NEWS

HeadJack - or how to exploit Front Line Mind cyberware suite...

• 7 Replies

adzling

« on: <03-16-16/1834:11> »
This is a borderline exploit build that utilizes the Front Line Mind cyberware suite from Boston Lockdown to, well, make a fairly fierce some decker/ sam that does not use the typical high-agility cyberarm.

This relies upon installing a rating 5 Stealth dongle on the headware comlink so ymmv.
You should really get a program carrier for that thing as well (or an attack rating?).

To be effective he should really purchase a Stealth and possibly a Locksmith & Hardware activesofts post char-gen.
This would make him a very good infiltrator easily able to hack or locksmith or hardware his way past any problem.

Anyhoo check it out and let me know your thoughts...

Priorities in descending order were:
$$
Attributes
skill
metatype
mundane

Headjack

METATYPE: ELF

B 2, A 6/8, R 5/8, S 1, W 3, L 6/8, I 5, C 3, ESS 5, EDG 1

Condition Monitor (P/S): 9 / 10
Armor: 0

Limits: Physical 4, Mental 10, Social 5

Physical Initiative: 10/13+2D6

Active Skills: Athletics Group 2, Computer (Matrix Perception +2) 6, Electronic Warfare 6, Hacking (vs. Devices +2, vs. Hosts +2) 6, Pistols (Semi-Automatics +2) 6

Qualities: Agile Defender, Born Rich, Jack of All Trades, Master of None, SINner (Corporate SIN): pick

Augmentations:
   Cerebral Booster (2)
   Cyberears (1) w/ Antennae, Antennae, Antennae, Damper, Sound Link
   Cybereyes (1) w/ Flare Compensation, Image Link, Smartlink
   Datajack
   Mnemonic Enhancer (2)
   Muscle Toner (2)
   Reaction Enhancers (2)
   Simrig
   Skilljack (6)
   Skillwires (6)
   Transys Avalon (Used) (Cyber) w/ Stealth Dongle (5)
   Transys-Erika: Front Line Mind
   Wired Reflexes (1)

$$ left over to buy equipment =@$20,000
+
Starting ¥: 5,000 + (1D6 × 20)¥

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <03-16-16/2214:24> »
If you really gonna deck with this thing then you need an Attack attribute otherwise you can't crack files.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <03-16-16/2235:44> »
If you really gonna deck with this thing then you need an Attack attribute otherwise you can't crack files.

Couple options depending on the table.  One Add Attribute (Attack) mod.  Option two, Edge, some table may not allow you to edge if you don't have any attack Attribute though so YMMV.  Three Attack Dongle and swap Dongles - AFAIA swapping dongles isn't covered at all RAW so the GM would have to make that call.

But, yeah, File Protection is an issue.

This is a long term build I think.  Or a Primer Runner build, the extra cash would go a long way.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-16-16/2326:25> »

Couple options depending on the table.  One Add Attribute (Attack) mod.  Option two, Edge, some table may not allow you to edge if you don't have any attack Attribute though so YMMV.  Three Attack Dongle and swap Dongles - AFAIA swapping dongles isn't covered at all RAW so the GM would have to make that call.

But, yeah, File Protection is an issue.

This is a long term build I think.  Or a Primer Runner build, the extra cash would go a long way.

RAI I believe is that you need an Attack rating to do an action that is limited by Attack attribute.

However, RAW doesn't state that, so it's the GM's call... (this edition should change from "Everything Has A Cost' to "Everything Needs A GM Call").

Yes, this build would benefit from Prime Runner- but what build wouldn't.

Swapping Dongles may or not be easily done- it's an implanted commlink. My call would be the dongle port is not readily accessible. However, others may look at it differently.

If this cybersuite had an inplanted cyberdeck instead of a commlink, it would be much more attractive.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <03-17-16/0926:20> »
My call would be the dongle port is not readily accessible. However, others may look at it differently.

Yeah I wouldn't have this call, but I would also outright ban dongles, so.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-17-16/1021:56> »

RAI I believe is that you need an Attack rating to do an action that is limited by Attack attribute.

However, RAW doesn't state that, so it's the GM's call... (this edition should change from "Everything Has A Cost' to "Everything Needs A GM Call").

Yes, this build would benefit from Prime Runner- but what build wouldn't.

Swapping Dongles may or not be easily done- it's an implanted commlink. My call would be the dongle port is not readily accessible. However, others may look at it differently.

If this cybersuite had an inplanted cyberdeck instead of a commlink, it would be much more attractive.

I mention Prime Runner as this build is about 50k short of just getting a Cyberdeck and doing exactly what it wants to do without mucking around with Commlinks and dongles.  You could still use the implanted Commlink as a back up hacking device down the road, but just flat out having a Cyberdeck lets this build "check all the boxes" and carry on. 

And yes, the ways to deal with File Protection using a Commlink require some kind of GM approval.  *shrug*  Personally I'm okay with players spending Edge when they have 0 dice or a 0 limit.  I can see where other GMs feel differently.  Swapping dongles I'm less okay with, implanted or otherwise.

Really, out of the gate, this build is as good as any Combat Decker build, but the upside from the skillwires down the road is where it shines.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-17-16/1207:17> »
Indebt quality will help with your 50 000 nuyen problem

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-17-16/2034:10> »
Indebt quality will help with your 50 000 nuyen problem

I would never suggest to anyone to start off with 7500nuyen interest payments/month.