Shadowrun Play > Shadowrun: Anarchy

"Only one Shadow Amp can affect a roll’s outcome" what is that really mean?

(1/3) > >>

Jimmy_Pvish:
p38 "Only one Shadow Amp can affect a roll’s outcome; if two or more could apply to the Test, you must choose one effect to apply"

If I have

Cybereye 1 (amp2)
- Ignore vision modifiers

Cyberarms 3 (amp4)
-  may reroll 3 dice on AGI-relate roll

Skill wires 3 (amp4)
- add 3 dice to Firearms rolls

I have AGI 5 and Firearm 4
When I use firearms skill to shoot enemy at poor vision condition (let's say it's -4 dice), what is my dice?

1. can choose only 1 amp to effect my dice, so
    If choose Cybereye 1, AGI 5 + Firearm 4 = 9 dice
    If choose Cyberarms 3, AGI 5 + Firearm 4 - poor vision 4 = 5 dice and can reroll 3 dice
    If choose Skill wires 3, AGI 5 + Firearms 4 + Skill wires 3 - poor vision 4 = 8 dice

2. can use all 3 amp, because "Only one Shadow Amp can affect a roll’s outcome" is mean different amp that do the same things (ex Bioware arm and Cyberarms)
    So, AGI 5 + Firearms 4 + Skill wires 3 = 12 dice and can reroll 3 dice

Which one is correct?

Opti:

Gingivitis:
I got the exact opposite from that passage:

pg. 38. "Make sure to apply a relevant effect before comparing hits with the opposing dice. Only one Shadow Amp can affect a roll’s outcome; if two or more could apply to the Test, you must choose one effect to  apply."

Those effects are things, "such as allowing the reroll of dice that failed to score a hit or reducing the number of opposing dice rolled, negating hits, adding pips to dice (that is, making the roll one number  higher), and so on."

The only exception I found (which kind of reinforces the rule) is for Datajacks and Control Rigs, "Accessing the Matrix via AR does not confer any bonuses, but going full VR confers a +1 bonus to any  Hacking Tests. This bonus is noted on Shadow Amps that allow VR connection, such as datajacks and trodes, and it always applies in VR, even if another Amp is used to affect a Test while in VR."

Of course, anyone can play this anyway that they want.  The group gets to decide all that. so... meh?

Sendaz:
Even though the language of the writing seems to go with option 1 for expediency, I would still go with Opti on option 2 for this, because otherwise it seriously undermines having shiny things and makes for strange story telling. 

Yes, you have cybereyes, cyberarms and skillwires, but your power cells can only power one of your cybersystems at a time so choose wisely. :P

SoulGambit:
I'd say "ignore vision modifiers" and modifying the dicepool are sufficiently different. That said, nothing stops you from having "Cyberware Suite" and piling all the bonuses on to one cyberware. In fact, at creation, its cheaper to do that.

Honestly though, amps arent even closed to balanced. It treats rerolling failed dice as equal to bonus dice as equal to forcing the opponent to reroll successes as all being equal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version