NEWS

Is this an acceptable task for a spirit?

• 23 Replies

Novocrane

• Ace Runner
« Reply #15 on: <02-24-16/1847:33> »
Instead of actually making the skill itself better, SG injected a reason to punish you for not buying [Banishing].
No. SG put mechanics to a reason that already existed.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <02-24-16/2010:09> »
Ohh joy, another "I don't particularly like this skill so it's total crap and never should have been included" post...  ::)
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <02-24-16/2012:35> »
Ohh joy, another "I don't particularly like this skill so it's total crap and never should have been included" post...  ::)
Yeah, it's a revolutionary design concept that all skills should be somewhat equally valuable, huh  ::)
Playability > verisimilitude.

adzling

« Reply #18 on: <02-24-16/2030:43> »
Automatics anyone?
The skills are nowhere near in balance, y could houserule something for banishing.
I'm thinking I might do something like that for my table, any ideas?

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <02-24-16/2208:02> »
Yeah, it's a revolutionary design concept that all skills should be somewhat equally valuable, huh  ::)

Name me an RPG where every skill is equally valuable?

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-24-16/2209:13> »

Name me an RPG where every skill is equally valuable?
Thanks for omitting the "somewhat." And some games are better than others with this.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Pap Renvela

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <02-24-16/2214:34> »
Alright, I'll bite.
Name me a RPG where the skills are all somewhat equal.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #22 on: <02-24-16/2257:15> »
Alright, I'll bite.
Name me a RPG where the skills are all somewhat equal.

Heroquest/Herowars.

Granted, you can name whatever you want, all that really matters are the ratings you have in them.

To my comment way up thread where I recalled mention in an early edition of hearth spirits of office buildings being able to do basic computer tasks .... I just looked in my 2nd edition rules quickly and didn't find that there in any obvious place.  I'm pretty sure I did read it, but don't know where (and don't have most of the books from that era)

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #23 on: <02-25-16/0038:53> »
Don't forget there have been a lot of stealth retcons over the editions as well.

Tricks, abilities, powers have changed or been cut (grounding), figures in history have changed names and sexes (Hard Exit).

And writers of fiction over the years have had some great leeway in their narratives. (A dragon getting gunned down by a LMG...) that doesn't always stack up with the rules.

Its possible you remember correctly, but has since been changed.

(Like astral entities seeing and hearing everything verbatim on the physical plane)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.