NEWS

[SR5] Astral Defense Question

• 3 Replies

Major Doom

• Chummer
« on: <02-05-16/1438:29> »
In the meatworld, a character's Defense Test is Reaction + Intuition.  Same Attributes for Initiative too.

Going by the Astral Attributes Table (SR5, page 314), I see that Reaction in astral is handled by Intuition.  Makes sense, since Astral Initiative is Initiative x 2.  But then I look under Astral Combat on the next page, and the examples given for both unarmed astral attacks and astral attacks with weapon focus, are opposed by a Logic + Intuition roll.  But on the Astral Attributes Table, Logic is the astral equivalent of Agility.

Why isn't Astral Defense Intuition x 2, just like Astral Initiative?  Or things in astral are just wacky enough to make Defense Test Logic + Intuition?
"Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."
-- Jack Burton

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-05-16/1541:39> »
My guess is shoddy writing/editing.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <02-05-16/1948:44> »
Boils down to dumpstats and attributes. The importants for a mage are based on his tradition. By spreading the needed stats for given tasks over a wide range, your less likely to mechanically invalidate a tradition.

IE: if Intuition was used as a drain stat, astral combat, astral perception, and spell casting: why take any other tradition? Especially if its doubled for many of those tests?
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-08-16/0900:05> »
Basically what Reaver said. But you should be free to handle everything as the table dictates, since not using LOG to attack would also be a deviation from the table.