NEWS

[5e IC] Call of Fate [2076 Game Thread]

• 1173 Replies

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #1140 on: <01-07-17/0020:13> »
Deckard, in his Magician outfit, was ignoring pretty much everyone still passing through the Astral Gate and back to the ironically safer Below. All his attention was to the horizon, trying, with the help of a strange contraption of lenses - what was his goggle in his plane - to make up the details of what was happening at ground zero.

Part of him wanted to be with Al and ISaint, but the better part of him knew better. He had to make sure his Spirit was good with maintaining the unnatural speed he was granting them all. But he also knew that Robyn and himself were the last pillars should their two companions fail.

They would have to go back to Earth and destroy the Astral Gate...

All he could see from the distance was the Dragon and his Elementals, but what he felt was bad, evil, like a wave of despair and hatred. He look at Robyn and grabbed her hand. They'll both be back, very soon...
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1141 on: <01-07-17/1303:04> »
Robyn squeezes Rick's hand in gratitude.  Her sensors do not have the range to allow her to see back to the now ruined temple, but her mind can picture what Al and ISaint are doing there and the danger they are in.  "I know, Rick, thanks.  He said he would be back and I will wait here for him because I believe that this is the only exit he knows about."

Suddenly, her sensors warn her of movement to their rear and she sees the shimmer of the gate just before the Iron Company starts coming through from Below.  Dressed as Roman Legionaires, they form up into organized units, waiting for the command to move forward.  Robyn sees four really huge trolls come through, each pulling a large catapult and she realizes that they have committed their Shock Guard, an elite unit.  And they are not alone.  Men and women dressed much like Rick come through to stand amid the ranks of the soldiers, bringing with them spirits of different kinds to patrol the flanks and act as scouts.  More people keep arriving even as the Iron Company vanguard sets off for the temple.  Words are said and spells are cast and the entire group begins to move with an almost impossible speed.

More Iron Company soldiers deploy through the gate to begin setting up defensive positions around the gate even as other people come through.  Some of these are monstrous and malformed and most are armed with what appears to be pitchforks or cleavers, with an odd assortment of swords and spears while others have hooks or metal claws for hands.  Two drakes walk among them, providing some direction as the rather large group moves off after the Iron Company.  The people of Below are going to war to defend their homes.

Robyn is so involved in watching the people around her that she almost misses the arrival of a third drake leading a huge Hell Hound and her heart skips a beat as Al2 walks up and sits at her feet as if nothing had happened.  She looks at the woman walking beside him and mouths a thank you as she sinks to her kneed beside the beast.  She stands and looks at Rick.  "I know you want to be there.  Why not go with these people and see if you can help?"

"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

adamu

« Reply #1142 on: <01-07-17/1335:35> »
As Isaint gloated to the Abomination, Al saw from a distance that the hippie cavalry had arrived. "Well I'll shit pearls. This gon' be awkward...."

He slapped Isaint on the shoulder and said, "Powwow's over, baby. Places ta go, angry hippies ta warn off." Even as he spoke he was backpedaling quickly away from the FAB miasma, which was billowing and expanding exponentially. Soon the little man was forced to use all his demon-granted speed to stay ahead of the cloud, and he rushed toward the incoming reinforcements, waving his arms wildly. "GIT THE HELL BACK, DEGENERATES! 'FRAID WE DONE GONE SCORCHED EARTH ON THIS SUMBITCH - SO BEST GIT OUT WHILE THE GITTIN'S GOOD!"

They were already going to be persona non grata with these freaks for destroying their little alternate reality - didn't need the deaths of half their soldiery on their heads as well....

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1143 on: <01-07-17/1428:53> »
The vanguard of the Iron Company shifts position and rays of energy from weapons that look much like Al's flash out in the direction of the blue man.  A group of spirits and heinously misshapen monsters had appeared behind Al, racing to catch and destroy this.......this abomination that has dared to try to stop the summoning rite.  Has had the effrontery to actually harm their Mistress.  He must be stopped and brought back to face her anger.  These monsters have preternatural speed and are closing on the man rapidly when the spears of energy catch them.  They had focused too much on their prey that they had not noticed the new arrivals or, perhaps, had not judged them any sort of threat.  Howls of agony rise from tortured throats as the racing horrors writhe momentarily in a hitherto unknown agony before the creatures die, falling to the ground is pieces or just vanishing. 

Words are spoken and a group of people not dressed as soldiers steps forward, arms raised as one and a VOICE rings out from all the throats simultaneously.  A massive mana barrier of protective sorcery  goes up between the soldiers and the approaching miasma.  It would be hard to describe the effect when the billowing mass contacts the wall, but people would later describe it as something probably only even seen once in a lifetime, in a sort of pray that you never see it again sort of manner.  For a few moments, the wall holds then begins to fail rather dramatically as the FAB cloud begins to eat at it.  One of the wizards, old and wrinkled by years, turns to the commander of the Iron Company. "The man speaks true, Colonel.  This is something that we probably cannot stop here.  The wall will hold for a bit, but you will have to pull back to the gate.  It needs to be closed so that what is here does not get to our homes.  Some of us will remain to reinforce the wall as best we can, but that will not last long.  It has been a pleasure serving with you.  See that my daughter..............well you know."

The two men clasp arms then the mage and several others he selects step forward and begin pouring their strength into the wall, reinforcing it where needed.  It is certain that this will only give the others a bit of extra time and they take advantage of it.  The Iron Company commander gives orders that must be obeyed and the unit turns to return to the gate.  He looks over at Al before leaving. "You are a hero; you and your fellows, and your actions will not be forgotten.  The monstrosity that is being unleashed here would have taken all of us by surprise without your presence.  Will you come back with us or go to help your friend?"

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1144 on: <01-07-17/1445:13> »
Grateful, Isaint grabbed Al's hand to get on his feet again. The fall had taken more wind out of him than he realized. At least the Nightmare had other concerns for the moment.
"Shit, too late for the party but not too late to get into trouble."
The miasma had now found the center of the invocation circle and according to the flashes of lightning and black flames the entity was busy fighting back - likewise the FAB was busy eating up that extra energy. Isaint guessed that for every liter of burned or fried miasma it spawned three in response.

Reaching the protective globe did nothing to slow him down: "Don't stop to babble you fools, it eats magic..." underscored by the sudden dimming of the barrier.

He wanted to say more, but the incessant rage of his patron made him realize that Celedyr had just swooped down from the sky and landed behind him, sliding through the barrier as if it wasn't there. But before he could turn around, the Great Dragon had turned himself back into his meta human form and was passing towards the exit in an elegant but almost hasty way. 'I won't forget this, Pankratius.' Then he was gone and the Flowers had a confused look on their face.

Isaint didn't care to elaborate. If a dragon fleeing wasn't enough of a hint, he wouldn't be able to get them to move faster. Instead he grabbed for Al's shoulder and pulled his friend with him towards the exit.

« Last Edit: <01-07-17/1527:53> by Jack_Spade »
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1145 on: <01-07-17/1514:55> »
What had been an advance becomes a retreat as the Iron Company host withdraws back to the gate.  Already the word has gone out to those following and they have also turned about, albeit in a more disorganized manner.  Robyn watches as her sensors begin to show the returning mob and she stops some to ask what is happening, being told that the plane is being eaten and that all must leave so that the gate can be closed.  She chokes on the question she most wants to ask and lets it sit unspoken on her lips.  Her faithful companion stands but does not leave, providing a bulwark against the tide of those who are.  Soon, the loos mob is gone, the drakes remaining to oversee the retreat.  Already the Iron Company defenders here have begun to dismantle the defensive positions that they had constructed and are awaiting orders.

The unnatural speed provided by the remaining wizards allows the main body of the  Iron Company to make good time in their retreat.  The huge mana barrier flickers once then again then collapses behind them.  The FAB miasma has destroyed the barrier but it was slowed for a time and its momentum is next to nothing for a brief minute before it begins expanding outward again, rolling over the forms of the wizards who had remained behind to reinforce the barrier.  It is certainly possible that the awakened among those retreating as well as those near the gate, can hear the tortured cries of their fellows before they are suddenly stilled. 

Robyn is not awakened and cannot hear the cries, but she sees the shock among the soldiers flowing past her and knows that something has happened.  Men reach out to take her arm; to guide her from this place, but she shakes them off.  Others are dissuaded from touching her by the monster that guards her.  She had said she would wait here on this spot and here she will wait.  So it is that the retreating Iron Company soldiers flow around this one person and her hound, as if a river moving past a boulder.  Robyn/Alyce has her sensors tuned for a particular person and is searching among those fleeing past her, hoping that this time he has kept his promise to come back for her.

adamu

« Reply #1146 on: <01-07-17/1652:48> »
"Ol' Al's date's right here, Cap'n," Al replied to Hippie Commander, indicating Isaint as he came abreast. "Anyone else wants ta hang back, play hero, that's none o' my nevermind." He threw the man a salute as the big ork dragged him away back towards the Portal.

And then, in a half-orderly, half-panicked rush of soldiers and irregulars, they were through. Isaint was back to his look-of-the-week and Al's skin was no longer blue but his leather jacket brown again. Not knowing what sort of unnatural conflagration might accompany the sealing of the Rift, they kept moving, and immediately found Rick and Alyce. "Keep movin', people," Al said. "Lesbians hitched, unspeakable evil thwarted, an entire metaplane destroyed. Where I come from that makes it beer time."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1147 on: <01-07-17/1725:52> »
Alyce's sensors pick up Al as he approaches and she smiles that smile that every woman has when her man returns from a dangerous day at work.  She can no longer see him with her eyes but she hungrily looks him up and down, even as she shakes her head. "Please, Al'  This place is still my home and I would like to see the portal closed and sealed and know that the people here are safe.  I am sure that it will not take long."

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1148 on: <01-07-17/1739:12> »
Isaint didn't speak at once - instead he opened his third eye again to give himself and Al a once over. Fortunately the transition seemed to have restored the FAB back into the sealed hardshell case - or at least their corporeal one celled form. At least he could make out any contamination on Al or himself.
He gave Robyn a moment to hug Al before he replied to the short guy: "The loremaster of the dragons just a moment ago called me by my real first name - I definitely need a beer. And afterwards I might have to burn my real SIN and identity for good.
Not to mention what the Old One will have to say about the whole affair. Yeah, beer and dinner are definitive in order now.

As for waiting around: I have a simple rule in regard to accidents and catastrophes: If you aren't a helper you are in the way of the helpers."

talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #1149 on: <01-07-17/1826:41> »
"You an' me thinkin' alike again, compadre. But reckon the lady's earned her show." His head trying to stay cool but his body betraying him, he disengaged from her embrace. "Man does have a point, toots. Yer jist seein' through a drone anyways...leave one close, an' we'll step back jist enough ta make sure we's no hindrance ta the Satanists. We'll stay close enough ta step in if things some way go south afore the job's done."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1150 on: <01-07-17/1833:05> »
Alyce nods and steps back, the wisdom of the advice overriding her concern.  She allows the men to lead her a bit away, but not too far.  "I can wait from here and not be in the way.  I can be of use if they need a physician."  She turns to ISaint.  "Do you think it worked?  And are you two clear of any sort of FAB infection?  There are enough mages right here to give you a clean up if you need it."

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #1151 on: <01-08-17/0140:16> »
She stands and looks at Rick.  "I know you want to be there.  Why not go with these people and see if you can help?"

His comforting look dropped. Be there? Heck no! Love the thrill but ain't no fool enough to stay around a ground zero of the end of the world and surrounded by a FAB cloud.
Then he saw the Iron Company men and monsters marching in...
Guys, don't...  really... bad idea... Everyone were impervious to his plea. 

Al and ISaint made it back though, and in spite of the façade he was showing, boy he was happy to see them. Dragons, Drakes passing by, who cared? The people he could call his friends were back and safe. Waiting for everyone, he exited the plane...

"The loremaster of the dragons just a moment ago called me by my real first name - I definitely need a beer. And afterwards I might have to burn my real SIN and identity for good.
Not to mention what the Old One will have to say about the whole affair. Yeah, beer and dinner are definitive in order now.

As for waiting around: I have a simple rule in regard to accidents and catastrophes: If you aren't a helper you are in the way of the helpers."

Well, beer and dinner is on me, where ever that is. Nice job guys.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1152 on: <01-09-17/0424:09> »
Isaint nodded, taking the compromise and went with the group to a place out of sight. Only then did he take of his helmet. The hair on his beard and head had turned grey white, his eyes looked sunken and his skin looked somehow brittle.
Now that the rush of the adrenaline had subsided he felt every bone and muscle in his body hurting.
"After beer and dinner I'll have to take my leave from you for a while. Not only have I an old life to leave behind but also a Nightmare mark to get rid off. I know a guy from the Vatican that might be able to help me with that. Great exorcist but not really a people person.
But I don't want to give up this team, so I'll be back."
talk think matrix

adamu

« Reply #1153 on: <01-09-17/0744:43> »
Isaint's mention of not wanting to 'give up this team' sent an unexpected shiver of wariness through Al's liver. He had tremendous respect for Tusker-of-a-Thousand-Faces, and would work with him anytime, so it took him a moment to figure out why he inwardly cringed at the ork's words.

He supposed that any acknowledgement of a 'team' meant acknowledging that he was actually planning on continuing this line of work. To be sure it had been an interesting year, but, well, the idea of committing to any particular vocation for, to be fair, any length of time was a bit off-putting. And that went double or triple for personal associations. People came, people went. Friendships were all fine and dandy, but once they reached the point where they required time and maintenance...next thing you knew you couldn't decide what trid program to watch without consulting someone first.

Long and the short of it, what Isaint had said had held a hint of a suggestion of a wink at permanence - Al's archenemy.

The answer, of course, as with all philosophical conundrums, was to shrug and not give it a second thought. Que sera sera, and all that frog crap.

In the short distance, there was a surreal sound - or rather a sort of reversal of sound - as the rift they'd gone into and come back through fell into itself and was gone. A few of the gathered Satanists cheered, and Al figured that was par for the hippie course - already partying before their friends' bodies were cold.

But that was no matter to him - his own friends were all alive and well, and their next stop was beer and victuals.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1154 on: <01-09-17/1231:13> »
In the restaurant, Robyn orders food but is a bit unsure of the beer as she has never been a big beer drinker.  She needn't have worried. The beer tastes great going down.  After a few bites, she looks at her companions and realizes that she will miss ISaint and Rick if they just go off.  She gives a tentative smile and says, "Hey, I know this might sound crazy to you guys, but, although I have actually seen both you, ISaint and you, Rick, I would like to trace your faces into my memory.  Would you mind if I touched you?" She blushes a bit.  "I already have Al memorized."

She reaches down and slips a snack to Al2 and pats the massive head of her Hell Hound companion.