NEWS

Cybersingularity and Prosthetic Limbs

• 6 Replies

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« on: <01-13-16/1700:39> »
So... let's say you want to take advantage of the full benefits of cybersingularity seeker quality (getting +2 to Willpower by replacing 4 limbs with cyberlimbs). Does a Prosthetic Limb qualify as contributing to this bonus? I can see that it's low nuyen cost and 0 essence cost might lean towards no, but the limb is technically a cyberlimb and that low cost comes with some big disadvantages.

My intent is to perhaps replace the limb with a more advanced cyberlimb when character has the nuyen, as the character doesn't want to pay for a used, low stat limb and replace that later (more money, more essence waste).

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <01-13-16/1716:47> »
I don't think it's technically a cyberlimb at all. Remember that losing a limb due to injury doesn't damage your ESS this edition. Jamming ware into your body does. A prosthetic is basically an assistive device that's trying to get you to be able to function as if you never lost the limb traumatically to begin with. That's different than ware, which is all about transhumanism through replacement of the flesh, which harms the metahuman soul.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #2 on: <01-13-16/1725:48> »
Chrome Flesh pg 54, Cyber Singularity Seeker
You believe that the more chrome you get, the closer you get to some sort of point of nirvana, of hitting a singularity where you blend man and machine to perfection.

Pg 86, Primitive Prosthetics
From the wooden (!) pegleg and hook hand of antiquity to the unpowered metal and plastic hybrids of a century ago, these prosthetics all offer extremely limited results for an extremely limited price.

The point of Seeker, is that you are striving to become Robo-cop. You believe that replacing squishy with chrome will make you more awesome-er. And you feel better about yourself if you've succeeded in replacing all your weak, pathetic appendages with superior robot parts.

Replacing your weak, pathetic flesh and bone with... weak, pathetic plastic parts is not going to make you feel as awesome.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <01-13-16/1801:51> »
I agree. I didn't think it would, but Chummer gave a character the bonus and I became curious. It is technically listed right under the heading: cyberlimb, in CF, and functions like a worse than typical flesh limb. I can see cyber-singularity as also a bit flesh-hating and see how someone would want to rid themselves as of much flesh as possible on their way to be more chromed, and to them, it is better to have an unmotorized prosthetic than their flesh arm. This character didn't get a prosthetic because of an injury, but out of intent.

I have a character who I am trying to fit a lot of cyberlimb 'ware. I was trying to see if I could get 3 better quality cyberlimbs and a prosthetic and then replace the prosthetic later and still get the Full Cybersingularity bonus. If I can't, it's better to just not get a fourth cyberlimb yet.

Marcus Gideon

• Omae
  • Certainly not a Technomancer...
« Reply #4 on: <01-13-16/1814:42> »
Keep in mind that neither Chummer nor Hero Lab are "official" Shadowrun programs. They're just made by people who enjoy the game and make programs.

I suspect the reason Chummer gave the bonus is b/c it was easier to put the Primitive Prosthetics in with the rest of the Cyberlimbs since they work the same way... and then programmed the Quality to look for "are there Cyberlimbs" in order to apply the bonus. So they just need to go back and put in some sort of "unless they're Prosthetics" clause in there.
The Matrix is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work…when you go to church…when you pay your taxes.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <01-13-16/1816:35> »
I know it's not official. I was curious when I saw I still had my willpower bonus when I was playing around with limbs.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #6 on: <01-13-16/2114:42> »
Don't get me wrong, I love Chummer.

For a free program made by a fan of SR, its a wonderful tool.... but it is not without issues and flaws.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.