NEWS

Tangled Currents - Preston

• 77 Replies

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-27-16/1213:40> »
While your cookies are baking, your commlink pings.  It is a text from someone named Gloria at Gisseppi's.  >>Mister Preston, I am sending this in answer to your message of last night.  We do not normally handle shoes here at Gisseppi's, but exceptions can be made for special clients, and Lady Marisart is definitely a special client.  A representative of Le Clerc will be here to fit you for shoes that will be sure to match the tuxedo you select.  Please contact me if you have any additional questions.<<
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #16 on: <03-27-16/1622:34> »
Seattle, 2075

"Well then, that is footwear settled. Although it just seems too easy."

The cookies didn't seem to have an opinion on the matter, so Preston tried to put off his worries and focus on his preparations.

Edmonton, 12 October, 2069

"Well then, that is footwear settled." Fisher sounded almost pleased although so far Preston would not have thought that he was capable of such an emotion.

"It just seems too easy." Preston replied.  "I put on these synth-leather cowboy boots and suddenly he won't think I'm from here?  I mean I've been gaming with the guy for the past week."

"It's like this kid--none of you ethnic reserve sorts wear cowboy boots, since it's offensive to some of your rulers.  He's probably never thought about it, but he's noticed it.  Anyway, we'll do a bit more with the disguise, but boots are hardest to fit. Good thing our feet are about the same size."

"I still feel like he'll recognize me somehow from gaming."

"Nah, you'll be fine.  I rode along that one time, and when you are your avatar, what did you call it-- Coleman?  Yah, when you are Coleman you are all business,facts and figures, tactical analysis.  In person you seem less focused on business, less sure of yourself. Normal, in other words.  He is NOT going to easily associate you with Coleman."

"So what do I say to him, to life him out of the bostel.?"

"Nothing.  Believe me kid, you aren't ready to scam anyone in conversation.  Nope,you are just going to check in looking a lot like you might be a bounty hunter, and he's going to leave all on his own, and I'll take it from there.  Easy way to earn this bonus money, right?"

"Sounds like you got it all figured out, Fisher."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-27-16/1749:43> »
Wednesday, June 6, 2075, Preston's Apartment

The timer on the oven bings, letting you know that the cookies are finished.  You factor the current weather conditions, traffic patterns, and construction stoppages into your calculations and set your internal timer to alert you when it is about time to leave.
« Last Edit: <03-27-16/1855:46> by Mercy Merchant »

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <03-27-16/2159:19> »
Seattle, 2075[/color]

Preston sets the cookies to cool, checks his timing, and figures he'll be OK if he keeps moving quickly.

An all over bronzer on face and hands to shift his skin tone, some very light hints of colour to better emphasize his cheek bones, a small fake birth mark near one ear... A look in the mirror suggests that it is coming together, but not there yet.  He stares, then applied some wash out colour to his eyebrows to better match the wig, and adjusts them to be bushier. Finally he pulls fake glasses from his disguise kit and puts them on.

There, that all fully overemphasizes his upper face, leaving the lower part looking kind of vague and underdeveloped, and it should be easy to remove all of the details that people would be apt to normally remember.

He just has time to quickly make up a glaze for the cookies, use decorative icing tubes to outline some cartoony animal face, and then fill in some portions with candy sprinkles.  He takes one last look at them before packing them up.

* Gamma:  it seems unlikely that she would have received a gift like this before.
   * Monkey: Couldn't I just give booze? If she shares, that would be way more fun.

Maybe he should have gone for wine? Bu no time now.  He packs up the cookies, then after a moment of hesitation packs his taser, turned off,into the smuggling compartment in his arm.  You just never know...

Then down to the garage, into his American, and into his day.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <03-27-16/2210:48> »
Wednesday, 6 June, 0945, Gisseppi's Tailoring, Seattle Downtown

First stop is the tailor, Gisseppi's.  The address is a small shop in the Downtown district, sandwiched between two large buildings.  The store is fairly non-descript and you might normally walk past it.  The embossed letters above the storefront proclaim this as "Gisseppi's - Fine Tailoring".  Entering, you see four suits displayed on a rack and a counter separating the small customer area and whatever lies beyond the curtained doorway behind it.  A young woman raises her head from something she is sewing on by hand and says, "Good morning, sir.  May I help you?"
« Last Edit: <03-28-16/1125:59> by Mercy Merchant »

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #20 on: <03-28-16/1827:05> »
"I certainly hope so.  I think I have an appointment at 10am, I wasn't the one who made it, but I had confirmation that someone from a show place would come then as well so I'm pretty sure it is actually booked and actually for 10."

* Gamma: That did not come across as confident and suave
   * Coleman: I have given away the initiative, I should try to seize it back
   * Monkey: I should try to seize some soycaff, I've been up way too long, this sucks
   * Coleman: asking for soycaff would reveal further weakness
   * Gamma: in a situation like this, finding my voice that understand social situations and making it clearer might be useful
   * Oleg: Oh hell no!  There are too many of us already.

Preston takes a deep breath, and takes another shot at this whole introduction thing.  "Sorry, apparently the soycaff is wearing thin already.  I have a 10am appointment to get a tuxedo fitted.  I hope that I'm not to early."

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <03-29-16/1038:14> »
[spoiler]Posting a mix of posts Mercy and I had via email[/spoiler]

The woman smiles and comes around the counter to offer her hand.  “Mister Preston?  I am Gloria.  I believe that we communicated by text earlier.  You are a bit early, but that is no trouble.  Could you please come through?”  She leads you back behind the counter and through the curtain.  A short hallway leads to a much larger workroom.  Racks of material adorn the walls and three young men are working on various stages of some suit, supervised by a much older man and a middle-aged woman.  Everyone looks up as you enter the room, but the three young men quickly put their heads back down to their work.  Gloria says, Signore Gisseppi, this is Mister Preston.  The special appointment for Lady Marisart.”

The old man breaks into a smile and chatters on in Italian for a couple of minutes while the middle-aged woman comes forward, also smiling.  “Good morning Signore Preston.  My name is Sofia.  Pardon my father, please.  He is telling the world what a privilege it is to serve the Lady Marisart and how more people should be like her.  I understand that you need a tuxedo and it has to be ready by this afternoon.  Would you mind please removing your shoes and standing on this stool here?”

Preston does as he is told, then after a moment he clears his throat self consciously, and says in Italian "I didn't want to intrude, but I felt it would be rude to continue without telling you that I speak some Italian.  Not good enough to understand everything you have said; my ear is too slow and I think some of it was clothing words I don't know."

They chat for a couple of minutes, the rust gradually wearing off of Preston's Italian as he uses it and they slow things down for him a bit.  He discovers that he apparently learned from someone who spoke Neopolitan, although the explanation of the differences is too subtle for him to make a lot of sense out of.

But soon Signore Gisseppi and the others return their focus on the task at hand and their conversation to each other, only occasionally breaking up the professional discussion with a comment to Preston.

The woman and her father start by walking around you and chattering on in Italian.  Both pull out tape measures and take measurements of your body in several places.  With the measurements noted on a data pad, the old man goes to the racks of material and brings one bolt over at a time. Sometimes he only takes a step from the rack before he shakes his head and goes back for a different color or type of cloth. He holds the material to you and judges how the color matches your pigmentation, again rejecting most but finally settles on three.

It has gradually been dawning on Preston that they are planning to make a tuxedo for him, rather than adjusting a rental tux to fit him.  He berates himself "How could I have missed that there are no racks of rental tuxes around?" but leaves the rest of the mental recriminations for later -- he has to decide on whether or not to say anything. 

Nothing had been said about the cost of this, but he'd assumed he'd pay for a rental.  Paying for what appeared to be a master tailor to do a rush order of a custom made tux would cost, actually he had not the foggiest clue what that would cost.  Thousands, most likely.  If the payment came through for the Carlin Street job maybe he'd be able to pay ... no, he had to assume that Lady Marisart was covering this, if it was actually her she was working for.  If they expected a cred-stick before he walked out the door, well, he just wouldn't be getting a tux.

Sofia looks at you and says, “These are the best three.  Do you have a preference for the color?”

The colors all looked the same to him, but it suddenly occurs to him that since this is not an off the rack job, there are decisions to be made about how it looks.  He's not entirely that anyone in this whole crazy situation will listen to him, or that he can even describe what he wants, but it would be crazy not to try, right?

* Gamma: Defining what is crazy has always been a difficult thing
   * Oleg: I wonder if I could ask for a concealed holster?

Again Preston clears his throat, and doing his best in Italian he says "I'm sure Lady Marisart gave you directions about what she wants, and she is the customer for both you and I, so I don't want to say 'no' to what she wants.  Not at all.  And because this is for her, the clothing should make her look good, and you know best about that." 

Looking around, Preston thinks the faces look more annoyed by the interruption to their flow than interested in what he is trying to get at, so he hurries on to his point.  "I am not happy in the spotlight.  I need to look good beside Lady Marisart, but I want the attention on her, not on me.  If it is on me, I hope that they remember most the nice tuxedo, less how I look.  I don't know what that means in terms of fashion details, but maybe it makes sense to you?"

"Also, for the choice of colors, maybe the problem is that I have on a wig, and some color on my face, so my color is not quite natural?  It is how I plan to be all the day and night, but if the colors are confusing you then I don't have them quite right, and should change either hair or skin I think."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <03-29-16/1053:35> »
The two talk a mile a second, completely foiling your ability to get more than every fourth word or so.  Sofia stops talking and turns to you, smiling.  "Then it is not to worry.  We have a supply of some material that can change its coloring as you wish.  Would that suit you better?  Is Lady Marisart finally getting smart and hiring a guard for herself?  If so, maybe a holster for a gun?  If so, please tell me what sort and style of gun you use.  My father will make it invisible and protected from most scanners."

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <03-29-16/1843:54> »
The two talk a mile a second, completely foiling your ability to get more than every fourth word or so.  Sofia stops talking and turns to you, smiling.  "Then it is not to worry.  We have a supply of some material that can change its coloring as you wish.  Would that suit you better?  Is Lady Marisart finally getting smart and hiring a guard for herself?  If so, maybe a holster for a gun?  If so, please tell me what sort and style of gun you use.  My father will make it invisible and protected from most scanners."

* Oleg: That is a lot of questions!
   * Gamma: I do have a few pieces of elctrochromatic clothing already
   * Coleman: More tactical options from electrochromatic fabric would be advantageous
   * Monkey: No!!! This is a NICE thing, no messing with it!  Have you LOOKED at that fabric? NONONO!!!

Preston rocked slightly at the force of Monkey's convictions -- the voice hadn't thrown that sort of tantrum since he'd been kicking his hot sim habit.  Originally he'd isolated Monkey as the voice of his addictions but it had turned out to be more than that -- it was all his uncontrolled desires. As such it mostly had to be controlled, but totally denying it was both impossible and unwise.

"I do make use of electrochramatic fabric.  In fact ..." With a flick of his mind his white shirt shifts to a cheerful sky blue. "....I'm wearing such a shirt right now.  I know it isn't the right sort of shirt for a tuxedo, and I suppose I need to arrange a proper shirt as well, along with a bow tie and whatever it is one calls that thing around the waist.  But back to the question: for the tuxedo, no, I think I'd rather just have an honest cloth.  This will be the nicest thing I own, and I think I'd rather leave the colour and texture to the experts.  Perhaps I will simply plan to use similar skin tones in the future when I want to look my best in a tux."

"On the other hand, the hidden holster may be a good idea.  If you will permit me.
Preston rolls up his left sleeve, then pops open the smuggling compartment to remove his taser. "This may be hopelessly naive of me, but hopefully at any occasion where I'd wear a tuxedo this will be sufficient."

"Thinking along such lines, without ruining the lines, would it be possibe to cut it such that if I were to obtain one of those very thin protective vests, I could wear it underneath?  Sadly at the moment I have only a standard armor vest, which I think would be too bulky."

"I don't know how such things are divided up -- can you also provide shirt, tie, and cummerbund--that is the word I was looking for?  If so, perhaps the color changing option for those two would be possible?  If you are more specialized for suits, can you suggest someone able to provide those on no notice?"

"And to answer your first question, I should probably let Lady Marisart comment on such things."

It is only at the end that Preston realizes that Monkey had thrown him so off-kilter that he'd said all of this in English, that he hadn't even tried to reply in Italian.  He gives a quick apology in Italian, but Sophia waves it off and rapidly summarizes for Signore Gissepi.

Choosing one of the fabrics, the man smiles and nods and puts the others back on the rack.  He claps his hands and the three young men jump up and clear all that they have been working on from their tables and get to work.  Sofia says, “Now the fun begins, Signore Preston.  I will take you to our small waiting area.  My father may have some additional measurements and he will want to try at least one early fitting, but he understands that you have other things to do.  I understand that Le Clerc is sending someone over about your shoes and I expect them any minute.  Would you care for some coffee while you wait?”

She leads you to a well appointed waiting room and esconces you in a comfortable chair while she goes to a small pot and pours you some coffee.  Turning to you, she says, “All I have to offer today is a Mediterranean blend.  It is quite good.  If you prefer soycaf to real coffee, I can go out and get you some from the building next door.  Cream, milk, sugar?” 

"For this -- black, please!"  Preston loses himself in the aroma rising from the cup, prolongin anticipation for as long as he can.

She disappears back into the other room and you barely have time to enjoy the aroma of the coffee when you hear an argument from out in the work room.  One voice seems to be the elder Gisseppi, and the other is speaking in French.

* Monkey: They aren't going to disturb me while I'm having real coffee, are they?

Preston decides that as long as he doesn't hear screams or gun-shots, he'll let the drama play out and simply enjoy his coffee.

Voices are raised and then Sofia brings a balding little man into the waiting room.  He has a small black bag with him and is snorting to Sofia in broken English about how he should not have to take the abuse from her father.  After all, he has a pride, too.  The man is brought to you and bows formally before you.  “Michel Le Clerc at your service, Monsieur Preston.  I am to work miracles and provide you with footwear fit for a king.”  He looks over his shoulder and yells out.  “And for this abuse I do not need to come to the cheap shop of a jumped needle man that produces unsatisfactory ladies wear.”  The response is lots of yelling in Italian and Sofia pokes her head in the door.  “Uncle, please?” The man shrugs his shoulders and looks at you as he opens his bag.  “Can you believe it?  My sister would marry that man. An Italian?  Such a scandal.”  He winks and says in a much lower voice, “You will find no finer tailor in Seattle, probably in the world, Monsieur Preston.  We have been arguing like this for over forty years.  The world will be a much sadder place when he passes on to join my sister.  Now to your shoes, shall we?”

By this point Preston is barely surprised that he is apparently to deal with another master craftsman. 

* Gamma: If this is a scam, there will be some proud craftsmen looking to collect on large bills.

Preston gulps the last of the coffee faster than it deserves, and tries his best to be engaging. "I don't know about 'fit for a king,' although I suspect that may be the quality you tend to deliver anyway.  They need to go well with a tuxedo; be good for a reasonable amount of walking -- or in the case of a dire emergency dancing; preferably be wearable with slightly less formal clothes since these will be the nicest shoes I have by a couple of orders of magnitude but I doubt I'll have that many occasions to wear a tuxedo; not attract too much attention but please the eye of those who do pay attention to shoes."

"Well, that is probably what you do anyway, but I thought it worth being clear what sort of shoes I was looking for."
Then thinking of how flexible the tailors have been, he adds "And if there was a way to allow a space where a lock pick could be inserted where it would be extremely hard to find -- perhaps just above the heel -- that would be a nice to have.  I don't ever expect to need such a thing, but I suppose the fanciest occasions might the ones where one is the biggest target for abduction."

Thirty minutes later, Le Clerc leaves, setting off another round of arguments back and forth as he passes back through the work room.  Sofia returns to ask you to come back out and puts you on the small stool again.  Some material has been rough cut and Gisseppi places swaths of material across your arms and back and takes some new measurements.  When done he talks to Sofia, who nods vigorously then turns to you.  “Papa says that you are done here, Signore Preston.  Please believe that we will have your tuxedo delivered to Lady Marisart this afternoon early enough to try it on, but you should not worry.  My father will make this perfect, although he says that should you require another one to please give him more time.”  She waits for you to put your shoes back on and escorts you back out to the main shop area.  Gloria is with another client but looks up at you with a nod and smile.  Standing on the wide sidewalk, you wonder a bit at what just happened and check your chronometer.  It is just past noon and you have enough time to swing by Sonya’s flower shop before heading off to the Gates.

Preston has to pause and give his head a shake when he exits the shop. 

* Coleman: I need to remember how disorienting this is, next time I'm trying to get someone else off their game.
   * Monkey: When can we go back?
   * Oleg: They have a nice scam of their own: charge you and arm and a leg and make you happy to get your arm back on a fragging silver platter.
   * Coleman: Another tactic I must remember.

Preston calls his car, and head off for what is apt to be an even more disorienting experience: picking up flowers from his ex-lover, and probably best friend, to take to another woman.
« Last Edit: <03-29-16/2039:57> by Beta »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-30-16/0111:48> »
The drive to Sonya's shop is unremarkable except for the fact that it is too short for you to really figure out what to say to her.  In some manner, she apparently knows about the "date", but that does not mean that she is comfortable with it.  All too soon, the autopilot places you at the parking lot opposite her florist shop.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #25 on: <03-31-16/1722:09> »
Crocus & Co.  More familiar than his own apartment.  More ‘home’ than his apartment was, for that matter.  But Sonya’s business and home-away-from-home, not his. 

It had only been six weeks since the last time he walked through that door.  It felt like yesterday, it felt like an eternity.  Same bell as he opened the door.  Same welcoming scents of greenery and pollen – and of Sonya.  Sonya standing there, wearing if not the exact same outfit as last time then one at least very similar– her unofficial work uniform of green blouse and brown knee length skirt, practical shoes, hair pulled back into a braid.  That had the same effect of emphasizing her big green eyes, that he could lose himself in so easily, same as always.

Same ache in his heart.  Same jumble of thoughts and emotions, same cacophony of should-have, could have, could-yet.  The same thought that maybe he should find a name for the voice of heart-break; the same memory that whenever he tried all he came up with was an image of a bleeding rose but no name. 

Same rationalizations on why he had to stay away from her, for her own good.  Same cry from some nameless corner of his mind “But what about my good?”  Same echoing silence as the rest of him still had the same lack of an answer.

Same stilted conversation, for all that the words were different.

Preston started.  “Thank you for hooking me up with the job.”  Flat, like thanking someone for holding the door open for you

Sonya replies with a veneer of emotion, banter with someone you’ve shared the elevator with many times before.  “You are welcome.  She’s a very major customer, so I hope when this is done I’ll be thanking you for taking it, not cursing you for losing me so much business.”

And that was all it took, Preston couldn’t maintain an air of indifference anymore.  “Is business bad?  Did you take yourself a cut on this job, because you should, if she didn’t offer I can give you”

Sonya stopped him mid-sentence with a slight shake of her head.  “Business is fine – I mean the same as ever.  I’m still not going to retire to Hawaii anytime soon, but I’m still doing OK.”

Preston finally moved into the store far enough to let the door close behind him with another tinkle of the bell.  “Are you sure?  You look thinner, I was worried that maybe money was tight – if it is ever tight, let me know, right?”

“Preston: You are the only one who thinks me getting thinner is a bad thing, everyone else just says ‘it’s a good start.’”  Sonya tilts her head to one side, then offers “Maybe one of only two: there is that dwarf who sometimes scavenges wilted flowers from the dumpster who worries about me losing weight too.  For that matter, I’ve seen him around more lately than you.”

“Spend any amount of time in the barrens and ‘thin’ doesn’t look so good anymore.  You need to show that you are prosperous, that you can afford food, that …”

Again it took only a subtle move of her head to stop him.  “Michael, we’ve been through this before, and we aren’t together anymore so you don’t get a vote.”

“Just ….. don’t take it too far, please.  You weren’t born to look like an elf, and that is OK.  And please, not my actual name”

“Preston then?  Or Peter Maloch, if you haven’t changed IDs again already?  Do you know how hard it is, when I don’t even know what to call you?”

“I … I … “ Preston’s face twists as emotions struggle to become words, but when words come out they are stripped of emotion.  “Look, I need to get these flowers.  If this is real.  I met the supposed assistant to this supposed Lady.  You’ve met them before, they are for real?  I mean, I know the name is for real, but was that actually the assistant, is the Lady really my client?”

“Yes, I’ve met them both.  Monique more often as she normally arranges things like flowers, but I’ve met Lady Marisart too.  She’s English, red-headed, seems to have more money than she knows what to do with, but at least some of it comes to businesses like mine and she does a lot of charitable work too.  She seems decent, for what she is; she talks to me more like a real person than some of my corporate clients do, and she seems to actually care about how flowers look, not just how expensive or rare or exotic they are.”

“So, do you have any idea what this is really about?”

“No.  You will come back and tell, after, right?  Call that my finder’s fee.  I might have enough money, but enough vicarious excitement perhaps not so much.”  Then her hand flies to her mouth “I never thought, are you seeing someone?  Is that why you haven’t been by?”

“No, nothing like that.  I’ve just been … just … just BEING.  Trying to be me, be normal, I guess?  I don’t know what normal is, I don’t think, but you know, present in day to day life, not buzzing through it on Jazz, living something better in hot sim, just … trying to be bored, be tired, be in pain, be”

“Pain?  Have you been hurt?”

“No, nothing like that.  Just …” Just my heart. “Just life, you know?  It hurts sometimes.  You know, even when nothing is hurting right now, the past, everything…”

Sonya nods.  Silence falls, and a deeper conversation finally happens, spoken in subtle shifts of muscles, hummingbird light touches of eyes, pheromones, and thoughts that still have drawer set aside in each other’s minds.

Finally Sonya intrudes on the silence, apologizing with a watery smile and trying to hide possibly watery eyes.  “I have everything you need put together.  Corsage, boutonnière,  bundle of roses that she’ll apparently be giving to the performers.  I’ll show you how to hold it properly, in case she wants you to do while she hands them out.  Tell her that the floral decorations for her party will be delivered in plenty of time.”

As Sonya pulls the items out of her cooler, Preston indulges in a lingering look at the curves of her posterior, then finally responds “Yes, business is …. Business.” Preston says the last word like it tastes bad,  then brightens up and adds “I got fitted for a custom tuxedo this morning, before coming here.  Not a rental, a real one!  I just hope she is paying for that, but this guy, the tailor he’s just amazing, he is such a professional at what he does, and seems to love it so much.  You just don’t meet many people like that, you know?  A guy for shoes who was much the same.  I love that, people who combine so much expertise and love for what they do.  Like, like, …. “ Sonya turns around, arms full of packages of flowers, and Preston finishes off “Oh.”

Their eyes frantically discuss how to get them out of this moment, then Preston closes his while Sonya turns her head to put flowers down on the counter.

“I should”

“You probably need to”

“Holding flowers”

“Right!”

A hurried lesson, held out of touching distance, the two doing a dance of one approaching the counter while the other retreats.  Finally Preston is the one with arms full of flowers, Sonya holding the door for him.  He passes so close to her that he can feel her heat, before passing out into the cool, rainy, afternoon.

Sonya calls after him “You’ll remember?”

How to hold the flowers?  To tell her about the opera?  About the job?  About how he still feels?  “Of course” he lies, hoping that his turned back and the sound of rain will let her pretend to believe him.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-31-16/2120:00> »
(posting for Mercy)

Standing outside the door of the shop, your brain tells you, “That was so fragging………………..something.  What is wrong with her?  What is wrong with me?”

Realizing that there is just about no good answer to those questions, you return to your car and carefully place the flowers on the passenger seat before walking around to the drivers side.  At this point, it is just easier to let the autopilot handle the driving so you can mope about what you should have said.  Frag, why do you always think of the good words after you leave?  The car follows the speed limit, but still does not take too long to arrive at the towers of the Gates Undersound Hotel.  A quick matrix search has told you that the hotel is one of the more prestigious addresses in Seattle.  The five-star restaurant is actually under the water of the sound and connected to the rest of the hotel by tubing made of the same clear materials as the dining room is to allow the guests to see the wonders of the sea from up close.  The bottom three floors of the hotel itself are massive suites that are advertised to be under the water and have huge, floor-to-ceiling windows that look right into the sound.  Your car pulls up to a security booth and the uniformed man in a glassed-in box asks you for a pass, which you hand to him.  He looks at it and whistles.  He hands it back and tells you, “Sir, you are at the public entrance and need to go to the private entrance.  The two sections do not connect.”  He gives you directions and you back out and go to the private entrance.

The guard here takes more time to look at the pass and asks you to please wait while he makes a call to verify that it is authentic.  While he is on the phone, you observe that the man is wearing some sort of holster harness under his uniform and that it is situated so that he can draw a weapon quickly if called on to do so.  There are also several camera sensors focused on this part of the garage.  Apparently satisfied, the guard provides you with an ARO map to your parking spot and tells you to take the elevator at the south end of the level and someone will meet you there.  You casually drive through a field of luxury cars and find your assigned spot.  You have several choices of spaces marked “Guest - Tanya Marisart”.  The only vehicle currently in any of the three spaces reserved as “Private – Tanya Marisart”  is a magnificent Mirage motorcycle.  Taking the flowers from the passenger side, you lock up and walk to the elevator, which is perhaps thirty feet from where you park and you find that the only buttons inside are listed for the four levels of the garage and the lobby.  Feeling a bit frisky, you almost push all of the buttons, but realize in time that there are probably cameras in here and you do not want to have security waiting for you.

Monique is waiting for you when the door opens, along with two young men in hotel uniforms and two men who could pass as bouncers in a bar who are also wearing hotel uniforms, but with the added aspect of some serious pistols at their hips.  She asks them to take the flowers and gives you an odd look before turning to them.  “Please take these to the scanners and then down to U3A.  Wait if I am not there and I will be along shortly.”  When the men disappear around the corner, she turns to you with a stern look.  “Mister Preston?  Your appearance is not the same as I remember.  Can you please explain that to my satisfaction?”

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <04-01-16/0954:44> »
Preston’s thoughts were still working their way clear of the flower shop, so he is uncharacteristically slow to respond; he stairs at the assistant for a full second before he realizes what she’s talking about.

Oh, my face and hair.  Of course I changed them.  Don’t you when you are going out?”

Honesty prompts him to add  “Granted maybe not to the same purpose: I do it to NOT be remembered, while the stereotype is that women do it TO be remembered.  Although looking at the war paint some use, I think really it amounts to the same thing: present an image that will be remembered, without having to live in that image all of the time.

He shrugs, thinking that really the less said the better, but his frustration with this job drives more words out of his lips.  “Look, I don’t know what I was really hired for.  Certainly not my trid-star looks or presence or my sparkling social skills.  You can dress me up however you like, but I’m still a matrix gamer -- his is the avatar I chose for today.  This is what I do for every job --  If you didn’t know this about how I operate, you might not have asked enough questions.  But don’t worry, the tux was all done while I had this look on, so I haven’t spoiled the look there.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <04-01-16/1027:20> »
Monique smiles.  "Thank you for the explanation.  I am sorry if this is all a bit out of the ordinary, and I hope that my employer can answer all of your questions.  Matrix gamer, eh?  What a coincidence.  Please come with me."  She walks ahead of you to a bank of elevators, one of which is open.  She is wearing a just-above-the-knee length skirt that swishes from side to side as she walks.  A security guard in the hotel uniform is standing there and she shows him a pass of some kind.  He nods and looks at you as she tells him you are with her.  The elevator only has buttons for U1, U2, U3, and L inside.  Monique presses the one for U3 and the door closes silently behind you.  As you descend, she turns to you.  "Have you been to the Gates before, Mister Preston?  It is a very unique hotel, in my opinion."

The door opens on a hallway and she leads you to suite A.  opening the door, she motions for you to come in and follows you.  Your first impression is that the main living area is at least five times the size of your entire apartment.  At least.  Your eyes are drawn to the windows at the far end of the room.  The stretch from floor to ceiling and look out under the water right into the sound.  A large, well appointed kitchen is off to the right and you can see a formal dining room to the left that can probably seat at least twelve.  Your attention is brought back to the living room by a woman yelling out "Yes!"  You can see the back of her head, which is covered with red curls.  Her hands are out in front of her and she seems to be controlling one of the figures on a huge trid screen on the wall in front of her.  Monique motions for you to remain and goes over to whisper in the woman's ear.  You hear the redhead say in a very distinctive British accent, "What?  Is it that time already?  Why did you not tell me.  Wait, you probably did.  Bloody hell."

The woman stands up and you get your first in-person look at Lady Tanya Astasia Marisart as she moves to greet you.  It is not overly impressive.  She is about five foot five and maybe 120 pounds.  She is wearing pink pajamas and from how what she has under her top is moving, she is not currently wearing a bra.  She has what can only be describes as pink bunny slippers on her feet.  She reaches out a hand and says, "How do you do, Mister Preston.  I am Tanya Marisart.  It is a pleasure to meet you.  I am sorry for my state but I got involved in the latest championship version of Street Fighter and lost track of time.  You don't play, by any chance, do you?  The duo mode of this game is fantastic, but I cannot seem to find anyone who wants to play with me."

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <04-01-16/1146:24> »
   * Oleg: I will not laugh at my employer, even if she is a rich English twit
   * Gamma: This sort of behavior and attire is quite normal for gamers
   * Oleg: I will not laugh at my employer
   * Coleman: For an AR game, this much open space and easy moving clothes are a good plan.
   * Oleg: I will NOT laugh at my employer
   * Monkey: maybe the games she wants to play aren't in the matrix?  Ook-ook!
   * Oleg: I WILL NOT laugh

Preston laughs.  After all the tension, doubt, worries ... this was the last thing he expected, and he just can't stop himself.

Gasping he says "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry ... I'd just built you up to be this ... this ... frightfully proper English aristocrat.  You know, you don't have to hire me to get me to play games."

He takes a moment to get himself back under control, then adds "Of course I play.  Brawlers aren't my specialty, but I've dabbled in everything.  Years ago I thought maybe I could go pro in tactical team simulation games.  If I'd tried I'd probably still be slinging soycaff and being frightfully serious about it all.  I try to play just for fun now."

* Monkey: I should tell her about some of the stuff I did last year when I was hot-simming "Invasion: Mars!"
   * Oleg: She might be one of those eccentric english-people, but I will not brag about what I did while addicted to hot-sim to anyone.  Some things are best buried.

Preston look from Lady Marisart to Monique and back again.  "But to play dual-mode, you'll have to invite me onto your home PAN." He finally spares a look at the space and the luxury; he'd thought his four room apartment with private garage was quite nice, but it looks like a hovel compared to this place.  "That is, PAN, or maybe it's a host?  Either way, I promise not to go poking around."

* Monkey: Did I really have to promise that?  Who knows what she has in here?

post 15
« Last Edit: <04-04-16/1420:04> by Beta »