NEWS

drone mounts and extended clips

• 10 Replies

Rooks

• Omae
« on: <12-31-15/1128:43> »
is it possible for a weapon mounted on a drone to have an extended clip? Im thinking it can if the mount is external as the clip just hangs out at the bottom of the gun and the belt fed/ammo bay is more for pop up turrets?

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-31-15/1137:52> »
I would say yes, personally.

It's a weapon modification so I don't see why it couldn't be used in concert with the optional drone modification rules. Add an extended clip (+50% or +100%), then optionally add a second bin as per the Expanded Ammunition Bay.

Then again, I always felt anthropomorphic drones would be superior combat chassis because of their ability to scale obstacles, hold any weapon, switch ammunition/magazines, throw grenades, essentially anything a metahuman could do, just with less durability.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-31-15/1247:11> »
because roto drones do it better save for closed doors, course thats what primitive drone hands are for

UnLimiTeD

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-31-15/1252:34> »
No one's stopping you from adding a full drone arm to your drone.
Get 2, and you can even wield a rifle without a weapon mount.
On a roto drone, I wouldn't even call that cheating. :P
Still waiting on a Vector-Thrust Liminal Body.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-31-15/1341:18> »
Ares Alpha with an Extended Clip 2 = 84 rounds, which with a second ammo bin becomes 168. That's a lot of dakka and you just need a Large weapon mount for it. Can even conceal it with the pop-up mount option.

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-31-15/1409:45> »
Ares Alpha with an Extended Clip 2 = 84 rounds, which with a second ammo bin becomes 168. That's a lot of dakka and you just need a Large weapon mount for it. Can even conceal it with the pop-up mount option.
or can go praetor for 200 rounds or raiden for 240 or almost as much as you can fit in a standard vehicle weapon mount

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-31-15/1412:22> »
Yeah, I was also looking at the Raiden for this role.  It's actually a tad cheaper than the Alpha and it's not clear to me how the underbarrel grenade launcher and MP interact--it looks like an assault rifle + grenade launcher would take 7 MP.
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <12-31-15/1427:42> »
That doesn't make any sense, Kincaid. A weapon mount capable of holding a Heavy Machine Gun is 6 MPs. The way I see it you just need at least a size 3 mount to hold an underbarrel grenade launcher, not a combined size 3 + size 4 for an assault rifle with an underbarrel grenade launcher.

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-31-15/1436:45> »
I don't claim to have any insight, but the text clearly distinguishes between underbarrel grenade launchers and normal grenade launchers and presumably there's a reason.  Under your reading, we end up with SMGs with underbarrel grenade launchers that are smaller than normal grenade launchers.  I'm not suggesting you're advocating for exactly that, but either end of the spectrum results in slightly weird configurations.  Eyeballing it, I'd say +1 MP with a minimum of 4 MP base for the weapon, so an Alpha/AK-98 is 5 MP.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <12-31-15/1508:23> »
Kincaid
According to Run & Gun, underbarrel grenade launchers can only be mounted on rifle-sized weapons or larger anyway.

ETA:
I'll post this in the errata/Q&A thread for clarification, because I don't feel like that size classification makes any sense.
« Last Edit: <12-31-15/1511:56> by Herr Brackhaus »

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <12-31-15/1537:28> »
Agreed, which is why having them as an "at least 3" MP item doesn't quite make sense, since that's SMG, not AR, size.  Either way, I think FAQ is the way to go.