NEWS

Power Gaming

• 320 Replies

Raiderjoseph

• Omae
  • When in doubt, blame the dragons.
« Reply #30 on: <01-08-16/1316:46> »
I must also note that people toss around the Stormwind Fallacy as some kind of irrefutable fact but it is very far from it and many people, myself included, consider it to be completely false.

Thus you prove your ignorance. Refusing to accept stormwind's fallacy doesn't actually make it untrue, the logic of it holds. Yes, you're not alone in refusing to accept it, many prejudice ignorant gamers do reject it, tragically.  But in end the gamers most hurt by their ignorance is themselves. 

At least he isnt using the, "Oh but your statement is a example of the "No True Scotsman" fallacy. You can't just exempt someone from a fandom just because they did something you dont agree with!" "They drew two underage characters..." "Its still a fallacy.", arguement. It doesnt matter what we all think as much as it matters as we keep civil and our common sense morality... unlike the jerk above.(That was a real conversation. I didnt make that up. I will not state the fandom in question. But I'll bet you 20 nuyen you can guess.)
From To<<Matrix message>>
Thoughts
Mentor
"As a Mage I have no issue with 'shoot the face first'. He deserves it and it's about time they stopped targeting me right from the go." -The Tekwych

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #31 on: <01-08-16/1345:47> »

Also, when PC donīt start out fully optimized, thereīs more room to grow. IMO, starting out with a low-cybered "rookie" Sam, earning the money and favours to get that used Level 2 Wired Reflexes with broken triggers and slowly descending into Cyberpsychosis is a much more satisfying roleplaying experience than just starting out as that escaped-clonewarrior-guy with 0.2 Essence and an 22+ Assault Rifle pool who ends every battle in under 3 seconds - at least when everyone at the table has build their Character just the same way.

This would be better facilitated if basically everything in this game wasn't over costed for post-chargen earnings (in both nuyen and karma - skills and stats are ludicrously overpriced at the higher levels for what amounts to +1 die, and I feel like the ware costs are set up to assume chargen expenditures). You start with as much as you can because there's no guarantee you'll ever be able to afford that shiny new Wired 2 even if you save for it all campaign. And yes that sucks, again that's a system issue with the suggested payouts. Growth can be fun if the system facilitates it, and not all systems do that very well.

My personal preference is to run games for people who build characters with broad sets of skills, because that means I don't have to just throw combat at the samurai or social situations at the face but can include everyone in everything
I feel like there's a fallacious assertion here. Any character can already get involved in any scene and the only relevant factor is player interest and if it makes sense for the character to be there. A troll Sam or antisocial decker can totally be in a snobby gala and be uncomfortable or out of their element and roleplay this and there probably will be no good reason to force them to make a test on an Etiquette dice pool of 3 or whatever unless the GM's goal is to make them feel bad for their build choices. This could be a fun scene to run and play in but that doesn't mean that mechanically enforced consequences are necessary. 

As to combat, everyone should be able to do something in combat because "the best run is one where you never fire a shot" is a nice conceit especially for a book but when it comes to an RPG it's just a meme, and I can't think of anything more boring than every run going down that way (because now you're penalizing the guy who played a gun bunny and the GM should be throwing complications at your neat and tidy perfect infiltration).

This statement, paradoxically, is decrying specialization while also asserting that people can't roleplay outside of their mechanical spec. And that's just not true at all. But not every roleplaying moment has to be fraught with dice rolls. It certainly can be, and maybe the rude decker does get ejected from the gala for being super inappropriate, but that should be a mere complication to the characters getting the McGuffin out of the panic room now that the decker has to work totally remotely, not mean the run is completely ruined and failed.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Facemage

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <01-08-16/1350:44> »
Hehe, I knew someone was going to go on about the "sample characters"...

For anyone responding to my specific post, note that I said "examples" and "example characters"; when I do this I'm not referring to the "Character Archetypes" that are listed on pages 112 through 127 (which absolutely have some problems, though I tend to think of them as less glaring than some here) but instead to any time an example is given.

Characters like Automatic Jane (Gymnastics 3 + Agility 5, page 135), Wombat (Pistols 4 + Agility 6 - modifiers 1, page 174), and Tesseract (Cybercombat X + Logic Y for 12 dice), and so on. These characters almost never have dice pools in the 12+ range. In other words, the examples given in the book constantly and consistently refer to characters with dice pools in the single or low double digits. That's all I'm saying.

Now, whether or not you play with high or low dice pools doesn't really matter; I do think it's a bad idea to mix and match player character where some have a wide spread skills with overall low dice pools and others have a very few skills with very high dice pools as this tends to lead to balancing issues, especially in combat.

I think the comments about having somewhat focused characters making Shadowrun easier for newcomers is a very good one; it's easier to wrap your head around the rules if you build a combat focused and optimized character as you only have to concern yourself with the combat rules. So the fact that a seemingly (because they may or may not be) inexperienced players ask questions about how to make a "good" character and receive feedback without having divulged much about the table overall isn't surprising.

In this respect, I think this specific subforum is a poor representation of the Shadowrun players in general; chances are that if you've played Shadowrun since 1st Edition, or even just began with 5th but have a firm grasp of the rules, you're not coming to ask advice on how to build your character. So by it's very nature this subforum will have a polarized audience; it's not that the vast majority of players are powergamers (and I don't mean that as a pejorative, merely as a broad label that may fit some people), it's just that people who are new to the game will inevitably ask the same kind of questions. And that is just fine.

My personal preference is to run games for people who build characters with broad sets of skills, because that means I don't have to just throw combat at the samurai or social situations at the face but can include everyone in everything, and also because to my mind players with those kinds of characters tend to focus more on teamwork for tasks other characters could easily do by themselves because these characters can't actually pull off difficult tasks on their own. But that's just it, that's my personal preference. I'm not pushing my view on anyone, nor am I deriding people who like to play characters with 20+ dice pools; whatever makes the game fun for you is cool with me.

I think that those example characters are built similarly as archetypes. With the rules that you can have a single 6 or two 5 in your skills and all other can be max 4. Try to create your character by using this rule. They looks very different after that.

Your idea in last paragraph is very interesting. I think that I would enjoy to play in this kind of teamwork group. But does it work in Shadowrun? At least for me the growing power of the characters is one reason to play. You can see how your characters grow and get more abilities. In Shadowrun karma rewards are so small that you very seldom rise skills to higher levels than 5. The teamwork group characters are mediocre just after chargen and after 10 runs not much better. Without growing potential I think that the game becomes very uninteresting after some runs at least for me. Maybe it's only me, but growing potential is very essential, I can see ordinary persons and successes in real life enough.

If you optimize your character, you can see him to grow much faster, because with joat you can easily train new skills to max 4 and rise those low attributes to higher level.

gradivus

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <01-08-16/1408:51> »
I'm going to single you out Whiskeyjack for this example

You're a power gamer. Period.
I don't say this as a bad thing. It just is.
Many people are.

While I don't follow everything you advise, they're all solid points.

But what your builds aren't is excessive cheese.

I posted a build as part of a discussion.
It had modular arms and legs for a total of 36 Armor.
That's just too much cheese IMHO.
As a GM, I'd look at the player and say, go find another table.
Call me a snob.

So while I don't mind power gaming in and of itself- I still respect the table I'm at.
I'm playing with Whiskeyjack and my NJ SR friends, I'm going to optimize to the hilt.
Otherwise I'm either a drag on the party and/or my character habitual burns edge to survive challenges that are appropriate to the rest of the group.
If I'm playing a PBP and the other three guys have 12-13ish DPs, making a combat character with dodge pools in the 20s plus automatics DP 17+ means I'm getting the other guys killed if the GM throws NPC who are able to challenge me.
So at that table I'm toning it down.

Does this mean I can't have fun both ways?
No, I can most certainly have fun with 12DPs as 20s.

"Speech" Thought >>Matrix<< Astral

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <01-08-16/1423:12> »
My personal preference is to run games for people who build characters with broad sets of skills, because that means I don't have to just throw combat at the samurai or social situations at the face but can include everyone in everything
I feel like there's a fallacious assertion here. Any character can already get involved in any scene and the only relevant factor is player interest and if it makes sense for the character to be there. A troll Sam or antisocial decker can totally be in a snobby gala and be uncomfortable or out of their element and roleplay this and there probably will be no good reason to force them to make a test on an Etiquette dice pool of 3 or whatever unless the GM's goal is to make them feel bad for their build choices. This could be a fun scene to run and play in but that doesn't mean that mechanically enforced consequences are necessary.
Maybe so, but in a game built around dice rolls it puts characters with ludicrously low dice pools at a significant disadvantage. If the player character in such a situation is asked "Why are you here" and they don't respond "Uh, to steal all your shit" (assuming that's their job), then his character is lying and you can bet I'm going to make you roll Con if you do indeed try to lie. So by having hyperspecialized characters in situations they are absolutely unprepared for, I'm having to cater to such characters extreme weaknesses, whereas in a more rounded group most of the people can lie and mingle adequately enough that it's more often not a problem (i.e. they can buy the 1 or 2 hits needed to lie semi-convincingly).

Yes, Shadowrun is a roleplaying game, but it's also has plenty of mechanical rules and functions. Just roleplaying your way through social interactions when you're an Ork with Social Stress and/or Uncouth doesn't fly at my table, and I don't think there's any fallacy to actually using skill rolls when they are appropriate. YMMV, as some tables play very dice heavy and others don't, of course, and either way works. But I call bullshit on calling my preferred playstyle "fallacious" for the reason you give above.

As to combat, everyone should be able to do something in combat because "the best run is one where you never fire a shot" is a nice conceit especially for a book but when it comes to an RPG it's just a meme, and I can't think of anything more boring than every run going down that way (because now you're penalizing the guy who played a gun bunny and the GM should be throwing complications at your neat and tidy perfect infiltration).
Again, for my personal preferred playstyle, I disagree. I've played games where there simply were no gun bunnies or samurai because the team was all mirrorshades all the way and got into a fire fight maybe once or twice every 5-6 adventures, and even then they were brief as the team ran rather than stand and fight. I've also played games where everyone was borderline combat monsters and almost every scene had some sort of combat. Both can be fun, they're just different. My point is that with everyone on an equal footing in terms of having low dicepools there is inherently a much stronger focus on teamwork because the player characters literally can't fight their way through a horde of security guards on their own.

This statement, paradoxically, is decrying specialization while also asserting that people can't roleplay outside of their mechanical spec. And that's just not true at all. But not every roleplaying moment has to be fraught with dice rolls. It certainly can be, and maybe the rude decker does get ejected from the gala for being super inappropriate, but that should be a mere complication to the characters getting the McGuffin out of the panic room now that the decker has to work totally remotely, not mean the run is completely ruined and failed.
Your words, not mine. I never said people can't roleplay outside of their mechanical spec; but when a game is built on game mechanics and a GM calls on someone who doesn't have skill X to make a skill check, things get interesting. Whether that's interesting good or interesting bad is up to the players. As you say, if the rude decker gets ejected that doesn't mean the end of the run, and it's my job as a GM to enable the team to complete their tasks with the skills they have. But I don't think I'm being unfair if I play up a characters mechanical disadvantages and actually make players feel the consequences of their actions without trying to "punish" them.

I think that those example characters are built similarly as archetypes. With the rules that you can have a single 6 or two 5 in your skills and all other can be max 4. Try to create your character by using this rule. They looks very different after that.
Absolutely. It just so happens that that is one of my personal house rules that I brought straight in from SR4A. :D

Your idea in last paragraph is very interesting. I think that I would enjoy to play in this kind of teamwork group. But does it work in Shadowrun? At least for me the growing power of the characters is one reason to play. You can see how your characters grow and get more abilities. In Shadowrun karma rewards are so small that you very seldom rise skills to higher levels than 5. The teamwork group characters are mediocre just after chargen and after 10 runs not much better. Without growing potential I think that the game becomes very uninteresting after some runs at least for me. Maybe it's only me, but growing potential is very essential, I can see ordinary persons and successes in real life enough.

If you optimize your character, you can see him to grow much faster, because with joat you can easily train new skills to max 4 and rise those low attributes to higher level.
Does it work? Absolutely. Progression can be slow, however, but it's my job as a GM to make sure that players are having fun; I try to set expectations before we start playing by getting a general consensus of what people expect in terms of rewards vs what I had planned. One game we had going for a year and a half gave players very little in terms of monetary rewards, and the players followed more of what you see in the fiction where the team was literally living paycheck to paycheck, struggling to make ends meet. The players were all in on this idea, however, and it's definitely not for everyone. But, you can easily play something like what I described simply by making sure that the team gets enough karma and money to make it interesting if the players are more interested in seeing real progression. So really, it's all up to the GM and players on agreeing on an overall feel for the game.

This is a co-operative roleplaying game, after all. If players have wildly varying expectations and thoughts about how their characters should be represented within the world then you've got your job cut out for you as a GM. Doesn't mean it's impossible to do as long as the players work together to make the game fun, but it can definitely be challenging.

<znip>
Does this mean I can't have fun both ways?
No, I can most certainly have fun with 12DPs as 20s.
Hooah to that :)

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <01-08-16/1425:02> »
My problem with excessive Min-Max-Powergaming is that itīs basically a Zero-Sum-Game.

Itīs the Gamemasterīs responsibility to offer a good challenge to the players. When handling a group of the  "18+ shooting dice or GTFO" type of PC, he/she has to come up with bigger threats to even things out. The only thing the Players have accomplished is that they have stripped themselfes from interesting options and fluff without getting any net advantage.

Also, when PC donīt start out fully optimized, thereīs more room to grow. IMO, starting out with a low-cybered "rookie" Sam, earning the money and favours to get that used Level 2 Wired Reflexes with broken triggers and slowly descending into Cyberpsychosis is a much more satisfying roleplaying experience than just starting out as that escaped-clonewarrior-guy with 0.2 Essence and an 22+ Assault Rifle pool who ends every battle in under 3 seconds - at least when everyone at the table has build their Character just the same way.

That being said, optimising can be fun. But as GM, Iīd always encourage my players to give their characters a more diverse Portfolio.

I love this post and this is exactly the kind of thing I'm trying to convey, something people like Marcus can not see from behind his powergaming glasses. Marcus, you are clearly biased and rude, I specifically stated that people get very angry about this topic and you go ahead and prove me right, every post you've made has been riddled with anger and you have called me ignorant quite a few times. You are thekind of  typical powergamer that has been ruining this forum for years and the kind of person that inspired me to create this thread. You have rolled a critical glitch on your Etiquette test and the result is that you have been placed on my ignore list, a dwelling with very few inhabitants. I have no time to deal with people like you.

Moving back on to the topic at hand, I am aware that the archetypes are full of flaws. My point is not that they were built to perfection, it was that they are realstic, immersive and believable, which is what I stated when referencing them. I shall state again, I agree that it would be ideal if posters would state their expectations when posting their characters, the process is often ambiguous and I have absolutely no problem with offering advice, even if it optimizing, which is something that is definitely important in Shadowrun. I am not a gainst it, I'm against blatant power gaming and the utter sacrifice of thematic elements and essentially discarding the character concept in exchange for more attack dice. A thing I find comical about power gamers is they can rarely ever have a civil conversation without accusing those that question the practice of all sorts of nasty things. The piece of drek Stormwind Fallacy is a common defense from power gamers that read it with complete bias and drooled over their keyboards because they found "evidence" that they're doing a great thing. I even said that if you want to min max a character to your heart's desire I don't have a problem with it, my only problem is forcing that opinion down the throats of new players. Additionally, I do believe that it is worth exploring other concepts instead of following the same build process on all characters you create. You gain a lot more experience in this hobby by trying new things.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #36 on: <01-08-16/1437:36> »
Well, that was excessive.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <01-08-16/1440:35> »
and the utter sacrifice of thematic elements and essentially discarding the character concept in exchange for more attack dice.
Yeah this isn't an actual Thing. This is Chicken Littleing.

thekind of  typical powergamer that has been ruining this forum for years

thing I find comical about power gamers is they can rarely ever have a civil conversation without accusing those that question the practice of all sorts of nasty things. The piece of drek Stormwind Fallacy is a common defense from power gamers that read it with complete bias and drooled over their keyboards because they found "evidence" that they're doing a great thing.
You're going to talk about people being rude and unable to have a civil conversation, in the middle of a tirade dripping with condescension? Really?

And again I'll note that the so-called powergamers ITT haven't made the kind of sweeping generalizations that you have. It's also really telling you pick a pejorative term instead of something more accurate like "optimizer."

There's a proverb about planks in eyes that is really on-point here.
« Last Edit: <01-08-16/1448:59> by Whiskeyjack »

Facemage

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <01-08-16/1451:05> »
But what is powergaming? 20+ dices in your attack pool? If you select the following:
Automatics 6
Assault rifles specialization 2
Agility 7 (elf)
Muscle augmentation 2
Smart link 2

Total 19. Is this powergaming? Technically he has not anything special. Smart link is basic ware, as is muscle augmentation. Specializations are highly recommend for any builds. Is this samurai elf too strong? Of course I want agi 7 if I build a street samurai elf.

It is possible to get even higher pools by selecting exceptional attribute but even powergamers here think that it 's overkill.

For me the powergaming means dividing skill points such that 36/5 means 5 skills with 6 + specialization and attributes such that everything is soft capped or nothing. Very high dice pool in a single skill is still possible even for more rounded characters. Because some skill pools are very easy to rise.

« Last Edit: <01-08-16/1452:38> by Facemage »

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <01-08-16/1453:54> »
The piece of drek Stormwind Fallacy...

So, the best roleplayer is someone who doesn't allocate any skill or stat points and shows up with dice pools of 0 across the board.  But if you allocate your stat points, skill points, and other resources you're a dirty min/maxer and a terrible roleplayer.

*sigh*

What you're actually saying here is that people should build characters according to some internal metric of yours and not the way they want to?  Because your way is somehow "better" because you say it's better.  Call it circular logic, call it a stormwind fallacy, call it whatever you want, but you're simply wrong.  Allocating stat points and skill points has nothing to do with RP ability, sorry.

If a particular table wants characters to conform to some certain standard it's easy to make house rules that do that.  Required skills, min stats, certain pieces of gear, yada, yada.  All subject to house rules and will vary from table to table.  As Whiskey pointed out, there isn't much to be gained from prying into the table rules a poster doesn't volunteer.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <01-08-16/1454:58> »
But what is powergaming?
That is a question with no clear answer :)

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <01-08-16/1500:28> »
But what is powergaming?

Well, its subjective anyway.  And weather or not powergaming is good, bad or indifferent is another question with an answer that can't be answered without considerable context.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <01-08-16/1501:08> »
Potato, tomato :D

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #43 on: <01-08-16/1502:32> »
It is a very real thing. I've spoken to people that told me I should never take Performance or Artisan under any circumstances and then he went on to bash me quite a bit. And yes, Whiskeyjack, I am going to talk about Marcus being rude because he was extremely rude. I let it slide once but he proceeded to do it a second time and likely would do it again and again. You may perceive what I've said earlier in the thread as condescension but I at least attempted to be diplomatic about it.

No, I don't think that example is power gaming, Facemage. I think that is perfectly reasonable and accentuates the strength of Elves focused on combat. I have no problem with large dice pools. I just think that it's wrong to tell people their characters are "built wrong" because they don't match the vision of the power gamer. The example you provided still has plenty of room to be very well fleshed out. I think that looking for synergy is practical and intelligent. However, I also think it is not mandatory to take it to extremes.

Hobbes, I didn't say that a power gamer cannot be a good role player. I said that power gamers are usually less experienced in the hobby. Older players, in my experience, have more interest in the roleplaying side of the hobby. A very basic example of this is if you were to bring a 10 year old boy to play with your friends for the first time. What is going to appeal to a child? Grandiose things to be sure, he has not yet developed a sense for the complexities that lie within the hobby. Everyone starts out looking to play strong characters because that's the first thing they usually learn. I've heard many groups play and they talk out of character and just roll dice the whole time. Is it perfectly viable? Yes. Do I like that kind of game? No. I'm not saying that anyone is playing the game wrong, I don't see why this needs to be  repeated over and over. I have already explained my reasoning.
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <01-08-16/1502:45> »
But what is powergaming?
It's the same as obscenity: "I know it when I see it."

For me, clearly I like what I'll simply call higher dice pool builds but stuff like the 4e pornomancer or 40 soak cyberlimb stuff--what most people just call cheese--that's beyond my tolerance limit because it's gone from "effective at your job" to "it's pointless to roll against this because it just steamrolls anything doing this opposed check without any risk at all." That stuff is basically the SR equivalent to Pun-Pun for me.