NEWS

Martial Arts & Blades

• 8 Replies

Highroller86

• Newb
« on: <01-23-16/1233:58> »
Can you guys (and/or gals) help me here please?
I was creating yet another new character who would happen to know some martial arts...
Prolly Pentjak-Silat Or Ninjutsu (is this how you spell that?)...
Know... Afaik both styles do use some type of bladed weapon(s).
What if... What if my character would try to attack with a certain technique that utilizes blades?
Would i have to roll for unarmed-- yes, i DO realize that it said UN-ARMED right there, but hear me out please --combat,
or for blades instead?
I mean it couldn't it just be that my character is not that good in using blades in general, but very highly skilled in
this particular martial art that just happens to utilize blades?
Also: if i am not mistaken, SR3 had certain techniques for a couple of martial art styles that DID allow you to
use a blade or club... Arnis De Mano would be one of them. Did that change with 5th edition?

Also: If i want to purchase a unarmed combat specialization for a martial art during character creation,
would that cost me the 7 karma stated in run&gun or just the 1 skillpoint as usual for specializations during creation?

Many many thanks! :D

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #1 on: <01-23-16/1254:42> »
Martial Arts are a specialty of the Unarmed skill, which is where the hand-to-hand training comes in. If your particular form also covers weapons, then you will need to train the appropriate weapon skills as well. You cannot simply replace the Blades skill with your specialized Unarmed instead.

The vague way skills are applied basically rules it out. Pilot Ground covers any kind of vehicle from unicycle to big rig. Automatics covers any firearm that can shoot multiple bullets. And Unarmed covers empty handed attacks, while Blades covers shivs to claymores.

If you go strictly by the Core rules, then a Martial Art specialty only costs you 1 skill point. But all that gives you is an extra +2 to Unarmed checks.

If you go by Run & Gun, you are purchasing access to all the extra techniques and stuff that they added. Which is why it costs more, b/c you're getting spiffy moves to go with it.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-23-16/1434:12> »
and you especially cant just buy a cyberweapon like cyberspurs or forearm snap blades or get two for the +1 reach and use the cyberweapon specialty and have a blade weapon that uses the unarmed skills

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-23-16/1500:59> »
Also: If i want to purchase a unarmed combat specialization for a martial art during character creation,
would that cost me the 7 karma stated in run&gun or just the 1 skillpoint as usual for specializations during creation?

Specializations can be purchased with skill points (1 skill point) or from your starting Karma (7 Karma).  That bit from Run & Gun is confusing, I know, but I don't take it to mean that it forbids you from getting a specialization with a skill point.

If you go strictly by the Core rules, then a Martial Art specialty only costs you 1 skill point. But all that gives you is an extra +2 to Unarmed checks.

If you go by Run & Gun, you are purchasing access to all the extra techniques and stuff that they added. Which is why it costs more, b/c you're getting spiffy moves to go with it.

Actually, a martial arts style (from Run & Gun) is different than a martial arts specialization.  "Martial arts styles may also be selected as specializations..." (Run & Gun page 128).

Another thing to note (the red box in Run & Gun page 135) is that martial arts styles can be taken as specializations for more than just the unarmed skill.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-23-16/1626:24> »
And Unarmed Combat is used for melee cyberweapons.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #5 on: <01-23-16/1631:41> »
I thought we were talking about Ninjas, with swords. Not Wolverine with claws in his fists.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

adzling

« Reply #6 on: <01-23-16/1632:35> »
Some martial arts do apply to blades skill.

adzling

« Reply #7 on: <01-23-16/1636:09> »
FYI we allow folks to buy the martial art and if you buy the speciality for same it adds +2 dice for any techniques you attempt in that martial art.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-23-16/1729:16> »
I thought we were talking about Ninjas, with swords. Not Wolverine with claws in his fists.
Its the Sixth World; the two are not mutually exclusive.

Take Pentjak-Silak and Ninjutsu, since the OP mentioned those specifically. Called Shot (Break Weapon, Disarm), Dim Mak, Randori (Vitals), and Silken Storm could all easily be used with both swords and cyberweapons.

Since the OP can't substitute his unarmed combat skill for use with blades (unless the GM allows it), this suggestion offers a compromise. I think it's highly likely that some practitioners of many martial arts would adapt to and incorporate modern technology and magic in their styles. This is a good example of how a character concept could bridge the gap between old traditions and modern ways.
« Last Edit: <01-23-16/1734:33> by Herr Brackhaus »