NEWS

Into the Chaos (OOC)

• 974 Replies

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #435 on: <12-14-16/1122:25> »
I do not understand the question, wirelessly you can only hack things that are in the same network as yourself. If you are on the same room with the RCC you can just plug a cable and hack it with direct connection.

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #436 on: <12-15-16/1740:21> »
We are both pretty new to hosts, neither of us have a great grasp of how the matrix and AR work visually.  I just needed a little detail.  I think I know what stuttr is talking about but im not going to assume.

I'll let everyone get a post in before I continue with the talking.
Speech  Matrix  Sub-vocal  Thoughts

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
― Lewis Carroll

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #437 on: <12-16-16/0315:18> »
Just one thing I thought I would mention, Wheely is in VR so every time you try to talk to him you are really talking to a big lump of unconscious meat. Well cars should have mic so I suppose I could hear you through that but still, you talking to meat!

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #438 on: <12-16-16/0828:28> »
my understanding is that with trodes or a data jack you can get your com calls mentally. 

― Lewis Carroll

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #439 on: <12-16-16/0931:48> »
Oh yes no problem for Matrix communication and comcalls but when Kynos says "You better keep the motor running, we might come out hot." he is talking to a limp body  ::)

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #440 on: <12-16-16/1101:10> »
Wait are you saying you can be standing right next to the RCC and couldn't see the icon because it's in the host?  what's the point of onsite hacking then?

When you hack a device, it defends with Device Rating + Firewall (in most cases anyway, sometimes Data Processing).
So let's say you want to hack a camera, with a DR3: it's defence roll is 3+3 = 6d.

When a device is slaved to a Host (or anything for that matter), you use the best from the device or the Master.
So if your camera is slaved to a Host with a rating of 6 and 9 in firewall, the defence roll is max(Camera DR, Host DR) + max(Camera FW, Host FW) = 6 + 9 = 15

If you connect directly to the camera, then it only has its own attributes to defend, which means it's back to 6d instead of 15.
Plus, any mark you get on the camera, you also get on the Host.

And that is why you may want to be on site to hack stuff, especially high level hosts.

It works the same way if you want to spot the RCC: it's defended by the Host, so the Matrix Perception roll may be much more difficult (depending on the RCC and the Host of course).
Once in the Host however, you're able to see every slaved device, no rolls needed.
« Last Edit: <12-16-16/1103:11> by Imladir »
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #441 on: <12-16-16/1116:48> »
So are what point are you considered in the host meatspace-wise?  Or do you have to be physically connected?

― Lewis Carroll

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #442 on: <12-16-16/1118:58> »
You're never in the meat in a Host. Hosts are pure matrix concepts.

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #443 on: <12-16-16/1220:56> »
Okay so I would never see the AR  icon of the RCC until I physically jacked into it?

― Lewis Carroll

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #444 on: <12-16-16/1227:06> »
Not necessarily. If it's not running silent and you're less than 100m, you'll see it  (you may need a matrix perception roll to filter the icons in the vicinity to find it though)
If it's running silent, you would need to roll Computer + Intuition [Data Processing] vs Logic + Sleaze (the RCC or the Master if it's slaved) to see it.

If you fail on that roll, if it's slaved to the Host, a mark on the Host would allow you to find it. If you fail and it's not slaved to the Host then yeah, your only solution is pretty much to connect directly to it.

Kuirem

• Omae
« Reply #445 on: <12-16-16/1234:45> »
The last solution (and the one I thought Gilga was going for) is if the RCC is directly connected to an access port to the host and not running Wireless. Of course you will see the access port  in AR/VR (unless it's connected by a long cable going all the way to the farm).

Stuttrboy

• Omae
« Reply #446 on: <12-18-16/2049:23> »
But then it wouldn't need the antennae.
Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous. --H. P. Lovecraft

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #447 on: <12-19-16/0010:32> »
RCC is wirelessly connected to the host, the RCC has plenty of noise compensation and they have antennas for additional. You cannot see or target the RCC from outside the host unless you directly linked to it. The RCC is not entirely invisible, as instead of an RCC there is a host entrance icon.  (one that you can hack to enter the host).  It should looks like a door and Irris should is able to spot it if she knows what she is looking for.

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #448 on: <12-19-16/0014:17> »
I don't have any issues with that, but by the rules even if a device is slaved to something else, as long as it's Wireless On, it can be spotted (can as in it's possible, if it's running silent it's more complex).
It's just to be sure that's how you intend to have things work, and not some mistake ^^

gilga

• Prime Runner
« Reply #449 on: <12-19-16/0246:51> »
You can spot things as long as you are in the same grid as they are. A host is a private network. I think this is part of the rules with all the grid hop mechanics and host and so forth.