NEWS

What is actually required to run in Manhattan?

• 10 Replies

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« on: <10-11-15/2125:53> »
So I have been considering running a game in Manhattan for a while, but Stolen Souls is quite confusing and unclear to me.  I'm not sure what exactly changes for a normal character if they are in Manhattan.  I know lifestyle costs are increased, but what confuses me is all the random new passes and permits...  Is there a certain level of fake SIN that is needed, as well?  Are fake licenses now moot because the permit/passes supersede them, or do you need both?

It seems like up to B-rating Security, there's still a lot of "illegal crime" (as in, crime not done by/for the corps or government) so runners still being active in those areas without it being like, really high-level stuff seems reasonable.

Overall, it just seems like there's a lot of cluster and where/how to start in Manhattan is unclear to me.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <10-11-15/2147:03> »
Madhatterin....

Yea....

Prime example of "Corp Paradise". The Corps own the island outright, and thus have placed a blanket of laws that keeps the high profile happy, and everyone else on a millimeter leash.

High quality fake SINs (multiple) with matching high quality permits is a must. And even then, thanks to the pass system, you're limited.

The pass system is set up in such a way that the city functions, but just barely, while keeping those they deem 'unworthy' as out of site as possible.

It's all very confusing....

Basically think: Nuclear power plant security protocols applied on a city wide scale.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-11-15/2157:20> »
It's neat and makes sense in story but, like...  It's a pain to think of how to run it.  Like, how should I do the whole "your SINs have a short lifespan"?  Just kinda...  Roll randomly once a month or something?  Like, are the R4 SINs and licenses you can get in creation enough to last a bit?

I might make it Prime Runner just so everyone begins with more money to balance the huge amount of "required legal crap".
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

witchdoctor

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <10-11-15/2236:08> »
That might not be that bad an idea, I got a huge "Manahattan is for the big boys" vibe from what I read of Manhattan you have to be good with a capital G to make it for any length of time in Manhattan with the insane level of corporate security there is.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <10-11-15/2243:47> »
That might not be that bad an idea, I got a huge "Manahattan is for the big boys" vibe from what I read of Manhattan you have to be good with a capital G to make it for any length of time in Manhattan with the insane level of corporate security there is.

I think having runners who grew up in Manhattan (or at least legally lived there for an extended period of time) makes sense for the characters to be able to run without being super experienced.  Also perhaps with them having, rather than just a random fixer, a more clear "backer" like it implies is necessary a lot of the time.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-12-15/0346:28> »
I really get the vibe that 'Madhatterin' is more of an out of towner's gig. If the corps need something done really quietly, they pull in outside talent.

Most of the local talent would almost have to be bankrolled by another Corp, if only to survive the constant scruntiny of security. By the Fluff, a rating 4 fake SIN gets burned in a month just walking down the street, let alone any risky activity! Without a Corp there to say: "Ok, this month you're Tedd Howard, Artistic Tech programmer. *wink, wink*" there is just no way to survive off the local scene.

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <10-12-15/1341:00> »
Hmm...  That's possible.  Kinda janky, but that may just be the case.  If so, bit of a shame.

Also there's no rules about differences in the public/local grids or anything, but you'd think there would be some with how there's the whole "island-wide security mesh" thing going on.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <10-12-15/1440:41> »
As for the matrix, I think that boils down to "Money, money, and.... money".

Business has to go on, and for that to happen, you need communication. Which means the matrix. Make people jump through 30 hoops to do a transaction (no matter where they are in the world), and they get annoyed and take their business to a sprawl that doesn't make them jump through those hoops..... which puts a dampener on your whole "Manahatten is the Corp center if the world" spin.

Besides, the 'new' wireless matrix protocols make hacking an elite field that only a relative few can do now. (G.O.D, the return of Decks, limitations placed on commlinks.)

<Remember the old security addage: "A lock keeps honest people honest".>

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-13-15/1353:40> »
Umm... mechanically, SIN checks are limited by the rating of the device.  In order to have a chance at burning a rating 4 Fake SIN you need to run at least a rating 4 SIN verification unit.  Rating 4 SIN checks require biometrics.   You can give biometrics or you can have them forcibly taken, but they aren't something casually gathered while walking down the street.

Now, they might require verification upon issuing a pass, and passes have a lifespan, and walking around without a valid pass is a crime, but that isn't the same as burning a SIN while walking around.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <10-13-15/2047:00> »
You can give biometrics or you can have them forcibly taken, but they aren't something casually gathered while walking down the street.

> The Smiling Bandit’s report on the wireless security mesh in Manhattan doesn’t go far enough to convey the invasiveness of this network. When talking about wireless security, most people immediately think about wireless transceivers built onto towers. But in Manhattan, sensors for this network can be found hidden in innocuous looking aerial drones (including law-enforcement drones and innocent-looking advertisement drones), cabs, buses, patrol vehicles, and even traffic cameras. If you’re doing a job in Manhattan, your fake SIN and passes can be pinged hundreds of times by these sensors in places you wouldn’t expect. Some believe that even sensors in bathroom hand blowers may have capabilities to check for SINs and passes. So make sure you’re working with quality SINs and forged passes, or else you’re going to end up being busted. There’s a very good reason Manhattan has a low crime rate, and it’s because Big Brother is watching really intently.
> DangerSensei

No, the book implies that very thing is what happens.  Manhattan is paranoid about keeping people who don't belong out.

BetaCAV

• Omae
  • 2-legged devil rat
« Reply #10 on: <10-14-15/0102:14> »
"I know a place to hide just across the Brooklyn Bridge, where no one will ever look."
"Wiz, chummer. Where's that?"
"In Brooklyn."