NEWS

Any Official Canon 2076 Presidential Elections in Shadowrun?

• 6 Replies

irthinker

• Newb
  • All your karma are belong to me
« on: <12-13-15/1141:30> »
Heya,

The subject sort of says it all.  I am a very rusty SR GM and player suddenly picking up running again after more than a decade.  I am trying to run more or less in "real time", so it's December, 2075 in my campaign.

I am happy to make it all up, but I would prefer not to step all over or contradict canon, and with the cacophony of our own election cycle here in the old US of A, I wondered if there was anything official (or semi-official) being put out for candidates, races, etc.

- Did Angela Colloton get re-elected in 2072 and thus is the current President?
- Is Brackhaven still governor?
- Is there a significant challenge to his power?
- How about UCAS?

I am wondering, though, if i should roll back to 2072 or earlier to make things easier milieu-wise.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-13-15/1156:31> »
Heya,

The subject sort of says it all.  I am a very rusty SR GM and player suddenly picking up running again after more than a decade.  I am trying to run more or less in "real time", so it's December, 2075 in my campaign.

I am happy to make it all up, but I would prefer not to step all over or contradict canon, and with the cacophony of our own election cycle here in the old US of A, I wondered if there was anything official (or semi-official) being put out for candidates, races, etc.

The book you want is Dirty Tricks. It covers all of this in great detail. :)

Yes. I'd have to ask James, but I *think* she's term-limited out.

When last we saw, he was, but he was also under federal inditement as were many of his cronies. You'll probably se emore about  that in a Future Product. (Gee, wonder which one?)

See above. :)

- How about UCAS?

Dirty Tricks covers both the UCAS and the CAS elections. You can also see more social/political stuff in motion with Daniel de la Mar and a few other people, both there and in Future Products.

I am wondering, though, if i should roll back to 2072 or earlier to make things easier milieu-wise.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Grab Dirty Tricks, then make the call. Remember that 2076 is the tri-centinnial of the good ol' US of A (RIP), and that some old-school types who miss it might be up and active then, especially in the CAS. The 'Phoenix Movement', where certain people feel that the CAS is the true 'spirit of America' and that, like a Phoenix, the USA will be reborn from the ashes is *quite* strong there.

(Obvioulsy, we don't talk about real-word politics up in here, but, in-game chat's fine and dandy!)

ProfGast

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <12-13-15/1203:51> »
President of the UCAS: I haven't been able to nail this down officially but as far as I can tell, Angela Colloton did in fact get re-elected to a second term.

Governor of Seattle: Per Storm Front, Brackhaven was re-elected after defeating Eliza Bloom in 2074.  Per the most recent entry in the Seattle section, Brackhaven IS still the governor by December 24th.

Challenges to his power:  Proposition 23 (Ork Underground) and a number of scandals, Eliza Bloom - now District Attorney - with the help of shadowrunners has acquired proof of a lot of Brackhaven's misdeeds.   AS of January 13 2076, it appears that FBI Agent Seth Deitrich may be on his case.

UCAS: No idea there.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-13-15/1209:36> »
- How about UCAS?

SR is currently entering 2078, which is an election year in Seattle. Brackhaven will be covered in Seattle Sprawl, but it will be a while before that comes out. The status quo so far is covered in Dirty Tricks and Storm Front.

1) Yes, and she was also re-elected in 2076
2) Yes
3) Kind of.
4) Dirty Tricks includes a chapter on UCAS politics, including some of the potential presidential candidates in 2076.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-13-15/1330:06> »
Wait. Colloton got a third term? I thought the UCAS had the two-time limit.

Huh!

James taking me to school today. :)

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-13-15/1728:29> »
According to The Neo-anarchist Guide to North America, president William Jarman had the 29th Amendment voted to allow him to run for reelection in 2024. He technically served four terms as he was holding the office of vice-president when president Jesse Garrety was assassinated, even though the first lasted only a few weeks (according to NAGNA, Garrety was assassinated in December ; according to the 6th World Almanac in October).
« Last Edit: <12-13-15/1732:29> by Nath »

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-20-15/0616:34> »
I don't want to compare Colloton to a certain Russian president.