NEWS

Stormy Waters Side Thread: Deckard & Isaint: A Murder of Crows

• 40 Replies

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <01-28-16/0104:32> »
Deckard came back in his body, his eyes wide opened. He looked at his bag, reach for something inside, and pull out a small plastic bag, which he opened.

He picked from it a few gummy bears that he shoved in his mouth. Still chewing he presented the bag to ISaint and added:

This can take some time, why don't tell me a bit more about you. Shedim, Ghouls, Vampires, magic theories, you don't mess around.
Rick Deckard - Circles of Fate
Kachina - Shaking the Shadows

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <01-29-16/0437:38> »
Isaint thought for a moment, than took a handful of gummy bears himself.
"As you wish. I got my training with the KSK - Kommando Spezial Kräfte - in the ADL. Decided shortly afterwards that the private sector would be more lucrative. Made a few unprofessional decisions while working as a bodyguard that landed me ultimately in intensive care.
That's when my mentor found me. St. George the dragon slayer. Turned my life around and gave me a purpose again.
Got myself back on my feet and started as a free lancer. Turns out that you need my kind of talents a lot more if your opponents are super humanly fast or tough - and that happens to be what the infected are by and large.

Some time later I was recruited into a team - shadow runners - who specialized in the same thing: Hunting horrors.
Nex, Carnifex and Interfice. Nex was the leader, gorgeous elven lady and a very accomplished street sam. Carnifex was a human shaman. He is the one who told me about blood spirits. Interfice was the dwarven decker, teached me a few things about computers and matrix searches.
They had specialized in finding and eliminating predators. I was hired as a sharp shooter.

In our first mission together we rooted out a bunch of feral ghouls - easy job in retrospect, but I was as nervous as a virgin before her wedding night. They have no special powers beyond being able to perceive you in absolute darkness and being slightly tougher than a normal human.

There followed a few other gigs until we were hired to hunt down a serial killing vampire. Turned out to be an unfortunate teen that got a bit more goth than he expected. Really, no sophistication - only raw speed and strength. And regeneration. That is the crux with those infected, you can't subdue them, you have to kill them, or the next second they are up and kicking again. Destroy the brain or the spine - that's the only solution if you don't want to fiddle around with stakes and UV-lamps. Or be a mage with some killer spell - that works too.
That boy had created himself some kind of blood doll collection of all the girls he liked in school, but rejected him. Most where to far gone to really ever come back. Had to nail the kid with before he could kill Interfice. Took of the dwarf's ear actually, but got one in the kid's head.
I didn't sleep well for a few weeks after that. Nex helped me deal with that.

It was three months later that I had my run in with Shedim. We got hired to investigate rumors of a ghoul infestation beneath a children's hospital in Prague.
Carnifex noticed immediately that something was wrong with the place.
To make a long story short, a Master Shedim had taken over the head chirurg of the clinic.
He was killing kids in his care and filled them with Shedim. It ended with us having to fight our way out of the morgue. That was the worst day in my life - worse than when I was shot. And as if that wasn't enough, Nex hesitated at a critical moment and was killed. Than it was my turn and it's only due to the intervention of my patron, that I found the strength to shoot her body, before the spirit inside could use it as a weapon against us. Carnifex made us run out before he leveled the whole building with his bound earth elementals.

Since than I've been working on and off as investigator for cases like this one. Some things just can't be tolerated in this world."

talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <02-09-16/0039:03> »
Still chewing on the gummy bears, Deckard listen with attention to ISaint story.
Whao, you've seen some crazy drek too. Shedim hunting? I know of better ways to spend your week-end!.

But we both have at least some experience with infected and that's going to prove to be useful. I'm glad you're here. I'm usually the first to run into danger, but I intend on keeping it as safe as possible this time....

He paused, his thoughts clearly somewhere else. When his attention came back, he smiled at ISaint, willing to share where he went:

You see, my wife is waiting for me in London and I don't intend on letting a crazy creature keep me in those european cities for too long, no matter how pretty they are.

He grabbed his comlink and punched a few keys, clearly oblivious he could have been much faster with Trodes. The commlink projected a trid image of a brunette woman. She had a small frame and fair skin but intense green eyes. She was attractive but would not win any modelling contest. The way Deckard was admire it was telling of how much he was in love with this women.

Her name is Cora, she an Matrix wizard. Really she can do marvellous thing with computers and all. I have no clue how she does it, nor what she does, really, but her attunement with the Matrix is quite similar to how I am attuned to the Gaia Sphere. Quite admirable.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <02-09-16/0350:29> »
Isaint couldn't help but smile at this display of genuine love. "Seems like you hit the jackpot then. Because I'm in the business of bringing people back alive to their families. Cora must be a very lucky woman to have you."
Isaint hesitated for a moment than made a snap decision:
"I have to admit I'm a bit paranoid where my real persona is concerned. I'm pretty good at changing my face through my abilities.
But I have a feeling we'll need to cooperate fully and trust each other if we are to fight this monster - since it's very likely we'll face something perfectly capable of manipulating others or even changing it's appearance.

So I'll extend to you something I don't do often:
I'll tell you my name, my real name that is, for I believe that names have power.

Isaint or rather Ice Saint refers to one of the five Icy Saints - weather saints people prayed to to protect their harvest and avert famine.
My real name is Pankratius.

So if you are unsure about whether it's me you are facing, you can ask me for my real name. I'll do the same with the name of your wife."
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <02-09-16/2053:34> »
Deckard extended his hand to ISaint.
I appreciate the trust. You can count on me to keep it safe. A man of faith, respectable. Difficult in our field of work, but respectable. 

Suddenly Deckard cocked his head as if someone was speaking in his ear. HIs eyes then stared back at ISaint:
She's at the train station! We can't let get away!

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <02-10-16/1759:24> »
Isaint was on his feat immediately.
"Get your bike ready, this might be our only chance before she leaves for yet another country."
Without waiting, Isaint had slung his backpack over his shoulder and was running out of the room.
Reaching the front, his bike was already waiting for him - called by DNI.
While he was racing through the deserted nightly streets he first looked at what trains were going next.
Only two options.
He called Rick:
<<There are two trains: One overnighter to Paris arrives within the next half hour and a commuter train heading over the border in about a quarter of an hour. I'll try to find her. Be ready to give me some magic back up if she starts to sling blood magic against me. If it comes to it, I'll try to keep her attention on me.>>

The station came into view. It was an old one, made with marble and old glass windows. Only four tracks lay behind with one being a terminal. So far after midnight there probably weren't a lot of people around, but he didn't pull out his rifle. If it came to it, he was able to assemble it in three seconds - but that would probably cause some severe backlash from security - better to keep that in reserve. If it came to it, his Warhawk would have to do the trick with hand loaded Ex-Ex ammunition.

He didn't wait for the bike to stop, but jumped off, stumbling towards the entrance as the autopilot began to slow down and searched for a parking spot.
'Showtime'

Isaint entered the building.
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <02-12-16/0135:59> »
I rented a Car, left my bike in London. Let's catch her before she runs off.
The small electric Renault car wasn't made for speed, but in the tiny street, that was plenty enough.

<<There are two trains: One overnighter to Paris arrives within the next half hour and a commuter train heading over the border in about a quarter of an hour. I'll try to find her. Be ready to give me some magic back up if she starts to sling blood magic against me. If it comes to it, I'll try to keep her attention on me.>>

You take the heat, I watch you r back, sounds like a plan to me.
When Deckard arrived, ISaint was already about to enter the building. They had less than 10 min before the next train would enter the station. They had to hurry. Deckard followed ISaint inside the station, looking as calm as he could pretend to be. He had to admit, though small, the antique look made the station quite an eye sight. He particularly liked the marble.

The sight didn't last long however as the Mage switched his perception to the Astral world. He looked at each travelers to see if they were Awaken or had some sort of Magic in them, but nothing. 
He approached the Human looking Ork: Can't see her here. Want to check the tracks?

« Last Edit: <02-12-16/0138:46> by obidancer »

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <02-12-16/0432:06> »
Isaint looked around, frowning: "Where did your spirit spot her? We can try the tracks, but I have a feeling she'll keep hidden somewhere until the last minute to enter the train. End or beginning of the train most likely where the service entrances are.
There is nothing to it, we'll have to split up. I'll take the north side. If you find her do not engage, observe and try to follow her unobtrusively. I'll do the same.
Damn, a decent decker would be worth gold right now. I really need to get me one of those agents one of these days."

Isaint nodded towards Rick and ran off to the steps leading down the tunnel back to track 4 where in less than five minutes a commuter train would arrive to take the wageslaves over the border at this ungodly hour.
Passing a few smokers who had also acquired steaming paper cups of Soycaf, he hurried on.
Infected had troubles passing for human in daylight, but at this hour everyone was bundled up against the cold and looked gray and ill.
Isaint opened his third eye to look around - no trace of any magic and the background count was minimal - mostly boredom and the ever so slight annoyance about missed or late trains.

Isaint reached the end of the platform and looked around. There was a small closet for tools and cleaning supplies he guessed. A discreet press of the handle confirmed it to be locked.
The AR display announced that the train was now imminent and Isaint could already see the faint lights in the early mists getting brighter by the second.
And still he didn't see her.
<<Rick, do you have a visual? Unless she has extraordinary masking abilities, she isn't at my end. Look for anyone not drinking Soycaf or eating something. The infected have trouble keeping normal food down.>>
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #23 on: <03-08-16/2306:36> »
The Astral World was a marvel on its own. Feelings and emotions became substance, auras turned tangible. Deckard had always felt privileged to not only be able to perceive it but fully project into it and forgo all limitation of the human body. Yet the human body was definitely the best medium in the meat world, and he focused on his Astral perception to spot their target.

Their was a gathering of strong emotions at the end of the platform. Deckard approached it. He noticed four beings dispersing away from another one, almost at the edge of the platform.  The Aura of that last one was powerful and... twisted...  and somehow familiar. That was her, as close as he could remember from his Psychometric vision.

He revert to his normal sight to notice ISaint's AR message via his contacts image link. He lifted up his gloved hand and activated his subvocal mic when he felt a strong shove on his shoulder.  He quickly realized that being solely focused on his target, he had ignored the four 'kids' walking by him. 'Punks' was more appropriate of a term.

The one that bumped into him started shouting in a foreign language: Et ta race, r'garde ou tu vas, du con. Deckard didn't have the time to answer about his ignorance of the language used than another shove on the back pushed him forward.

His eyes focused again on the serial killer woman, half a platform away. Wrapped in heavy clothes, he met her gaze and could picture a grin hidden behind the scarf.

<<Platform B. Visual. Now would be nice. >> The loud horn from the incoming train warned everyone to be careful and ready.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #24 on: <03-09-16/0359:30> »
Isaint started to sprint at this message. Suddenly, his sixth sense exploded - his hand crept for his gun even while he jumped over a toppled waste basket. He cleared a coffee dispenser and now had a clear view to the end of the platform.
What he saw made him redouble his efforts - Rick was in deadly peril and he didn't even seem to notice.
Three punks had encircled him and kept him occupied while a fourth just got ready to push him onto the tracks for the oncoming train. On some unconscious level Isaint was impressed by this instinctual pack behavior.
"RICK! Behind you!"

He wasn't sure if the mage had heard him - the blaring of the train's horn almost droned him out.

Without another thought, Isaint let go of the Savalette and instead reached for the Warhawk. With a lightning fast motion, he brought the gun up while a mental command spun the chamber in position.

The gunshot was deafening even above the roar of the train. The heavy gel round impacted on the sneak attacker and drove him to the ground.
Shooting in full run on a snowy train platform with a high caliber weapon wasn't the smartest thing to do as Isaint learned the very next second. He stumbled, but managed to turn it into a roll.

But the shot was enough for the punks to attack in earnest now.
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <03-10-16/0132:23> »
Deckard wasn't a Combat mage, but punks, he could handle. With unnatural reflexes, he crossed his arms in front of his body with each hand facing at one of his young assailant by his sides. A wave of kinetic energy slammed them and both were send tumbling on the ground. The first kid attempted a strong punch that almost connected but  only grazed the tip of the magician's chin. The ganger's feet suddenly were off the floor and it wasn't long before he was floating a good foot in the air, a surprised and incredulous expression on his face.

Keeping a hand raised mid air palm up, as to sustain his spell, Deckard could see for the first time the youngster that was downed by ISaint. That was what was called teamwork. The train arrived on the tracks. The doors opened and a female automated voice announced : Gare de Leuven, deux minutes d'arrêt. Deckard looked at ISaint to point to him the target but the look on his face was worrisome, and the way the handful of remaining passengers were running away in total panic.

When he looked back in the direction of the woman, a spirit was finishing materializing in an agonizing howl. A tall and big skeleton covered in raw and sore covered muscles came to life. Well ain't you ugly!... Deckard whispered.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #26 on: <03-10-16/0336:21> »
Isaint had come up in a crouch just in time to see the end of the materialization. But his focus was on the woman - the monster.
Fighting spirits was like fighting the symptoms of a disease and the solution was the same: Kill the cause.

A mental command had turned the chamber two instances further. He aimed at her and pulled the trigger.
Again the heavy gun roared and sent a hand loaded armor piercing discarding sabot round towards the creatures head.
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <03-10-16/1325:12> »
ISaint was pretty sure of his shot, her brain should have exploded in the gorest of fashion, adequate for her Blood beliefs. Yet it seemed the bullet never reached its target. Either magically deflected or a bad shot, all ISaint could see is the blur of the woman who jumped through the open train door at an inhuman speed, and disappeared inside. 

Deckard drew his beloved gun from his coat as the horror creature started to advance toward them with a disturbing confidence. He sarcastically mention to ISaint:
Sure, leave it to Deckard to handle the Bloody Thing!

He released the youngster from his telekinetic hold and simply announced: Take you friends and run. Far.

Deckard could feel the reassuring presence of a silver coin he always carried in his pocket. Through this token, he was able to create Mana barrier, that could prove quite useful right now!

He extended his hand and cast the spell to put a mana wall in between the creature and everyone else.

To ISaint, he added: I mean it, go get her, Champion. We can't let her go away

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #28 on: <03-11-16/0401:07> »
"We won't."
Isaint was on his feet and jumped into the nearest open carriage door. But instead of running towards the creature, he took half a second to look around. With a quick step he went to the side of the train and pulled the emergency break. Immediately a ringing started and a voice came from a speaker: "Emergency system triggered - automated halt engaged, please state the nature of the emergency."
"Murderous vampire on board - evacuate."
Numerous passengers looked on in stunned confusion as for the scene that was playing out outside as at the same time Isaint had begun to sprint down the isle, gun in hand, looking for his target.

Meanwhile the blood spirit hat fully manifested. Deckard guessed it to be a rating 6 at the very least. A redish light coalesced around its unnatural, visceral form and suddenly the people in the train closest to the beast began screaming. Bloody tears began to appear everywhere on their faces and those who hadn't closed their eyes from sheer pain now had pure red eyeballs as blood began to fill them from the inside.

[spoiler]
Hemorrhage power:
Hemorrhage: 12d6t5 5
Average Joe resists with 6 dice (STR+WIL)
Hemorrhage resist: 6d6t5 4
Wow, that could have been a lot worse
Hemorrhage resist: 11d6t5 3
Typically,
[/spoiler]

Isaint stumbled as his body was wrecked with pain and a red veil was pulled across his vision. Yet he ran on towards the target
talk think matrix

obidancer

• Omae
« Reply #29 on: <03-22-16/2048:40> »
Deckard was keeping the Spirit at bay with his Mana Barrier but he knew it wouldn't last long before the monstrous form pass through. He had hoped for the train to depart and take all the passengers away from the platform and was surprised to hear the emergency brake alert and the passengers starting to pour out of the train, with the Spirit almost in reach of a few innocent souls.

Then the horror started. He could feel the spirit magical power emanate from it and almost as a reflexe he lifted his own magic as a protection. But he saw first hand what was happening to the passenger exiting the train. His fear had come true, this spirit was a Great Form Spirit, capable of killing or severely hurted anyone around him in no time. His gun, no matter how powerful, could only do minimal damage.

The Blood spirit punched through the Mana Barrier as Deckard simply dropped it. There was only one thing to do he could think of at this time and he knew it was gonna hurt. He had never attempted it but he had to tap into his abilities.
His focus went to the old leather wrist band he was wearing on his left arm. The old fetish was what allowed him to project the kinetic force he had used an instant ago against two of his assailant. Now was time to see how much energy he could gather.

As the beast approached him with a deadly look on his deformed face, Deckard took a step back a deep breath as he tried to connect with the Mana he was sensing around him and with a loud scream he unleashed a powerful blast of magically created kinetic energy at the Spirit. Where most of time he had used that spell, it was barely visible, this time was different.  Streaks of light surrounded him, and the air crackled almost like lightning was forming around. Deep inside him he felt this energy growing and running through his body and his arm and through the fetish bracelet.  There was no being subtle. The clout was focused and hit the Spirit square in its center mass. It got ejected by the force of the shock and before it got to fell off  the platform and onto the opposite tracks it simply disintegrated back into its Plane.

The light around him disappeared And Deckard stood still in his attack stance, his left hand still pointed at where the spirit previously stood, his other hand holding his revolver. His breathing was heavy as he was almost terrified by his own power.  The crowd kept fleeing and Deckard turned toward the opened door, hoping ISaint move to stop the train had been the right one.

[spoiler]
Force 13 Clout spell
Clout attack: 16d6t5 5
Edge reroll: 10d6t5 3
Total 8 successes

Spirit Dodge: 12d6t5 3 + Spirit Dodge Magic: 6d6t5 2
Total 5 successes
Total 3 Net Hits

Spirit resistance: 6d6t5 2
Total Damage 14 Stun

Drain resistance vs DR 8 : 15d6t5 8 !!Holy Molly
[/spoiler]