NEWS

Tangled Currents - Lizzie

• 784 Replies

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #705 on: <03-12-17/2305:49> »
Ah so this is the unseen dangers.  I will move even more slowly and gently feel for the edges of the pit.
Speech  Matrix  Sub-vocal  Thoughts

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”
― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #706 on: <03-13-17/0004:03> »
Thursday 13 June 2075 1015 You have No Idea Where

Your fingers tell you that the pit stretches completely across the corridor and you have no idea how far the other side is.  There is a voice from down in the pit.  "Hello.  Did someone just toss a rock down here?  Can you help me?"
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #707 on: <03-13-17/0017:34> »
I attempt to judge the distance to the bottom from the voice.  I suppose that depends on how far down you are.  I don't have any rope or even a light.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #708 on: <03-13-17/1012:02> »

You feel a touch on your shoulder and hear Sian's voice. "Remember that power is all around you if you choose to look for it and use it.  Reach out and see if you can feel it."  She releases you shoulder and the world returns to what it was. 

The voice floats up from the pit. "I am glad that someone came along.  I go lost and fell in this place."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #709 on: <03-14-17/1958:23> »
To Sian, or the Sian doppelganger I say, So are there other ways to use this power.  Can I use it to perform spells I do not know?  Can I make things out of thin air?

How did you get yourself down there?  What were you in this cave for?
I ask the disembodied voice.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #710 on: <03-15-17/0012:52> »

Sian laughs softly.  "Very good, Isla.  That is one of the questions that you should be asking.  Power is power and so, yes, it can be used to do anything you want.  If you have the will and enough power, you can do literally anything you want.  Of course, like anything else in life, it is baby steps first, so your spells will start out weak and will sometimes fail.  But as you learn more, you will get much better.  Much better.  All you need to do is see the power and then grab it to force it to your will.  But, of course, that is easier said than done.  You are on this path to learn how to do just that."

There is a laugh from below.  "I do not actually know how I got here.  I was walking on a different path when I suddenly found myself in darkness.  One step and here I am.  Can you help me?"

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #711 on: <03-15-17/0057:57> »
So I have to see it first.  Is it like peering into the astral?  I say and attempt to astrally perceive and look around for the pools and droplets of power that I have only seen twice now.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #712 on: <03-15-17/0125:09> »

"Yes and no, dear Isla.  It is like peering into the Astral, but the place is different because the power I use is not associated with the Astral plane.  To find it, you need to open a different eye, or at least look differently with the eyes that you have.  I know that you have the potential to do this, but you have to want it very badly.  It will be painful the first time, as you will expand your universe by an infinite amount and see into a place that you never knew existed.  A place of wonder and majesty and power.  You might find it difficult to go back and switching back and forth might confuse you and dilute your efforts.  In the end, the choice is yours.  Tell me if you want this and I will help you.  That is what I am here for.  I believe that this is why you are here.  But it will hurt a great deal.  I have warned you."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #713 on: <03-15-17/0908:42> »
And what is the price of this power?

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #714 on: <03-15-17/2230:52> »

Sian smiles. "Another very good question.  Ultimately, the price is everything you are, but that is at the far end of the spectrum and only the truly insane or power mad go that far.  The use of the power is a bit addictive.  Oh, not at first, but over the years it becomes more and more so.  If you are very strong willed, you can resist the call to use it.  There are those who are weak of will and try to reach for power that is beyond their ability and fall so deep into the need that they lose themselves.  Is this a chance you are willing to take?"

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #715 on: <03-16-17/0909:34> »
Okay Let's do this.  Show me how to see.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #716 on: <03-17-17/0009:15> »

Sian puts her hands on your shoulders and places her head close to yours and you smell a faint odor of something odd.  Not unpleasant, just odd. "The first time is the hardest.  You have to see into a new realm, one that is not normally visible to even talented mages.  The power of the Astral is easier to see and grasp onto and so most mages go that route and never even imagine the power that could be theirs.  But the shield that protects this plane is hard to pierce the first time.  It does get easier, I promise, and each time you do this it will be easier and hurt less.  Just imagine trying to put your head through a hole with a diameter of two inches.  Fortunately, the shield does give, but only to those will a will to succeed."

She puts her hands on the sides of your head with her thumbs over your eyes.  "Focus, Isla.  I will show you the pinprick of light that your will must make larger."

Your senses reach out and you can "see" a small dot of light just in front of you.  "Do you see that?  You must try to expand that.  When you think it is about two inches in size nod and I will let go of your head.  At that point, you will have to force your head through the hole.  It will hurt a great deal."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #717 on: <03-17-17/2126:05> »
I focus on the speck, then gather my will.  I imagine picking my fingers through the hole and gently but firmly pull at the edges of the hole keeping a careful but constant pressure on the edge, ramping up the focus and concentration steadily.

― Lewis Carroll

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #718 on: <03-18-17/0125:16> »

Sian nods and lets go of your head.  "That is good, Isla.  Keep your eyes closed this first time.  The transition from this place to that will be traumatic enough at first.  Now you must push your head through the hole into the other plane.  It is OK if you scream.  I promise that it will all be easier as you do it more and more.  At some point, the shield will recognize that you belong and will allow you an unchallenged entrance, but this time you are an intruder."

Ennui

• Omae
« Reply #719 on: <03-20-17/0140:02> »
I peek through the hole at first.  Then holding my down I begin to push it against the barriers willing the hole to stretch around my head until I can push my head in.  I feel the resistance and finally as it gives it it covers my mouth and nose making my breathing labored and with a final push I give out a barbaric Yawp as a sort of scream as I poke my head the rest of the way through.

― Lewis Carroll