NEWS

When and where did Art Dankwalther die?

• 5 Replies

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« on: <01-07-16/2148:56> »
I'm reading through System Failure and it gives a time of death, but not a day or location. It's got to be pretty remote since they were worried Art was going to escape before the Corporate Court troops made it there. But not so remote that the KSAF news team couldn't arrive on scene and get hit by the Thor Shot. And considering the devastation a Thor Shot does, it's probably in some third world nation, as I'd assume the UCAS and CAS wouldn't like the idea of a Thor Shot near one of their cities (but not like they actually get much say in the matter).

It also needs to be after Crash 2.0 since it's in the Aftermath chapter of the book.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <01-08-16/1532:55> »
Doesn't have to be third world if it is sufficiently remote. In the middle of a crisis like the Crash, you could easily blame anything that happened on a number of causes (or even 'computer failure'). What you're looking for is a place that is remote, and yet close enough to a populated area that he could escape from a noose (forget about a corporate weenie disappearing into the woods or mountains). Remoteness is only included because you have to be able to cover up a Thor shot. Ideally, it would be someplace where you could disguise the effects easily. So figure desert or mountains for that. Maybe plains, if you went for 'groundbreaking new construction' as the cover. Now, Artie was a UCAS citizen, and while money opens doors, he would be very visible in certain areas because of that. So figure someplace in North America, likely in CalFree, CAS, or UCAS. Maaaybe in one of the less racist or more bribeable NANs.

Put it all together, and I'd say he was probably hiding in the northern UCAS, in parts that used to be Canada. Plenty of open spaces with short hops to civilization. That's my .02 nuyen, with some back of the napkin figuring.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #2 on: <01-08-16/1928:14> »
I always thought he was on an island in the Caribbean League
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #3 on: <01-08-16/2052:34> »
Possibly. A private island fits the criteria for remoteness and ease of escape, but there are more prying eyes there, and things are more likely to get caught within sight of the Thor shot. It makes for a decent area as coverups would be easier (no one wants to stick their nose in other people's business there). My money would still be on somewhere in Canada, someplace outside of a sprawl, but close enough that getting supplies and power isn't an issue, but with access to either a private airstrip or a lake with a float plane for quick getaways.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <01-09-16/0021:02> »
Possibly. A private island fits the criteria for remoteness and ease of escape, but there are more prying eyes there, and things are more likely to get caught within sight of the Thor shot. It makes for a decent area as coverups would be easier (no one wants to stick their nose in other people's business there). My money would still be on somewhere in Canada, someplace outside of a sprawl, but close enough that getting supplies and power isn't an issue, but with access to either a private airstrip or a lake with a float plane for quick getaways.

Gee, That's only 95% of Canada :P

Trust me, There is lots of "remote" places up here. Look on a map of where I am right now, and it will tell you I am 225km North east of Vancouver.

What that map didn't tell you was that to get here, you needed a car, a ferry and a float plane.

The Car to Drive to ferry.
The ferry to cross the lake to get to the float plane.
The float plane to land on an other lake....

And no, you can't just take a float plane from Vancouver. I checked.

However, from my reading, I place it him closer to Eastern Canada. Art did a lot of dealings with Quebec, So I can see him being Thor Shot in the Quebec outbacks....
« Last Edit: <01-09-16/0022:43> by Reaver »
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #5 on: <01-09-16/0615:00> »
Honestly, I'd put him in the industrial section - security zone rating C-E - of a major North American city.  Takes time to dispatch a strike team, while having a KSAF crew in the area very rapidly would be quite possible.  Plus, he needs to be able to disappear, or at least get into civilian cover.  Think of him more as a terrorist using the civilian population for cover, and you get closer to the way he's viewed, not to mention his own mindset.  Seperate and secure enough to not be bothered by people poking around at all hours (like in a residential / standard urban downtown area), but close enough to get to cover in an area like that with rapidity - 10 or 15m.

Go by the destruction laid out for satellite rounds in War! - a Freya 'missile' has a 20m absolute destruction radius, with an additional 60m radius worth of stepped-down damage.  That's a 160m diameter blast zone you have to apologize for, and if you have a target that's in a relatively low-collateral-damage area (i.e. only a handful of casualties instead of 1500), well - when literally every single top corporation in the world turns and looks at you, whether you're a city or a nation, and tells you to butt the hell out, you'd probably grumble a bit but back down, because if you piss them off too much, they will embargo your entire nation with every member of the court, from AAA on down.  May not matter to Aztlan, but it does to everywhere else.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.