NEWS

[SR5] Health spells for toxins

• 4 Replies

dposluns

• Chummer
« on: <05-06-16/1717:27> »
My team has recently been dealing with a lot of dice penalties from things like toxic gas. I'm thinking of picking up the Detox spell to help with it. One hit as a cure-all for any drug- or toxin-related side effects seem hard to argue with, and it doesn't look like there's a comparable medicine or slap patch or anything.

It's also unclear to me, but it sounds like you could potentially use Detox on someone who uses a drug (or say a Stim Patch) after they're done with the benefits of it but before they experience the repercussions to prevent those repercussions from happening. Does that sound correct?

I'm also curious whether people think the other toxin-related spells are worth anything. First off, I'm not entirely sure what the value proposition of Antidote versus Prophylaxis is. It sounds like they do the exact same thing when it comes to toxins, but Prophylaxis also resists the effects from drugs (good or bad), for some reason reducing the effectiveness of positive things but not negative things?

Dan.

dposluns

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-06-16/1737:59> »
Ok, I missed the part that says the force of the Detox spell needs to be equal to or greater than the DV of the toxin. Looks like most of the toxins listed start at 8 and quickly go up from there to 12 or more. I could handle an 8 or 9 but anything more than that and the casting drain is going to be worse than the symptom, especially if I cast it on multiple people. Not to mention that I can't cast beyond Force 12 anyway, until I raise my Magic stat.

How does this rule apply to drugs, which don't have a DV?

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-06-16/1748:36> »
Detox is great against drugs and to prevent their after effects.
Against toxins you'll have to over cast and hope for the best. As limited spell with a fetish you can have F-8 drain. That's enough to cast at F 12 without severely injuring yourself (especially if you set the limit with reagents below your magic rating)

Drugs don't have a Power rating, therefore you only need one hit at F 1
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

dposluns

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <05-06-16/1807:44> »
Fetish is a good idea. At F=12 that's only four drain which I can handle easily enough. That plus reagents, or if there's multiple people affected (as there often is) I can multi-cast to split the dice pool.

dposluns

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <05-15-16/1520:28> »
Ack, I just realized the folly of this, which is that if I'm trying to Detox multiple people at Force 8 to 12, I'm going to be sustaining the penalty for everyone I do that for probably for the remainder of the battle (since it takes 8 to 12 turns for it to become permanent). For the most typical side effects such as the -2 from Disorientation I'm basically transferring the effect to myself. :-P