NEWS

Ways of introducing the Invae other than Missing Blood?

• 4 Replies

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« on: <05-12-16/1822:00> »
I have slowly been introducing my players to the different powers and threats of the Sixth world over the course of the last two years as all of them except for me were new to the universe. I have reached the point where it's time for the first bodysnatchers to make their appearance, but because every single one of my players have played at least SR:Returns and most of them the other electronic versions Missing Blood is a no-go due to some serious name dropping that is very hard to get around if you are planning to use the official but extremely awesome material from that book.
This is why I have been thinking about ways to go about this which would leave just as big of an impact as MB does. To this end I was hoping to (once again) listen to my peers on their stories on how you did it.

My own most recently conceived idea includes a food producer using Ant Goo in his products to make them or irresistible, drawing in people not only to buy his stuff but also wanted to work for him in order to get easier access. These new recruits would be relocated into company dorms from which some of them will be "promoted". The recruitment will be from among the lowest levels of the social ladder to draw the least suspicion.
Whether the manager of the small Corp in question will be aware of cooperation or simply approached by a special supplier I haven't decided yet.
The players would be drawn into this setup by a competitor, currently think a coalition of small time businesses hurting due to this new secret ingredient. The coalition wants to know what the ingredient or recipe is in order to copy it.
« Last Edit: <05-12-16/2144:58> by PiXeL01 »
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Fizzygoo

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <05-18-16/2203:15> »
The Ant Goo angle sounds good. Key personnel in manufacturing have to be good merges in order to add the goo. All the following are possibilities to use:
* Government Agency (FDA) sending undercover agents (or the PCs) to see where they're getting the secret ingredient.
* Upper management (if big corp) sending undercover agents (or the PCs) to see why this manufacturing plant's products are selling better.
* Rival corp, natch.
* Independent bug hunters
* Reporter going undercover to figure out what's going on.
Add in all that and you have good recipe for suspense, intrigue, and three-way stand offs until the bugs come and break it up. :)
Member of the ITA gaming podcast, including live Shadowrun 5th edition games: On  iTunes and Podbay

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-22-16/2252:08> »
One of the old SR1 modules, Queen Euphoria (Book #7304), used a similar angle with a contracted SimStarlet hired for a guest spot on a promotional commercial.

But the Ant Shamen takes a particular liking to the Starlet, Euphoria, and intends to make her the host for his hive's queen spirit. The runners are hired to perform a catch-&-release abduction of Euphoria to prevent her from attending the commercial's filming. After returning her, Euphoria is again abducted this time from her corporate provided apartment/Sim Recording Studio, which she was using at the time of her second abduction. The module finishes with a strike into the Hive to rescue Euphoria.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #3 on: <05-24-16/0535:33> »
Yeah, as Shaidar says, Pix, you just came up with the Queen Euphoria module.

Missing Blood is Stage 2 of the Invae introduction (and one of the freakiest), but the initial 'hey, look at what else is out there first contact' situation is the QE mod.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Dampfish

• Newb
  • Stickin' with SR4A!
« Reply #4 on: <05-24-16/0817:04> »
I'm playing around with a similar "problem."
(It's a good problem to have, IMO)

I've been slowly taking my players through the Buried Underground plotline from Missions Season 4. I started them out with Copycat Killer, then Back In Business and through to every odd numbered mission in the season, with my own runs sprinkled in just to break it up a bit.
All the players were new to Shadowrun and I figured it would be a good way to both introduce the world and really establish Seattle at the same time. (Well, not completely new. I think one of them have at least played SR:R and I know one more have played at least SR:R and Dragonfall).

We're getting about halfway through the Buried Underground plotline and I'm itching to start introducing them to Invae and other magical threats soon. I've been debating myself whether Brothers United would be a good way to do that, since it could be tied in nicely with the Underground plot as well. I've been purposely avoiding Artifact Rush so far since that's supposed to be part of the aftermath of Dawn of the Artifacts (which I'm probably gonna take them through once they're a bit more experienced) but it couldn't hurt to start bringing in more artifact-related stuff in preparation for that, I suppose.
As you can tell, I'm playing kinda fast and loose with timelines etc. and instead focusing more on story and character development.

So TL;DR, my question is if you guys think Brothers United is a good introduction to Insect spirits?
"It's not my fault if you don't understand what I'm saying."