. Lots of creative space, but far too easy to turn into "Mary-Sue vs The World".

-Be a new Immortal sired in the Sixth World via some Great Dragon broke their biggest Taboo (example: maybe you're the last son/daughter of the late Alamais. Who sired many of the original Dragon-kin)
You start more or less as a regular runner, but weird shit happens around you as powers greater than you play games with your life or use you to get at other shakers of the Sixth World.

In essence, this would be closer to how Jane "Frosty" Foster started.
She wasn't some superhuman prodigy; just a regular runner who happened to be descended from an Immortal Elf. It later complicated her life, but she isn't profoundly screwed up or some "chosen one". (among the "old runners" on Jackpoint, she's one of the most level-headed folks..albeit secretive)
"You haven't truly lived until you've had a Cortex bomb!" ~Former GM

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #6 on: <12-31-16/0113:37> »
I assume we're talking about D&D style Dragonkin. For that, you'll want to go SURGE-III from Run Faster. There you can give your self scales and wings and get pretty close to it.

Drakes on the other hand, are literally metahumans that turn in to a small dragon.

JBRocky

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <12-31-16/0221:03> »
Thinking of the Dragon-Kin out of Earth Dawn not a Drake but was hoping that there were some rules I could look at first to see if my ideas matched.  Good thing that ED does have some rules for Dragon-Kin so I based my ideas on that.

Thanael

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <01-09-17/1212:43> »
See also this old dumpshock thread on Dragon Kin.
Ok, so if any one remebers earthdawn. They have dragon kin in the book of dragons. They got Astral sight, low light, and a +1 to Per and Wil.

So, what would a dragon kin get in Shadowrun? Any ideas, anything offical out there?

Any one has any ideas what would work for stats? I was thinking...
+1 Int, +1 Wil, Give them the ability of astral perseption and low light, and double there life.

I'd suggest elf mods and an additional +1 int, +1 will, dual nature, the scales SURGE effect and a hunted (6) flaw because everyone wants t gain hold of and study that poor being. And some dragons likely want it dead.

I'd drop the scales and elf mods too.

Officially they are extinct but according to the thread above ...

there are two dragonkin in the Shadowrun universe. One is Akira Kageyama, whose name appears as the second bequeathment in the will. He is supposedly the offspring of Dunkelzahn and an artist or actress, I don't recall the specifics. The other is the triad agent named Dragon-Eyes, a magician adept with natural eyes that are solid white and yet confer normal or even enhanced sight. He initally appears in the Underworld Sourcebook as a lieutenant in the Tigers initiatory group/gang. His parentage is unknown but rumored to involve an Eastern dragon, possibly Lung or Masaru.

Note that R.L.Kings excellent Shadowrun fanfic novels feature one though.. He gets quite involved with great dragon society by the end...

He's initially human looking and non dual natured , unsuspecting and is raised by foster parents. He turns out to be an adept though and later it is revealed that [spoiler]his dragon father used a ritual to suppress his true nature. When this is later reversed he gets weird eyes and becomes dual natured.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <01-10-17/1037:15> by Thanael »

RowanTheFox

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <01-09-17/1236:43> »
The main character of my fanfics is a Dragonkin, and it's a whole lot of high-level politicking. Let's review shall we?

Her dad, the man who raised her, was killed by Alamais (well, sort of) in retaliation for...raising her. (With not the slightest specter of a clue of who and what she is. Not that he would have cared.)

She was badly wounded and permanently scarred in a fight with S-K elite security before being handed over to Old Goldy on a gold-plated platter.

She wound up becoming Harlequin's new protege (among other things) because he was one of the only people on Earth who A: Could keep her safe-ish, B: Wasn't scared of her, and C: Didn't want to kill her (most of the time).

She has had to put up with all of the bulldrek that comes with being the protege of fragging Harlequin, and the bastard offspring of a Great Dragon.
It is better to be crazy and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts.

"Nothing is wrong if no one can stop you."

Remember, you're only a genius when they need you. The rest of the time you're just an asshole.

Well, drek. Looks like Timmy fell into the Dissonance Well again.